Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puffmarvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
NY
hey all... since some of you are extremely wise in your apple info... i figured i would ask this... what is the font apple uses for their switch ads? trebuchet ms is close but its just not it. not the apple.com/switch part but this font in the pictured attached below. thanks in advance!!

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Apple has always used Adobe Garamond for years.

They changed with 10.2 (see attached pic.)

The font in question is a modified version of Adobe's Myriad font.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Yeah...

Yeah, I'm quite a fan of Adobe Garamond, and I kind of like the new Sans Serif one. But it doesn't look like Apple's completely dropped Garamond from their marketing campaigns. I think they're just looking for some fresh look. In my city (San Fran) they just put up the huge billboard iPod ad, caption reading: "Hello, Stocking". And that was just last week. I think they're just capitalizing on two font choices. I just hope that "Powerbook" on my new 1 Ghtz is still in Garamond, or I'm gonna sue! :D

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Anyone know where I can get Apple Garamond? For that matter, does anyone know of a good (and free) Bembo floating around out there??

Taft

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
The first link seems to have a picture of the font suitcase from the Finder and a link to a presentation on the altavec unit. Nothing more. You are referring to the Japanese site, right??

I've already been through dozens of font sites and google searches trying to find an acceptable Bembo for free. I thought someone here might know where I could get a free version of it or the nice looking Apple Garamond.

Taft

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Taft
Oops. The SECOND link has the font. Thanks arn.

Taft

first... second... whatever... :)

arn

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Apple Garamond?

I'm pretty sure it's called Adobe Garamond. I've been a type designer for a while and Adobe Garamond is the version that Apple uses. There's many different Garamonds (ITC, Old Style) but I've never heard of "Apple" Garamond.
Just a thought, I could be wrong I suppose.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by puffmarvin
sorry if this is a stupid question... but what is "Bembo" ?

Its a font. Its used in a lot (if not most) printings of novels. Its a really nice lookig font in print.

If you have any books in the Everyman's Library series (they print Novels from Gabriel Garcia Marquez to Updike to Nabokov), they are always printed in Bembo.

Taft

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Well I like the Myriad font instead, of the old Times-like font called Garamond. I use it in reports, and it's my default for Appleworks. I also use it to display the time, in the corner of the screen; it looks better than the Ludica Grande Apple uses for default. :p

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
To whoever asked if it was "Apple" Garamond or "Adobe" Garamond:

Believe me, it's Adobe Garamond. ;) :p

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Hmm... can't seem to get the downloads to work.

Apple legal probably got to them for the *official* Garamond fonts. You can still download the well-crafted Apple Garamond look-alike.

Taft

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Re: Yeah...

Originally posted by MacDuff
I just hope that "Powerbook" on my new 1 Ghtz is still in Garamond, or I'm gonna sue! :D

Sorry to break it to you, bud. The new 1GHz TiBooks sport the new font, the last Apple product to finally make the transition to Myriad Bold.

Long live san-serifs!!!

(although I would have preferred if Apple had chosen Avenir... maybe 20 years from now...)

:cool:

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Myriad over Garamond

Man, my new Tibook 1 Ghtz won't quite be the same as I expected with the new font, (Won't see it till Christmas morning). Maybe I'm just a traditionalist. I just love any form of Garamond, but I'll have to get used to Myriad now. I just have to repeat to myself, ("Superdrive, superdrive, superdrive......") I noticed the new font on the 17-ince iMac so I had a feeling. As long as there's still a white apple on the back I'm happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.