Sector 5 from Element Case order thread. - Page 3 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:40 PM   #51
nathanjbrown
macrumors regular

Ordered mine! Excited to get my hands on it for evaluation (I'll simply return it if it fails to meet my $170 expectations).

I suppose I'm one of those morons with too much much money on my hands (see my post about the 1TB SSD/Blu-ray burning iMac I own). Or perhaps I'm simply an individual who enjoys spending what disposable income I have on unique, well crafted gadgets. My wife would certainly declare me an idiot for such a purchase, but then I think her $180 Newton running shoes are a scam.

We're all ridiculous if measuring our intelligence (as some of you have suggested) on our spending decisions. We all spent $200+ on a completely unnecessary device (and don't even try to make a case for your "essential" iPhone purchase).

I'm no psychology expert, but I'd wager those who throw stones at others based on spending habits have some unresolved issues of their own.

To each their own. Let it be.

I'll report back when I receive my case with a brief review. I hope it blows my socks off!
nathanjbrown is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:42 PM   #52
v3rn
macrumors regular

Just ordered mine as well. I'll just return it if I don't like it, but I doubt that will be the case.
v3rn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:43 PM   #53
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjbrown View Post
Ordered mine! Excited to get my hands on it for evaluation (I'll simply return it if it fails to meet my $170 expectations).

I suppose I'm one of those morons with too much much money on my hands (see my post about the 1TB SSD/Blu-ray burning iMac I own). Or perhaps I'm simply an individual who enjoys spending what disposable income I have on unique, well crafted gadgets. My wife would certainly declare me an idiot for such a purchase, but then I think her $180 Newton running shoes are a scam.

We're all ridiculous if measuring our intelligence (as some of you have suggested) on our spending decisions. We all spent $200+ on a completely unnecessary device (and don't even try to make a case for your "essential" iPhone purchase).

I'm no psychology expert, but I'd wager those who throw stones at others based on spending habits have some unresolved issues of their own.

To each their own. Let it be.

I'll report back when I receive my case with a brief review. I hope it blows my socks off!
Well said. I have a bumper I can stand for now so i'll wait a few weeks and see what other variations EC comes out with. Looking forward to your opinion on the case.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:52 PM   #54
Pureplex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rn View Post
Just ordered mine as well. I'll just return it if I don't like it, but I doubt that will be the case.
i see what u did there
Pureplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:18 AM   #55
noobzpro
macrumors newbie

anybody can pm me the link to order please!
noobzpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:21 AM   #56
Adutrumque
Banned

Ordering the Sector 5 is a waste of money if you ask me but I will however buy the Transit Zipper Case that comes along the packaging - separate.

Thats one good zipper I tell ya

Aaaand I just got persuaded

Last edited by Adutrumque; Nov 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:45 AM   #57
LiquidDexter
macrumors newbie

I don't think I'd ever buy this case for two reasons
  • Price Point
  • Design

But I've spent almost 100 bucks on Bamboo cases from Grove and subsequently broke them by dropping them way too much. Some people might call me an idiot, but I really wanted that dame case and nothing would stop me from buying it. Not even an exorbitant price.
LiquidDexter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:53 AM   #58
prezasti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobzpro View Post
anybody can pm me the link to order please!
No order link is available yet. You have to sign up to get on the pre-order list. I signed up early last week and I still don't have my order option, so you will want to get on the pre-order list ASAP if you want to order it soon.

http://blog.elementcase.com/2012/09/...-for-iphone-5/
prezasti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:55 AM   #59
v3rn
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezasti View Post
No order link is available yet. You have to sign up to get on the pre-order list. I signed up early last week and I still don't have my order option, so you will want to get on the pre-order list ASAP if you want to order it soon.

http://blog.elementcase.com/2012/09/...-for-iphone-5/
There is a link right on the first page you can order it from. I used it to order it, never even got on the wait list.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:13 PM   #60
prezasti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rn View Post
There is a link right on the first page you can order it from. I used it to order it, never even got on the wait list.
It must be the link someone got in an email then, because it's not available if you go to the regular part of their site.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:17 PM   #61
v3rn
macrumors regular

Yeah it must have been, works though. Can't wait to get it, although I'll be getting my iPhone 5 way afterwards. My contract is up on Oct 14, so by the time I order my iPhone it will probably be November.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:43 PM   #62
luisn17
macrumors member

Do we get charged at the time of order or when the case is shipped to us?
luisn17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:44 PM   #63
maflynn

That case looks really impressive but not at the asking price - out of my budget
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:00 PM   #64
jo89
macrumors newbie

I want this case more than anything, but I just cant seem to justify the 159+shipping price point... But I did a little snooping on ebay and found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vapor-Metal-...60892161571%26

And this

http://www.caseswill.com/aluminium-b...f851c1c52.html

I'm not certain if these will be damaging to the signal reception unlike the real Elements but it is quite cheaper...
jo89 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:15 PM   #65
alemmo
macrumors newbie

For $15 shipped i'm going to be a guinea pig lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo89 View Post
I want this case more than anything, but I just cant seem to justify the 159+shipping price point... But I did a little snooping on ebay and found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vapor-Metal-...60892161571%26

And this

http://www.caseswill.com/aluminium-b...f851c1c52.html

I'm not certain if these will be damaging to the signal reception unlike the real Elements but it is quite cheaper...
alemmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:22 PM   #66
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a

I know beauty is very subjective, but damn, those are some ugly cases. The price makes it even worse. To each their own!
Razorhog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:25 PM   #67
eldo33
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntran View Post
1. Are you a diver? Do you use your phone why swimming or in the water?
2. I use my iphone as a phone or PDA, not as a ball or something to throw on sand/dirt.
3. How do you know? Have you ever used or tested the Element case?
4. Is your phone completely sealed off by the case you choose?
5. If I run I wouldn't hold the phone on my hand but leave it in the zipped pocket of my sport pants.

People are willing to pay a premium for the case because it has certain features or characteristics that they feel worth the money. Someone likes Android and some like IOS. Someone even spends thousands of dollar to cover their phones with gold. For the OP, as he mentioned MANY TIMES the case is not just a case for him.
looking at the price of this bring me back to the show "Shark Tank" and how each product cost and mark up from each vendor profit can be. $160 to sell would probably cost about $10-15 to make. THIS IS RIDICULOUSLY OVER PRICE
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:13 PM   #68
Stadashic
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldo33 View Post
looking at the price of this bring me back to the show "Shark Tank" and how each product cost and mark up from each vendor profit can be. $160 to sell would probably cost about $10-15 to make. THIS IS RIDICULOUSLY OVER PRICE
Lets say your guess of 10 dollars to make the phone is true, I would be willing to bet the profit margin ratio for other cases that sell for 20 dollars are the same as this case selling for $160.

All those cheap plastic sleeves probably cost 1-2 dollars to make and they are selling them for $20+-.

I would guess that element case is under 10 bucks to make, if it wasn't made in the US way less than that.

I personally dont like this case, but I can see why some do and if they like it and they have the money to spend, then thats all that really matters.
Stadashic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:50 PM   #69
prezasti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwins View Post
This link is no longer any good. It says the case is now out of stock when you click "Buy".
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:43 PM   #70
luisn17
macrumors member

Quote:
This link is no longer any good. It says the case is now out of stock when you click "Buy".
Have the same issue but it was working fine earlier but left it to order it now and it's not working.
luisn17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:57 AM   #71
The Afroman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemmo View Post
For $15 shipped i'm going to be a guinea pig lol
You don't have to.. I already bought it and it SERIOUSLY destroys signal. I even posted a video of it. Don't spend the money.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1449912

----------

here is a video with the aluminum style bumper on my iphone 5

http://youtu.be/Fu43d8yvkSc

I even added extra padding all around.. still lost signal.

Last edited by The Afroman; Oct 3, 2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: added link
The Afroman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 06:51 PM   #72
jackwins
macrumors member

Quote:
Guess they sold out of the presale bumpers.
jackwins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:56 PM   #73
ARH1956
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by der-kaiser View Post
They stopped making cases without the polymer inserts half a year before the 4s came out.
I looked up my order details; I ordered the Element case in November 2011 for my 4S. So if your statement is true either, A. Element sent me a case over half a year old, or B. there were still signal issues with some cases.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:17 PM   #74
der-kaiser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARH1956 View Post
I looked up my order details; I ordered the Element case in November 2011 for my 4S. So if your statement is true either, A. Element sent me a case over half a year old, or B. there were still signal issues with some cases.
I'm guessing the case you got was a clearance. The general consensus is that the newer cases that came with plastic inserts did not affect reception.
der-kaiser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 02:20 AM   #75
ericxd
macrumors regular

Knowing that the black anodized bezel scratches and scuffs extremely easily. I rather not rub metal on metal together. Which leads to me say paying a premium to scratch my iPhone 5, no thanks.
ericxd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories