Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aj95045

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
I have been having an issue with not being able to hear out of the earpiece when I receive a call. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. The caller can hear me on the other end an if I put them on speakerphone I can hear them. I went and spoke to a genius at apple and of course when I get there it works fine.. They did a restore but problem is happening again today. I check headphone port and did q-tip thing like people have done before, but nothing resolves the issue. Did a restore 3 times already. Anyone else experience this issue? I have a 16gb white iPhone 5

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
Wow me too

I almost posted a thread on this.

Mine worked all the time but it was really bad. Sounded like a blown distorted speaker. Called apple and the rep said be had felt with someone else that had the same issue. Guess what?!?!
I'm now In the possession of two white 16 gig iPhone fives. They shipped me a new one overnight. It just comes with the phone and not all the accessories. I called back and checked and it is a brand. We phone. As I thought they don't have any "refurbs" yet. You have to ship the old/your original back obviously. They or I should say you provide for this as it is a $29.99 charge for they express shipping to you which also includes two day express back to them and they put a bold on your credit card until they receive the old one back.

aj95045

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Well I may try going to the apple store again.. Maybe they will replace it.. Was just wondering if this was a big issue with the new iPhone 5.

lls4f

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
United States
I also had this issue. I was having sort of garbled or scratchy call quality. Made a genius appointment for this afternoon, the genius made a call to the phone from a landline, and he couldn't hear his own voice through the iPhone! So no further questions, he replaced it for me in the store even though I bought it from Sprint. Great service.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
Well I may try going to the apple store again.. Maybe they will replace it.. Was just wondering if this was a big issue with the new iPhone 5.

Not a big issue. It's called "we sold over 5 million in a few days there is bound to be some issues!"
Just call apple or make a Genius Bar appointment. They will take care of it for
You. Doesn't matter if it is a one
Off issue or huge issue.

I know the iPhone cost a good amount of pennies but people blow things way out of proportion when it comes to it. Even the media. It's amazing how much people will complain and look for issues on a 750 dollar product but will buy a new car for thousands of dollars and not complain much if an issue arises or there is a minor recal. Of your phone is your number priority then so be it but their are much bigger issues people. (I'm not talking Firestone tire issue that was costing people their life)

Horsewoman

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
I'm having the same problem. I've been to the Apple store twice about it. Tonight it's doing it for the third time. So I'll be going back in to see about a new phone. They said after the second time if it still acts up they'll just replace the phone. The second time I went in they did a complete wipe and reinstalled everything and hoped that would fix it. It seemed to for a while then just out of the blue it did it again. It's weird.

Limb.me

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Not a big issue. It's called "we sold over 5 million in a few days there is bound to be some issues!"
Just call apple or make a Genius Bar appointment. They will take care of it for
You. Doesn't matter if it is a one
Off issue or huge issue.

I know the iPhone cost a good amount of pennies but people blow things way out of proportion when it comes to it. Even the media. It's amazing how much people will complain and look for issues on a 750 dollar product but will buy a new car for thousands of dollars and not complain much if an issue arises or there is a minor recal. Of your phone is your number priority then so be it but their are much bigger issues people. (I'm not talking Firestone tire issue that was costing people their life)

Not being able to hear a phone call from a phone because the earpiece is faulty is NOT blowing things "way out of proportion". It's not even blowing period. If it was a lan-line phone or even a tin can connected by a string, not being able to hear through it is a BIG FUNDAMENTAL malfunction of the product. If people spent thousands on cars with a fundamental malfunction (let's say braking), of course people will complain too. And you would too, as soon as you get off your high horse.

Please - before making ignorant blanket statements, take some time to squeeze some intelligence out of that small brain.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Okay, I've got the answer for you, as my first iphone 5 had the exact same issue. I returned it a week later and they were convinced this was an earpod issue, so they changed mine. The problem was still there so I had to go back. At that point they decided to change my iPhone, after witnessing that there had been no internal damage (such as water). I was really worried to hand them the phone as it was FLAWLESS (no yellow tint, scuffs, bad wifi...). Luckily, I was given a GREAT replacement (the buttons are super tight, nice and "clicky".

Go to the Apple Store guys, and get them replaced ;)

----------

Not being able to hear a phone call from a phone because the earpiece is faulty is NOT blowing things "way out of proportion". It's not even blowing period. If it was a lan-line phone or even a tin can connected by a string, not being able to hear through it is a BIG FUNDAMENTAL malfunction of the product. If people spent thousands on cars with a fundamental malfunction (let's say braking), of course people will complain too. And you would too, as soon as you get off your high horse.

Please - before making ignorant blanket statements, take some time to squeeze some intelligence out of that small brain.

Keep your comment constructive, don't fall in the "take some time to squeeze some intelligence out of that small brain". Serves no purpose, stay courteous.

PolarAttack

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
same thing for me

I've had the same issue where either I cant hear from the beginning of the call or my hearing will drop off during the call. The other person can hear me fine the entire time. I made an appointment at the Apple store yesterday - thinking I'd get a new iPhone 5s. I bought this one off contract after Christmas - other than this issue, it's been fine. Anyway, they guy changed out my SIM card. He wants me to try that for a few days and see what happens.
day one starts now ...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Have had this happen with iPhone 5 every now and then, and after a little while it started to happen fairly often. Ended up going to an Apple store and talking to them so that they would take a look at it. Perhaps luckily right at the time of an appointment with a Genius the issue was present so they were able to experience it and ended up actually replacing the whole phone with another one (although it seemed like they were perfectly willing to do something about it, even going as far as actually replacing it, even if the issue wouldn't be present at the time of the appointment).

PolarAttack

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Well, it turns out - my problems continued after the replacement of the SIM card :rolleyes: I went back to the Apple Store this morning and they replaced my iPhone5s. I will see how this new one works out for me after it finishes the restart/back up.
If I don't post again - it solved the problem :)

Wayne

PolarAttack

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Okay, I'm back - new replacement phone, same old problem. I can't hear the other people - either when I call them or they call me. I cant even hear the numbers being dialed or if its ringing or not. Just now, somebody called me - it went straight to voice mail.
My 4s didn't have any problems. My 5s does (still in the same home - in the city). Leads me to think it might be my service provided as I switched from GSM to LTE. Although I've been told the voice is the same and only the data is different?

any thoughts ?

thanks ...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Okay, I'm back - new replacement phone, same old problem. I can't hear the other people - either when I call them or they call me. I cant even hear the numbers being dialed or if its ringing or not. Just now, somebody called me - it went straight to voice mail.
My 4s didn't have any problems. My 5s does (still in the same home - in the city). Leads me to think it might be my service provided as I switched from GSM to LTE. Although I've been told the voice is the same and only the data is different?

any thoughts ?

thanks ...
So you can't hear through the earpiece when you are on the call with someone? Or the phone doesn't right when someone calls you? Or the call doesn't even get to the phone to begin with? Those are all fairly different issues it would seem.

PolarAttack

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
So you can't hear through the earpiece when you are on the call with someone? Or the phone doesn't right when someone calls you? Or the call doesn't even get to the phone to begin with? Those are all fairly different issues it would seem.

When I call out - either I can't hear them at all or I hear them for a few seconds and then I can't hear them. The entire time, they can hear me. I know if the problem is there because I when I call out, I won't hear it ringing. Then when they answer I see the call time is actively counting but I can't hear them.

Yesterday when a call came in - it went straight to voice mail.

Regardless if the phone is on regular ear piece speaker, hands free speaker or I have a plug-in handset. I can't hear them. I've toggled between mute/reg & volume up/down.

Like I say, my 4s never had a problem - the 5s wont work in my house.

I should add - if I use an app like magicJack - there is no problem with the phones mic/speaker. I often use voice to text as well. Issue free.

Last edited:

Nyge

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
Hi all!
Just back from the apple store!
I installed IOS7.1 and hey presto, ear receiver stopped working!
I explained about the forum, they said it was a pile of IT geeks scaremongering, then then said it would be £109 for a new display because the speaker was attached, or they would give me a brand new phone...........if I gave them £207...
I told them to poke it!
I have just tried squeezing the phone at the top against my ear, guess what, it works!

Thanks ladies and gents, you're all my hero's x

yorkieman

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
Thats really strange because i had exactly the same experience - i updated my phone last week and suddenly i couldn't hear anyone unless i put my iPhone 5c onto loudspeaker. i know i have not dropped my phone or mistreated it anyway but it seems more than coincidence that this problem only occurred two months after my warranty expired and after an upgrade.. I'm now worried about the rest of the families iPhones.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thats really strange because i had exactly the same experience - i updated my phone last week and suddenly i couldn't hear anyone unless i put my iPhone 5c onto loudspeaker. i know i have not dropped my phone or mistreated it anyway but it seems more than coincidence that this problem only occurred two months after my warranty expired and after an upgrade.. I'm now worried about the rest of the families iPhones.

If the ear speaker is not working Apple might just replace it, never hurts to ask. I suspect the others in this thread have their problem resolved one way or another over a year and a half ago.

Rickyb262

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
I have been having an issue with not being able to hear out of the earpiece when I receive a call. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. The caller can hear me on the other end an if I put them on speakerphone I can hear them. I went and spoke to a genius at apple and of course when I get there it works fine.. They did a restore but problem is happening again today. I check headphone port and did q-tip thing like people have done before, but nothing resolves the issue. Did a restore 3 times already. Anyone else experience this issue? I have a 16gb white iPhone 5
Yes I have same iPhone 5s 16gb Cant wait till contract runs out it started last June I had to put phone on speaker to make a call they sent it off for repair I got it back then about 2 months ago it’s happened again so had to be without it another 10 days this time they sent me a new handset and this time the earpiece isn’t working or the speaker so can’t make or revive calls am so stressed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.