Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Shenaniganz08
macrumors 6502

Macrumors needs an OCD subforum

I've said it once and I'll say it again

(edit: In other words a subforum for all the cosmetic-only complaints)

This happens every single time a new phone comes out.

It's become nearly impossible to enjoy this forum after having to sift through pages and pages of people complaining about small blemishes. With an OCD subforum people could freely express their OCD tendencies, talk with others who have such high expectations and not worry about being flammed/called trolls.

My personal thoughts
Sure it sucks that the phone isn't 100% perfect, but with normal use the phone will probably get dinged in the first few weeks.

No one expects a multi thousand dollar car to be 100% defect free, why should a $400 phone be?

Last edited by Shenaniganz08; Sep 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Shenaniganz08 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2
ProfoundTactics
macrumors member

Nah.
ProfoundTactics is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:48 PM   #3
darster
macrumors 68000

People are becoming OCD about being OCD.
darster is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4
backfire103
macrumors newbie

I agree. I bitched about my Wifi dropping the connection outside of a 5 foot radius of an access point, but that's a legitimate problem with the phone. I got a replacement phone, which works great. Sure the home button sticks a little but I'm not complaining. Its a great phone and if it drives me nuts, down the road I'll get another replacement. The phone cant be perfect forever.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:49 PM   #5
moneyman118
macrumors 6502

Why bother reading their thread? You made the effort to read it, why complain about it?

Just my initial thought.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:50 PM   #6
reputationZed
macrumors 65816

can we call it the CDO forum though? I just have this thing about keeping letters in alphabetical order.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:50 PM   #7
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

It is well known that the OCD boys come out in full force in the first few weeks of an Apple product release

You already know this, so refrain yourself and come back after a few months.

TM WAZZA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

I know what you mean. My new iPhone 5 just arrived, but I wont use it yet because I dont have a case and screen protectors yet. Its just sitting on my desk.
Koodauw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:01 PM   #9
thaghost
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyman118 View Post
Why bother reading their thread? You made the effort to read it, why complain about it?

Just my initial thought.
it's hard not to when the first 3 pages are consumed with people complaining.....
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:01 PM   #10
fins831
macrumors 6502a

This is probably the absolutely best thread ever. lol
fins831 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:30 PM   #11
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

That and the, what color shirt will you be wearing the exact minute u purchase your new iPhone?!? Lol gets ridiculous to see all this.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:39 PM   #12
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
It's all part of the iPhone experience.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:39 PM   #13
Shenaniganz08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
1) It's hard to guess the original intent of some of the posts due to use of vague thread titles.

2)As someone mentioned it's hard to avoid when there are pages and pages of complaints

3) I'm perfectly content reading about people with actual complaints (bad battery/wifi issues/etc) as these problems may affect the use of the phone.

4) Perhaps instead of calling it OCD subforum we can call it "Blemishes/cosmetic" subforum. Since these complaints have nothing to do with how the phone actually functions.

Last edited by Shenaniganz08; Sep 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Shenaniganz08 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:45 PM   #14
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

We always get OCD people every single year regardless of the issues, but it seems worse this year because of a batch of iPhone 5 (both black and white models) arriving nicked and scratched out of the box. It certainly wasn't this bad with previous generation iPhones.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:51 PM   #15
Shenaniganz08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
We always get OCD people every single year regardless of the issues, but it seems worse this year because of a batch of iPhone 5 (both black and white models) arriving nicked and scratched out of the box. It certainly wasn't this bad with previous generation iPhones.
Not true this crap happens every time an iPhone is released. Or did we all already forget about all the "yellow screen" complaints
Shenaniganz08 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:52 PM   #16
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:

Just my initial thought.
Because you have to read subject line after subject line of the same crap before you get to a thread that's actually worth reading. Same thing goes for duplicate threads. They make the forum difficult to navigate for useful threads.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:54 PM   #17
nostresshere
macrumors 68020

i have to agree.

This forum has gone from sharing and offering value added information to just a...... well.....
nostresshere is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:56 PM   #18
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniganz08 View Post
Not true this crap happens every time an iPhone is released. Or did we all already forget about all the "yellow screen" complaints
I didn't say it doesn't happen, but it seems worse this year (the "yellow screen" complaints pale in comparison to the nicked and scratched out of the box complaints).
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:04 AM   #19
Shenaniganz08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
I didn't say it doesn't happen, but it seems worse this year (the "yellow screen" complaints pale in comparison to the nicked and scratched out of the box complaints).
Not really. All of these threads/complaints every year are always about not receiving a "perfect phone" straight out of the box.

There were people who replaced their iP4's 5-10 times because their screen looked yellow

and before that you had people doing the same thing because of a tiny speck of dust

and before that you had people doing the same thing because of a single stuck subpixel

etc etc
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:06 AM   #20
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
None of the posts represent OCD. The correct term is anal retentive.

From the article:
"The term anal-retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person."
PNutts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:10 AM   #21
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Not really. All of these threads/complaints every year are always about not receiving a "perfect phone" straight out of the box.

There were people who replaced their iP4's 5-10 times because their screen looked yellow

and before that you had people doing the same thing because of a tiny speck of dust

and before that you had people doing the same thing because of a single stuck subpixel

etc etc
Yellow screens are subjective. A tiny speak of dust and a single stuck subpixel are clearly OCD. However, nicked and scratched out of the box is obvious to the vast majority of the population and that's what makes it worse.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:11 AM   #22
Knowlege Bomb
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post

From the article:
"The term anal-retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person."
Thank you. There isn't much more around this forum that bothers me more than people describing the perfectionist tendencies as OCD. Have a look around the internet and educate yourselves on what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder actually entails.
Knowlege Bomb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:15 AM   #23
Shenaniganz08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post

From the article:
I'm well aware that its not 100% accurate to use that term, but it's commonly used/easily understood what I meant by most people.

For example a lot of people will incorrectly call crossed eyes (medical term:strabismus) "lazy eyed" but that term actually refers to the medical condition amblyopia.

There are many terms used to describe the same kind of personality. A more medically correct term is OCPD.

Look at this post for example, its one of the worst examples I've seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboyz View Post
mine have a gap and jagged line between glass and aluminium. :C
Gonna call them on Monday for a new set exchange.

Last edited by Shenaniganz08; Sep 29, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:31 AM   #24
TSX
macrumors 68030

The iPhone is a tool, not some kind of holy grail. Scuffs, scratches, and dust dont affect the performance.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:40 AM   #25
SandboxGeneral

Just to be clear about OCD...

Quote:
Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions).

Often the person carries out the behaviors to get rid of the obsessive thoughts, but this only provides temporary relief. Not performing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety.
I think the correct way to classify the OP's concerns is to say that some folks are just more picky than others about the build quality of their devices.

With that said, I don't believe we need another sub-forum to address these issues. In time, likely not too much, it will die down and things will return to a more normal status in the iPhone forums. It's only been a week and many people still haven't received their orders yet.

This shouldn't be a long term issue of discussion warranting a new sub-forum. Creating one would give a permanent solution to a temporary issue.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback