Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:49 PM   #51
ShiTzuism
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Why don't you guys get a regular stand like the elago
A little tacky in my opinion. I like the purpose of a dock but to elevate my phone in such a manner as the Elago isnt exactly low profile. A little too blatant if you will.. I personally prefer the look of a low profile design.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by janita View Post
Those are the only two finishes. The ones I had were black. I never had a problem with them getting scratched, but then they pretty much stayed in one place. I don't think they would have scratched easily. Another thing I liked about them was how heavy and solid they were - very stable and not something you could accidentally bump into and send flying.
Do you have the new iphone? Hows your Ano doin? Everybody I know including myself is having scratching issues sans case. Ive noticed the same with other Anodized products ive owned. The process seems to give the piece a nice finish but ive never found it to be very resilient
ShiTzuism is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:09 AM   #52
janita
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiTzuism View Post
A little tacky in my opinion. I like the purpose of a dock but to elevate my phone in such a manner as the Elago isnt exactly low profile. A little too blatant if you will.. I personally prefer the look of a low profile design.

----------

Do you have the new iphone? Hows your Ano doin? Everybody I know including myself is having scratching issues sans case. Ive noticed the same with other Anodized products ive owned. The process seems to give the piece a nice finish but ive never found it to be very resilient
Yes, I have the new iPhone - black. It was in great shape out of the box. I put it in a case immediately so I've had no issues so far with it getting scuffed/scratched/etc.
janita is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:32 AM   #53
cableguy619
macrumors regular

I grabbed a Foundation Dock with an extra cable and car charger. Pretty neat idea and possibilites. Just have to wait another 2-3 months, but a great concept in my opinion.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:32 PM   #54
geko29
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupend88 View Post
The Lightning Dock's definitely has the nicest looking dock, but for $60? Cmon now, if I wait a couple months more will be out for a cheaper price.
$45 for hardwood with no back support, seems reasonable to me for a very nice looking stand.
geko29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:41 PM   #55
The Flying Kite
macrumors regular

I ordered the Lightning Dock, hardwood with back support, but no connector. I'm interested to see how it looks!
The Flying Kite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:52 PM   #56
mcdj
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
$45 for hardwood with no back support, seems reasonable to me for a very nice looking stand.
Looks like a Pocket PC dock ca. 1999 to me.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 05:19 PM   #57
wehatewires
macrumors newbie

Thing with all new docks for iPhone 5 is that they will need to be twice as heavy so you could undock them with one hand only.
Here's vapor dock for example, even if you upgrade the cable somehow, lightning cable will still hold onto the iPhone too strong.

One solution would be to make a custom connector without the tiny divots on sides, but there's a theory that iPhone uses the spring mechanism inside to ground the pins by the divots and might hinder the usage somehow. The pins are incredibly tiny and the space between them even more so, if the connector is smaller in size or doesn't hold on perfectly the pins won't connect properly.

If you guys are interested we did some tests with a few docks and a specially developed weighing device on our website, I hope this isn't too spammy... we aren't selling anything so perhaps it's okay if we post a link? If not, please let us know. http://dockforiphone.com/docks-for-i...twice-as-heav/

Anyway we're keeping an eye on all new docks for iphones and will let you guys know if there's any new development.

Oh by the way, about the Lightning Dock, check out their video, if you look closely you can see the hand in video pushes the iphone off the dock with 2 fingers behind the iphone when undocking, it's easy to miss but if you try to undock it with one hand, the dock will simply rise up in the air.
wehatewires is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 05:49 PM   #58
The Flying Kite
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehatewires View Post
Thing with all new docks for iPhone 5 is that they will need to be twice as heavy so you could undock them with one hand only.
Here's vapor dock for example, even if you upgrade the cable somehow, lightning cable will still hold onto the iPhone too strong.

One solution would be to make a custom connector without the tiny divots on sides, but there's a theory that iPhone uses the spring mechanism inside to ground the pins by the divots and might hinder the usage somehow. The pins are incredibly tiny and the space between them even more so, if the connector is smaller in size or doesn't hold on perfectly the pins won't connect properly.

If you guys are interested we did some tests with a few docks and a specially developed weighing device on our website, I hope this isn't too spammy... we aren't selling anything so perhaps it's okay if we post a link? If not, please let us know. http://dockforiphone.com/docks-for-i...twice-as-heav/

Anyway we're keeping an eye on all new docks for iphones and will let you guys know if there's any new development.

Oh by the way, about the Lightning Dock, check out their video, if you look closely you can see the hand in video pushes the iphone off the dock with 2 fingers behind the iphone when undocking, it's easy to miss but if you try to undock it with one hand, the dock will simply rise up in the air.
I read somewhere that you could shave/sand down the sides of the connector, allowing for easier undocking. Wouldn't this be an easy solution to that problem, for the time being?
The Flying Kite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 06:01 PM   #59
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

I'm quite annoyed that apple is restricting 3rd party accessories so much. IMO it was the wide spread availability of accessories that drew many people to the iphone
tmanto02 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:00 PM   #60
Quu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanto02 View Post
I'm quite annoyed that apple is restricting 3rd party accessories so much. IMO it was the wide spread availability of accessories that drew many people to the iphone
Exactly how I feel.

Phil Schiller said most people don't need a dock because they use a clock or stereo with a built in dock for their phones but the way things are going we won't even have those for months.

I thought by now a dock would be on the market, one that doesn't need you to put your own cable through the middle. Something tiny like the 4/4S dock. But nothing thus far. I'm annoyed about this situation.

Another annoying thing is the adapters are all out of stock and even the lightening cables are out of stock. Apple has really mismanaged this whole situation and the fact they've included a chip in the cable is just going to drive up accessory prices and cause even more delays.
Quu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 02:28 PM   #61
lupend88
macrumors regular

The Lightning Dock released a new color to their iPhone 5 dock lineup! Anodized Black Aluminum! I might have to pull the trigger on this, it will look great with my Slate iPhone 5.
lupend88 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 03:05 PM   #62
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quick update, I received my Lenntek Sonix Dock today. Needless to say, I will be returning it, as its 100% functionally useless. I'll post up a dedicated review thread in a few hours once I can get pics and vids together, but suffice to say, this is not worth the $39.99 price tag.
Senseotech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 03:22 PM   #63
lupend88
macrumors regular

Edit: nvm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 04:06 PM   #64
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

i like "The Lightning Dock" the aluminum one but i dunno i feel like there will be something much simpler than this i'm just not sure i can wait longer for a dock...
animatedude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 04:33 PM   #65
J.C
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedude View Post
i like "The Lightning Dock" the aluminum one but i dunno i feel like there will be something much simpler than this i'm just not sure i can wait longer for a dock...
I was just about to buy one but noticed they mention a discount code for following and tweeting about them. I have. But not sure how I get the discount code.
J.C is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 04:57 PM   #66
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors Demi-God

Switched to the SGP stand. Nice little accessory and doesn't matter the connector. Not a true dock in the sense that you can't just drop it in, but it has versatility. Portrait or landscape and will even manage the iPad.
Attached Images

DollaTwentyFive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 04:57 PM   #67
psywzrd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C View Post
I was just about to buy one but noticed they mention a discount code for following and tweeting about them. I have. But not sure how I get the discount code.
Ditto. I'm assuming they'll DM us a discount code but I haven't seen anything from them yet.
psywzrd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 05:56 PM   #68
bbydon
macrumors 6502a

Yep, same here... Waiting on that code. I even emailed them but no reply.
bbydon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:36 PM   #69
lupend88
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbydon View Post
Yep, same here... Waiting on that code. I even emailed them but no reply.
Same. I emailed them 24 hours ago. It's like they don't want my business.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:47 PM   #70
Iceage
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupend88 View Post
Same. I emailed them 24 hours ago. It's like they don't want my business.
Got mine today. It's not much of a discount. On a order of two wooden docks, it gave me a $5 discount ! 😊
Iceage is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 09:49 PM   #71
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceage View Post
Got mine today. It's not much of a discount. On a order of two wooden docks, it gave me a $5 discount ! 😊
Care to post the discount code here? I don't have a twitter account (trying to keep my life free of social networks). Thanks in advance.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:33 PM   #72
psywzrd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Care to post the discount code here? I don't have a twitter account (trying to keep my life free of social networks). Thanks in advance.
Wow - a whole $3 discount for one dock! I think I'm going to wait for some more docks to come out. This thing is over $60 with shipping (including the lightning cable, back support, etc.) and I just don't think it's worth that much. I'll wait for some other companies to come out with docks and I'm sure the price will be much more reasonable. Anyway, the discount code is thelightningdock.
psywzrd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 01:15 PM   #73
blackoutRF
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to blackoutRF Send a message via Skype™ to blackoutRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
They tweeted that the code is: LIGHTNING
Old Oct 6, 2012, 02:10 PM   #74
Myrr
macrumors member

"You have successfully applied the coupon LIGHTNING with a value of 3.50"

Ouch - this was on 2 docks. I think I may wait as well.
Myrr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 05:10 PM   #75
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

i would be pay $60 no problem but the fact it's not going to ship anytime soon is a problem.

anyone know when they will ship exactly?
animatedude is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories