Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ituneslogo.jpg

Earlier this month, the WSJ reported that Apple was working on a streaming radio service to rival Pandora. Apple was reportedly in licensing negotiations with record labels, but was months away from launching the service.

Today, the New York Post reports that negotiations with music publisher Sony/ATV have hit a snag over the fee Apple would pay for each song streamed by its customers.
Apple's plan to have its own music-streaming service built into the iPhone 5 was dramatically dashed when talks between the tech giant and Sony/ATV hit a last-minute snag, The Post has learned.

Sony/ATV, the world's largest music publisher, and Apple couldn't agree on a per-song rights fee, sources close to the situation said.

Those rights are usually tenths of a penny per stream, sources said. Sony/ATV was looking for a higher rate.
The Post reports that Apple wants better licensing rates than Pandora because it will direct record sales through the App Store, and Apple's restrictions on playing an artist multiple times would be looser than Pandora's.

Article Link: Apple's Pandora-Killer Delayed Over Song Licensing Negotiations

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Humm, Does Apple really need to go after this?
Look what happened to Maps. I really don't want them to foray on everything.

Bring a new kick ass MacPro and hi-end ACDs please......

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Humm, Does Apple really need to go after this?
Look what happened to Maps. I really don't want them to foray on everything.

Bring a new kick ass MacPro and hi-end ACDs please......

But this isn't something totally new. All they'd have to do is enable streaming of songs. They already have several years of Genius data to use for song selection.

It'd be great to have this integrated right into the Music app.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I think it may be time to look into pursuing other ventures other companies haven't already done pretty damn well. Innovation.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I certainly enjoy Spotify. I'm sure Apple, with a much larger catalog, can offer a better service.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I think it may be time to look into pursuing other ventures other companies haven't already done pretty damn well. Innovation.

Apple owns the largest music store in the world with iTunes. They can crush the competition if they make something remotely good.

They would be fools not to pursue this.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
But this isn't something totally new. All they'd have to do is enable streaming of songs. They already have several years of Genius data to use for song selection.

It'd be great to have this integrated right into the Music app.

That's fine if they want to do this. I just wish they can focus on more important things like "computers" for professionals. ;)

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I wish ATT offered rollover data instead of minutes....I don't talk on my phone really lol.

I paid for my data, I want to keep it, then maybe I'd be able to actually use my phone to its potential

manunited

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
Would have been a nice feature if it was offered in the iPhone 5. Maybe Apple wanted to offer it exclusively, like how Siri for the 4S?

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I've always wanted an iTunes streaming service. What do you think it would be most like? Pandora or Spotify? I'm currently a Spotify member, and I like their model of "you choose what you want to listen to". If Apple made their service similar to Pandora, where you don't have a choice as to what you listen to, I'd probably pass.

But just imagine, having the entire iTunes library at your fingertips, streaming on demand. Heaven!

I'd probably pay 15 a month for it. I current pay 10 for Spotify.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Why does every article need a "-killer" in it? ipad-killer...pandora-killer...

Sigh.

It's sensationalism. Simply stating that Apple is offering a competitive service doesn't attract eyeballs like calling it a "Pandora Killer!!!!!". I too am often annoyed at the underlying idea that there can't be more than one product in any given space, and that all new services & products must be aimed at killing off another.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
please fix iTunes Match first! having no cover art on half my songs is pushing my OCD limit

I had one album art not show up in my library and it annoyed the hell out of me. That killed iTunes Match for me. That and plus it would stream censored versions of songs I had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.