Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mykidisgollum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
All,

I've been typing on my new air and a few of the keys squeak pretty bad. I'm trying to decide if it will get better over time or not. My 2010 13 Air didn't have this - but my 2012 13 does - the space bar in particular makes a funny squeaking noise about every 6th press.

It doesn't really slow down typing - just sounds strange and occasionally the noise is intrusive if I'm doing quite a bit of typing.

I wonder what they would do at an Apple store if I took my unit by one of them?

I like the machine in every respect other than this - just bought it from the refurb store.

David Fields

Mito

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
All,

I've been typing on my new air and a few of the keys squeak pretty bad. I'm trying to decide if it will get better over time or not. My 2010 13 Air didn't have this - but my 2012 13 does - the space bar in particular makes a funny squeaking noise about every 6th press.

It doesn't really slow down typing - just sounds strange and occasionally the noise is intrusive if I'm doing quite a bit of typing.

I wonder what they would do at an Apple store if I took my unit by one of them?

I like the machine in every respect other than this - just bought it from the refurb store.

David Fields

It's normal. I have brand new 2012 13" Air and it do same. Some keys are "mushier" than others. After some time they will get normal - well I guess

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I have an 11.6" MBA 2012 that's also doing it...I'm trying to decide between keeping it and a Toshiba u845-s406 ultrabook.

Everyone says that Toshiba has poor built quality on these forums and granted, the chasis of the Toshiba doesn't feel nearly as solid as the MBA but the keyboard certainly doens't squeek like the MBA does = there are pluses and minuses to each machine and I've having a tough time deciding between the two of them:(

Raejin

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
When I found out there are three squeaky keys after I received my Air I went to Genius Bar immediately, and they replaced the squeaky keys with the normal ones.

mykidisgollum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
really? they replaced just the keys that squeaked?

It surprises me that they could replace just the keys that squeaked. I have experienced quite a bit of squeaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.