Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Well after a few months of complaining on here that my iPad one is practically unusable since iOS 5.1.1 I solved the problem. I had tried rebooting, closing background apps, and restoring with no luck. The solution was to put the iPad in DFU mode, completely wipe it, then setup as new iPad, and reinstall everything from scratch. The whole process took about 2 hours and I lost all of my app data but it was worth it; the iPad runs like it is [almost] brand new now. I think the problem must have had something to do with the app data - like the Apple equivalent of registry errors. Or maybe it had a virus???

I also have the multitasking gestures off. That by itself makes a noticeable difference.

A short list of problems that wiping and setting up as a new iPad solved:
Keyboard lag
Lag when swiping between screens
~20 seconds to open apps like iBooks
-reduced shutdown and boot time by 10 seconds!

Last edited:

dougb256

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
This sounds like something I need to do, but am a little hesitant. From what I've read about DFU mode, once you're there the screen is black. How did you completely wipe it and then set up as a new iPad? How did you re-install your apps?

Thanks,
Doug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.