Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:53 PM   #1
asher86
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 not syncing with iTunes

Hi,

I have a problem connecting my iPhone with iTunes. I am running iTunes 10.6.3 and it is telling me I need iTunes 7. I have downloaded iTunes 7 but it won't install on my mac as I am running 10.5.8. Apparently I would need OSX 10.6 or above to install iTunes 7.

The problem is that I have a power-pc mac and I don't think snow leopard would install on my machine. What can I do to resolve this (apart from buying a new mac obviously!)? Surely Apple doesn't expect all iPhone 5 owners to buy an intel mac to connect their phones to iTunes? that would be ridiculous. How can I get round this so I can sync my phone and backup my data? Any help appreciated.

Thanks
asher86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #2
stridemat

I think you may be out of luck
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher86 View Post
Hi,

I have a problem connecting my iPhone with iTunes. I am running iTunes 10.6.3 and it is telling me I need iTunes 7. I have downloaded iTunes 7 but it won't install on my mac as I am running 10.5.8. Apparently I would need OSX 10.6 or above to install iTunes 7.

The problem is that I have a power-pc mac and I don't think snow leopard would install on my machine. What can I do to resolve this (apart from buying a new mac obviously!)? Surely Apple doesn't expect all iPhone 5 owners to buy an intel mac to connect their phones to iTunes? that would be ridiculous. How can I get round this so I can sync my phone and backup my data? Any help appreciated.

Thanks
can you not sync through icloud?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
I believe the specs say that syncing with iTunes requires OS X 10.6.

From Apple's iPhone specifications on the website:
Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later
PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
iTunes 10.7 or later
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:00 PM   #5
asher86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
can you not sync through icloud?
I have an iCoud account set up but I'm not really sure how it works. How do I select the data I want to back up?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have an iCoud account set up but I'm not really sure how it works. How do I select the data I want to back up?
I believe if you go to Settings --> iCloud you can specify which data you want to be synced with iCloud.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
asher86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
I believe if you go to Settings --> iCloud you can specify which data you want to be synced with iCloud.
So is iCLoud the only way of backing up my data then? And what about apps and music, are they backed up too?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:19 PM   #8
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
Quote:
So is iCLoud the only way of backing up my data then? And what about apps and music, are they backed up too?
Apps yes, photos, yes but you may fill up the free 5 gigs fast. for music i am not sure, but you may need to go with itunes match.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:22 PM   #9
asher86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
Apps yes, photos, yes but you may fill up the free 5 gigs fast. for music i am not sure, but you may need to go with itunes match.
Just had a look at the icloud help website, it says Your purchased music, apps, books, and TV shows, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against the 5 GB of free storage. So if I have say, 10Gb of apps, they won't take up any of that 5Gb?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
App data is backed up, as well as documents and camera roll. For music, only iTunes-purchased (unless you have iTunes Match.)
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:29 PM   #11
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Just had a look at the icloud help website, it says Your purchased music, apps, books, and TV shows, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against the 5 GB of free storage. So if I have say, 10Gb of apps, they won't take up any of that 5Gb?
That is good to know, i started to use iCloud to sync on my 4, but i started to get a note from apple telling me i was about to fill up my 5 gigs.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone