Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Skitch Updated With Features Restored; Version 1.0 Made Available Again






Screen shot sharing app Skitch was recently updated to version 2.0, but without a number of features that were frequently used by a number of its users.

It received a lot of criticism from for removing features like the ability to minimize the app to the menu bar or to resize images by grabbing the corner of a window. Also, users were no longer able to choose the file format of their screenshots; it could only export .PNG files.

However, Evernote, the company that owns Skitch, has heard the uproar and responded. The company is releasing an updated version of Skitch with a number of changes -- and made Skitch 1.0 available for download again.
Quote:
Here's a quick overview of the changes:

- Choose your file type: there's now a filetype selector in the Drag Me tab, where you can choose between PNG, JPG, GIF, TIFF, BMP
- Smarter screen snap: you can modify selected area or change it to specific dimensions
- Improved sync options: it gives you control over how/when you save notes to Evernote (Always, Ask, Never ask)
- Flip and rotate: new Image menu options that also get keyboard shortcuts
- Multi-select in the Library: to easily delete unwanted images
- New keyboard shortcuts
- Change arrow directions
- And the old version of Skitch is available for those who still want it
The update has been sent to Apple and should be pushed to the Mac App Store soon. It is a free download. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Skitch Updated With Features Restored; Version 1.0 Made Available Again
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
They removed features? Are they trying to pull a Final Cut Pro X move

Glad I put off updating...
Pakaku is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:31 PM   #3
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816
 
gorskiegangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
They removed features? Are they trying to pull a Final Cut Pro X move

Glad I put off updating...
To be fair FCPX moved most features, not removed them.
__________________
"The reason I talk to myself is that I am the only one whose answers I accept." - George Carlin
gorskiegangsta is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Never heard of this app. Am I supposed to?
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Joserodrigo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Whats this app for? On sunday im getting my first Mac!! MacBook Air 128gb 8 RAM . I am looking all the apps i am gonna download
Joserodrigo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Great to know they reconsidered. Update just went through MAS.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Never heard of this app. Am I supposed to?
It's a wonderful tool for designers to be able to send quick proofs or creative directors to make quick annotations.
__________________
MacPro 2 x 2.66GHz 16GB-RAM; 16GB iPad(third gen); iPhone 4S 16GB; tv; Canon 50D
verniesgarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:00 PM   #8
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Sounds like something I need!
FieldingMellish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Radio
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
That's so skitch of them.
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:51 PM   #10
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
If I knew this app existed, maybe I shouldn't have made my own app to upload images from clipboard to imageshack...



Hmm, just as I mention it, it seems the imageshack api has changed something and broke it lol.
shurcooL is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:02 PM   #11
scarred
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Never heard of this app. Am I supposed to?
Skitch was (is again?) a staple app for OS X. Used for taking screenshots.

Had a pretty epic drop from a four/five star app to a one star app. Well deserved thrashing on the App Store. They deserved it for ruining the app.
scarred is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:08 AM   #12
SkyBell
macrumors 603
 
SkyBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas, unfortunately.
Sure would be nice if they didn't force you to upgrade to the latest version to be able to use the app. Skitch used to be a favorite of mine, used constantly - the icon has been my avatar for a number of years, in fact. But sometime ago, I opened it up on my eMac one day to have it tell me it needed to update to the latest version to be usable. Seemed like a non-issue, happened every so often. Until it tells me the latest version was no longer compatible with my OS. I highly doubt they even support PPC anymore. What ever was wrong with letting us luddites keep our perfectly working versions of this app?
__________________
MR's PowerPC Fangirl
eMac 1.42 GHz G4 - 10.5.8
12" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz - 10.4.11
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:38 AM   #13
roozmarry871
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
blogs help

its forum related from blogs so please kindly give me some information about blogs..
roozmarry871 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:44 AM   #14
theluggage
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Screen shot sharing app Skitch was recently updated to version 2.0, but without a number of features that were frequently used by a number of its users.
I think we're going to see this story played out again and again in the brave new world of instant software updates over the net.

Clue to developers: if you do a major re-write and significantly alter the functionality of an applictation don't push the update to users!!! Run the two in parallel for a while. How hard can it be?

The other problem seems to be the rabid desire to go cloud/social network crazy at the expense of everything else. I use Skitch for taking screenshots which usually end up pasted into documents.

To be fair, Skitch is free, so I can forgive them for using it as a loss-leader to promote cloud services. I can think of other examples (the Livescribe smartpens are crippled for anything but personal use by their cloud-centric software, the Logitech Harmony remote is neat, but it will turn into a doorstop if Logitech turn off their servers). Even Plants vs. Zombies disgracefully changed the design of their disco dancer zombie and, more seriously, is now slowly sliding towards pay-to-play (they haven't taken anything away, but you can now pay for extra in-game currency and use it to unlock add-ons which would take an age to 'save up for' otherwise).
theluggage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:21 AM   #15
numlock
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBell View Post
Sure would be nice if they didn't force you to upgrade to the latest version to be able to use the app. Skitch used to be a favorite of mine, used constantly - the icon has been my avatar for a number of years, in fact. But sometime ago, I opened it up on my eMac one day to have it tell me it needed to update to the latest version to be usable. Seemed like a non-issue, happened every so often. Until it tells me the latest version was no longer compatible with my OS. I highly doubt they even support PPC anymore. What ever was wrong with letting us luddites keep our perfectly working versions of this app?
exactly although I had it happen to my old 2006 imac and its running SL. its pathetic way of treating your users. i understood it when it was a beta app but now its beyond me.

is it that hard for a software updater to see if the new version its forcing on you is compatible with your hardware and os? i guess id rather skip updating to face a totally different problem thats stopping me from using an app.

i ended up googling (apologies to those offended) to find past versions.
numlock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:31 AM   #16
windowpain
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by numlock View Post
is it that hard for a software updater to see if the new version its forcing on you is compatible with your hardware and os? i guess id rather skip updating to face a totally different problem thats stopping me from using an app.
Unfortunately that seems to be how things are heading.
It happened to me with my ipod touch 1st gen, most apps require iOS5 or later.And I don't hold out a lot of hope for my ipad1.

Apples 'solution' is for you to buy a new device..
windowpain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:45 AM   #17
numlock
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowpain View Post
Unfortunately that seems to be how things are heading.
It happened to me with my ipod touch 1st gen, most apps require iOS5 or later.And I don't hold out a lot of hope for my ipad1.

Apples 'solution' is for you to buy a new device..
well im waiting for the imacs. maybe the buyers guide should stop counting in days and go by the ios or iphone versions. apple probably sets their calendar by that cycle.

in both the ios and the mac os. apple creates the ecosystem so ultimately they are responsible for these problems with updating but as you say they want all your devices to be disposable.
numlock is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:12 PM   #18
dirigodigital
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I won't download this app based on the icon / logo alone.
dirigodigital is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:02 AM   #19
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601
 
Michaelgtrusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everywhere And Nowhere
They gave back some of the options.
__________________
iMACAll life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
TWITTER TUMBLR
Michaelgtrusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:02 PM   #20
mixel
macrumors 65816
 
mixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Leeds, UK
Send a message via AIM to mixel Send a message via MSN to mixel Send a message via Yahoo to mixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirigodigital View Post
I won't download this app based on the icon / logo alone.
I think it's a really nice icon. What's wrong with it? Too pink for you?

That's a pretty funny reason not to try something.
mixel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:29 PM   #21
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
If I knew this app existed, maybe I shouldn't have made my own app to upload images from clipboard to imageshack...

Image

Hmm, just as I mention it, it seems the imageshack api has changed something and broke it lol.
Fixed it, it works once again.



It uses Notification Center now.
shurcooL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:19 AM   #22
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowpain View Post
Unfortunately that seems to be how things are heading.
It happened to me with my ipod touch 1st gen, most apps require iOS5 or later.And I don't hold out a lot of hope for my ipad1.

Apples 'solution' is for you to buy a new device..
To be fair, your first gen iPod Touch is now five years old. That's ancient in mobile computing terms - also, it still does everything you bought it for and, in fact, more, since native Apps didn't come along until later.

The iPad 1 has been less well supported for software updates but, even then, it was two and a half years old before it stopped getting the latest OS. Compare that to any other tablet on the market and that's pretty fantastic post sales software support. I saw someone complain about "rapid obsolescence" with the first gen iPad and I wondered if that was really fair. Is two and a half years rapid in mobile computing? And it's not as if it no longer does what it used to do. Why do people expect their old hardware to gain new features, for free, years after they bought it? I don't expect my toaster to gain new features, or my oven.
Zunjine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 06:54 AM   #23
windowpain
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunjine View Post
To be fair, your first gen iPod Touch is now five years old. That's ancient in mobile computing terms - also, it still does everything you bought it for and, in fact, more, since native Apps didn't come along until later.
Yes, you are right of course, but I wasn't meaning recently.
Many apps were updated (and no longer worked) a long long time ago. I am not expecting the 1st gen touch to still support the latest and greatest (although I would love for it to do so.)

I subsequently bought a 4Gen and then pre-ordered a 5gen.
I now use it just as a music player...so I am still using it.

I was a bit miffed at the ipad not getting iOS6 though..still I will probably use it until I pick up newer model next year.

I grudgingly accept that that is the way things are, but my biggest complaint (agreeing with Skybell and theluggage) is that the apps no longer work with the device once you upgrade them.

It would be akin to the bread companies stopping selling the bread that fits in your toaster meaning you need a new toaster to use the new universal type of bread. Yes it still toasts..but it doesn't do what it once did. (and you don't expect to have to replace your oven every two years.)
windowpain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:27 AM   #24
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowpain View Post
Yes, you are right of course, but I wasn't meaning recently.
Many apps were updated (and no longer worked) a long long time ago. I am not expecting the 1st gen touch to still support the latest and greatest (although I would love for it to do so.)

I subsequently bought a 4Gen and then pre-ordered a 5gen.
I now use it just as a music player...so I am still using it.

I was a bit miffed at the ipad not getting iOS6 though..still I will probably use it until I pick up newer model next year.

I grudgingly accept that that is the way things are, but my biggest complaint (agreeing with Skybell and theluggage) is that the apps no longer work with the device once you upgrade them.

It would be akin to the bread companies stopping selling the bread that fits in your toaster meaning you need a new toaster to use the new universal type of bread. Yes it still toasts..but it doesn't do what it once did. (and you don't expect to have to replace your oven every two years.)
Yes, that is a bit off. I've never had that happen to me but then I'm a fairly regular upgrader.

The thing that annoys me is when an app starts off as paid and then switches to freemium after you've bought it. I find myself feeling that tweaks to gameplay in subsequent updates are likely to be intended to push people towards in app purchases - making just that little bit harder to complete certain sections or achieve certain goals without purchasing in game currency or additional equipment.

I hate freemium. I've nothing against additional content which you can choose to buy, but I like to know that the game I've purchased (for they are almost always games) is a complete and rounded experience in and of itself and that I won't be left with an unsatisfied feeling at the end because x, y or z features were locked behind pay walls.
Zunjine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:20 PM   #25
crazyxzer0
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Fixed it, it works once again.

Image

It uses Notification Center now.
This is a nice feature. I like it. Just got to get used to saving images to clipboard instead to a file
__________________
MotoX Verizon | iPad (3rd Gen) | rMBP 15"(Late 13')
crazyxzer0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iWork for iOS and Mac Updated With Password-Protected Sharing, New Features [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 121 Jan 25, 2014 07:44 PM
Roundup of Features in Google Maps for iOS: Better Design than Android Version, iPad Version Coming MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 689 Apr 26, 2013 07:33 AM
Skitch for Mac and iOS Updated with PDF Annotations and Stamps MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 9 Apr 19, 2013 01:16 PM
Skitch Co-Founder Keith Lang Responds to Skitch 2.0 Criticism 76ShovelHead Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Dec 29, 2012 10:59 PM
Skitch for Mac Update Brings Back Classic Features MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 9 Dec 20, 2012 05:12 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC