Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Alright, I dont know why but suddenly just when I was about to goto bed I closed the lid and didnt hear the click. I was like wtf?! I looked at it and the little latch hadnt come down. Its kind of stuck up there. So again I try to close it, nothing. Tried it SEVERAL times and NOTHING!

I got a magnet, got the little latch down and when I close it, it doesnt even go into the hole now! WTF?! It was working before I used it! I didnt drop it or anything! It just LITERALLY decided it didnt want to work.

I bought this about 3-4 weeks ago and I leave for college on Saturday. Im going to the apple store I bought it from and Im raising hell if I need to. What do you guys think they can do for me tommorow when I go there? Is it an easy fix? I need it back to me ASAP. Do you think they can do that? I swear to god if they do some ghetto work like bending the latch Im going to raise hell there.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
dammit to hell, I seriously am VERY confused on why the hell it suddenly decided to not work though. I didnt even drop it! On occasion it wouldnt work perfectly but now its just not working period....

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
wako said:
dammit to hell, I seriously am VERY confused on why the hell it suddenly decided to not work though. I didnt even drop it! On occasion it wouldnt work perfectly but now its just not working period....

I think it has to do with the magnets losing its magnetic strength, as much as it sounds like marvel comic. Serious try stroking the area of the magnet with another magnet, to give back its power. Sorry had to add 'powers' to it.

Worth a try though.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
no, it has its magnetism... the latch just got screwed up

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
one of the hinges on my old powerbook broke (the powerbook with the black keys). I got a quote from the Apple centre, and the reckon the computer isnt worth the repair costs. Now I'm using it as the thinnest desktop ever made :p

can't wait to get another PB!!

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Hey guys... I just wanted to update you guys about my situation and my experience at Apple.

Apparently my latch somehow was "bent" so it wasnt aligned anymore so it kind of hand some trouble coming out. So the guy bent it back and all was good.

Anyways, I just wanted to say at the Apple store i must say I it probably was the experience I had. When I had went to buy my PB a guy proved to me that some employees were complete morons and knew nothing but what he had.

Today when I went to get my PowerBook fixed I had to wait for a long time because there were two old ladies who just recieved their first mac systems and the two geniuses at hand had to run through everything with them. My appointment was at 3:50 and I was finally called upon at 4:40ish. If I hadnt recieved the response that I had from the store manager I would have just easily have raised hell and then went back to call apple corporate to complain. Basically when I got there after I had registered for my appointment I noticed someone walking around making sure every customer was attended. When he came around to me I confirmed this and told my situation. I told him my situation that Im going off to college and that the latch wasn't working and I was short on time. He told me the geniuses could probably straighten it up, and if it really needed to be shipped, he would just replace it for me. So anyways time passed by and he would regularly check that things were getting taken care of. When I finally recieved help the genius went to take my PB to the back to straighten it up. I guess the manager actually came back from his lunch break and said, "You know what? Let me just take it since you been waiting for so long and Ill just replace it for you." I was just sitting there shocked because it was a simple latch and he was willing to replace it because Ive been so patient and he knew that a few people have been cutting infront of me (bastards with their procare cards, given that their appointment was at 4 but it was still crap none the less).

I must say that really turned my head on the apple store. If you read my rants before when I had first recieved my PowerBook I was very dissappointed with the employees at the store. They all seemed incompetant and lazy. Though my prospective still hasnt changed on them, Im still very impressed how Apple obviously still wants to make their customers happy. :D

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
meh, I actually wished it was a hard fix because the manager was willing to replace the whole thing for me. Then again the screen that I have is flawless so I would be taking a gamble again

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
I have always wondered about something like this happening coz isnt it pretty flimsy? I mean it can like anytime lose the magnetic effect....but good for you though....it worked out pretty good in the end!

anouschka

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2007
auckand, NZ
yay i just fixed the latch

cool, I just read through these posts and decided to try fix the latch myself.... and it worked a dream... no more annoying NOT CLOSING lid :) Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.