Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justjax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Got my new iPhone 5 yesterday and seem to be having multiple issues with connectivity and wifi. Getting no signal (3G) repeatedly and wifi showing as working but not transferring anything, etc. Also, with only minimal use today between 8am - 1pm, I'm down to 33%, seems to be sucking the life out of the battery.

Anyway, to the point, phone was restored out of the box from my 4S iCloud back up. Thinking of doing restore and setting up as a new phone. Don't care about having to reinstall apps, but want to keep all my SMS's and iMessages and be able to restore them so they looking like they were orginally (as seperate contacts/threads, original sent/received dates etc). Don't just want to back them up to a pc to view as a text file or on the PC. Does such a app or software program exist?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't know if you can restore the SMS/iMessages back to the phone the way you describe, but you can back them all up to your computer separate from iTunes and view them as well.

It's a paid app though you can use a trial version for while. It's called PhoneView.

justjax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
I don't know if you can restore the SMS/iMessages back to the phone the way you describe, but you can back them all up to your computer separate from iTunes and view them as well.

It's a paid app though you can use a trial version for while. It's called PhoneView.

Thanks Sandbox, looks like a good app, but doesn't restore, but temped to use it tho, except it appears to be Mac only and while I have an iPhone and iPad, don't have mac and my iTunes is on a windows pc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.