Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I'm having this weird problem. Basically, when my Macbook is connected to my wifi nothing else can connect. Not my iPhone or another laptop I have. I have an Airport Extreme and I have an IPTV connected to it through an ethernet cable.

I've tried resetting the router, updated my MBP (10.8.2), iOS6, etc...

When my MBP is not connected to the wifi, everything works perfectly. I can connect my iphone and my samsung series 9 laptop. It's so frustrating because I barely have any signal in my apartment, so I NEED wifi on my phone.

Anyone have any ideas? :(

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
This issue most likely points to a problem with your Router to be honest as the laptop wouldn't stop devices connecting. Unless you do have like IP reservation or something similar.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
This issue most likely points to a problem with your Router to be honest as the laptop wouldn't stop devices connecting. Unless you do have like IP reservation or something similar.

Well I've reset the router a couple of times. And it works fine, it's only when my MBP is connected that nothing else can connect. How can I check if I have IP reservation??

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Well I've reset the router a couple of times. And it works fine, it's only when my MBP is connected that nothing else can connect. How can I check if I have IP reservation??

I would reset the router to factory settings. Routers usually have a small push button to do this.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
When your MBP has connected, notice whether the Extreme's WIFI activity light is going crazy even though you are not doing anything with it. There is a condition called Beaconing on network adapters, including WIFI, meaning the adapter is talking incessantly even though it hasn't been told to. By the symptoms describe I suspect MBP's adapter.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I would reset the router to factory settings. Routers usually have a small push button to do this.

Sorry, Thats what I meant by reset and it didn't make a difference. Same thing happens.

When your MBP has connected, notice whether the Extreme's WIFI activity light is going crazy even though you are not doing anything with it. There is a condition called Beaconing on network adapters, including WIFI, meaning the adapter is talking incessantly even though it hasn't been told to. By the symptoms describe I suspect MBP's adapter.

Airport's light is green....never changes. :/ I hope it's the router causing the problem because I still have warranty on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.