Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
So, I was wondering why my mac was so slow and apparently, I was using up to 12GB of Swap on top of my 8GB ram.

I only had Mail, Skype, iTunes, Notes, Safari, Numbers, Outlook for Mac, Messages opened. Messages didn't take much real ram but everything got thrown into Swap.

This reminds me that I'm using more and more swap under Mountain Lion then I would under Lion.

This picture is after I closed Messages and it released a lot of memory.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of memory leak? Has anyone else notice this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-28 at 3.14.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-28 at 3.14.51 PM.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 217

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I have been running into this issue. Messages was taking up 3-5 GB of real memory. I keep getting suggestions to close apps to free up memory. I don't know what to do other than continuing to force close Messages.

Smithy1802

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
most likely a 3rd party safari extension regarding the safari issue. Safari and safari web content was using about 5-6gb of my ram and the longer it was left running over time it got higher and higher. When I would come back to my mac and wake it up it used to be so slow, almost unusable. After reading others recommendations i deleted all of the safari extensions and, hey presto, the issue was resolved instantly. Can leave my mac running for days/weeks again now with safari always open and there is no slow down whatsoever. give it a try...

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
most likely a 3rd party safari extension regarding the safari issue. Safari and safari web content was using about 5-6gb of my ram and the longer it was left running over time it got higher and higher. When I would come back to my mac and wake it up it used to be so slow, almost unusable. After reading others recommendations i deleted all of the safari extensions and, hey presto, the issue was resolved instantly. Can leave my mac running for days/weeks again now with safari always open and there is no slow down whatsoever. give it a try...

I have no extensions enabled for Safari

Smithy1802

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
I wouldn't really know then as that is the only problem I've ever had with a mac and that resolved the problem straight away...sorry

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Your memory usage is normal. Page outs, not swap, is what you should look at to determine if lack of ram is slowing things down. You have over 4gb ram free at the moment so RAM isn't the issue.

Open activity monitor, sort by CPU usage and check there.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
What is that app in the picture? Doesn't look like Activity Monitor -- is it third-party?

If in doubt, restart and keep an eye on it.

Dan7575

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Memory Leak Fixed

In my Macbook Pro 4GB RAM recently note memory leak when I opened Safari even with 1 or two windows open without refresh the web content.

In Activity monitor could see consume Web Content the Safari Spend more the 2 GB RAM (Memory Inactive)

Solution: Disable All Extensions and probe one to one. Finding that Fastesttube was responsible.

Check this Info

http://atylmo.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/be-careful-with-adlesse-and-fastesttube/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.