Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheReadyPrompt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
I imagine Scott Forstall has had massive diarrhea caused by stress and nervousness since the launch of iOS 6. I consider him to be brilliant and obsessive. So how did so many little slip-ups creep into the new OS release? Is the absence of a Steve Jobs pushing and focusing taking a toll on him?

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I imagine Scott Forstall has had massive diarrhea caused by stress and nervousness since the launch of iOS 6. I consider him to be brilliant and obsessive. So how did so many little slip-ups creep into the new OS release? Is the absence of a Steve Jobs pushing and focusing taking a toll on him?

Nah, he was so excited about the BEAUTIFUL turn by turn directions as you navigate your way to a retention ditch to pick up a burger.

Honestly, he knew this turd was gonna drop on the 14th. If he didn't he shouldn't be in a senior position.

matrix07

Suspended
Jun 24, 2010

I simply think he's full of ideas but not as thorough as Steve when he executed them.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

*ahem*

Every "major point" iOS release has tons of little bugs in it at first. Every major iOS release is also followed by a "minor point" release or two that hammers out the obvious ones. So no, Steve Jobs' absence has nothing to do with whatever bugs there may be in iOS 6.

It's also important to note that the Maps team seems to be organized separately from those who are working on the OS itself- even if they both fall under Forstall (not sure about that), neither team's work is entirely dependent on the other's.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
They wanted to do too much too quickly. Lots of things work well in iOS6, some things don't. Not all magic works as planned.

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
They wanted to do too much too quickly. Lots of things work well in iOS6, some things don't. Not all magic works as planned.

But it's BEAUTIFUL! On subject - he knew this was coming, and he deserves all the backlash that reaches him. But letting this get out the door and hiring John Browett shows that Apple isn't the same company anymore.

iseras

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2012
Does Apple Have a Scott Forstall a problem? [MERGED]

This is coming from a diehard apple fanboy- but in my opinion, iOS 6 is a total failure. It's main feature, "Maps" is a disaster. Its other main feature, "Passbook", isn't even really useable yet. And the rest of the updates are so minor you'd really have to dig deep to find what they were.

The responsibility for this failure is on Scott Forstall. He's heading iOS, and I bet he must be facing a lot of heat (or at least I hope). I love the iPhone 5- it's such a fantastic phone, but I truly feel it's been let down by this update. I wonder what's going on?! Did you guys see him during the iPhone 5 event? He almost looked bored and showed zero enthusiasm- all the while touting maps as the best maps ever, which clearly isn't the case. It's shameful.

In any case, things obviously need some shaking up on the iOS front, and it mostly falls down on Forstall's shoulders.

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Passbook has only been out a little over a week. Give it some time to develop. As for Maps, I personally haven't had any issues with it. If you are having issues, there's plenty of alternatives.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's not so much as a failure as a huge De-Evolution in many of it's parts. First the fact that the OS has not been significantly changed much since it's release is the worst. Competition from Android, the very elegant Windows platform upcoming, possibly even BB make it a very confusing question why they haven't. Of course the answer is simple, millions of consumers still purchase iOS so you cannot blame them from a business point of view, still it's infuriating to not have very basic obvious things a smartphone should have.

Add to that what they did with Maps, although I can't say I wholly blame them after reading their rationale (if true) that Google did not want to give them turn by turn and also wanted to increase its presence on google maps. It was a good business decision, what was the bad decision was to release it when it wasn't ready, they should have held it back, especially since they had another year on their contract with Google.

The other aspect that is a De-Evolution is some of the questionable UI decisions. We are all familiar with Apple wanting things like Calendar to look like an old spiral bound calendar, etc. But they are just doing too many UI changes which are actually taking away functionality. Things like the new phone dialer being bright white, the find you iphone app being heavily letterboxed so you can't see much of the map, etc etc. I just don't know what some of these guys are thinking.

The iphone 5, meh. If it was my first smartphone I'd be thrilled, but it doesn't do anything my iphone 4s doesn't do, and I like my glass enclosure better. But as a piece of hardware it's pretty nice, it just always amazes me that like a vapid blonde the software doesn't match up, especially with iOS6.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Passbook has only been out a little over a week. Give it some time to develop. As for Maps, I personally haven't had any issues with it. If you are having issues, there's plenty of alternatives.

Yes, Passbook has only been out a week, but the things they demonstrated with it months ago still aren't a reality. It should have had (at least) as much function as was shown at it's launch.

Glad you haven't had issues with the Maps, but many of us have and, thanks to the Map Kit API, there are no alternatives. Many 3rd party apps that have worked great in the past are now crippled on Apple's Maps... not to mention Find MY Friends/ Phone and many location services and reminders.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
If Cook has a backbone, he'll fire Forstall ASAP. The innovation gap between the hardware and software of the iPhone continues to widen, and it's mostly Forstall's fault.

iseras

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2012
Yes, Passbook has only been out a week, but the things they demonstrated with it months ago still aren't a reality. It should have had (at least) as much function as was shown at it's launch.

Glad you haven't had issues with the Maps, but many of us have and, thanks to the Map Kit API, there are no alternatives. Many 3rd party apps that have worked great in the past are now crippled on Apple's Maps... not to mention Find MY Friends/ Phone and many location services and reminders.

Precisely. I think it's our responsibility as true apple fans to call them out when they screw up and not blindly defend everything they do.

Just Dave

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011

What functions are missing from its launch preview?

None. It does exactly what they said it would do. We are simply waiting on companies to update their apps to take advantage of it.

I think instead of the countless posts on MacRumors about how much PassBook sucks, people would be better off writing to the companies they want to see intigration from.

Regards, Dave

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
As for Maps, I personally haven't had any issues with it. If you are having issues, there's plenty of alternatives.

There are no alternatives for Map Kit enabled applications that are now broken in areas with glaring Maps mistakes. Real-estate apps, fitness apps (how can you keep a record of a run/bike ride if the road you go on isn't there anymore ?)/Location locators, etc...

Again folks : there are no alternatives that fix Map Kit.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

None. It does exactly what they said it would do. We are simply waiting on companies to update their apps to take advantage of it.

I think instead of the countless posts on MacRumors about how much PassBook sucks, people would be better off writing to the companies they want to see intigration from.

Regards, Dave

He said what they "demonstrated" isn't there. For example, a Starbucks app was demonstrated and it's not ready for launch (though I would say that's more Cook's failure for failing to secure high profile partnerships on time than Forstall's).

But the fact iOS6 is basically an uninspiring mess, plus apps, plus skeuomorphism, is all Forstall.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

Regards, Dave

At launch, it didn't work at all as the bulk of people received a "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" message and, even now, not all of the stores they showed months ago have Passbook integration.

iseras

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2012

Regards, Dave

I think that Apple should have negotiated early on and had partners on board ASAP for launch. You can't release a service like that without at least bringing on a good amount of vendors right away. What if nobody decides get on board? What if enough time passes and not enough users care where vendors wouldn't even put the effort to support passbook? Passbook and Vendors should go hand in hand, especially at launch (or soon after), otherwise people will lose interest.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I've had every iPhone since the 3G. The OS has been for all intensive purposes the same for 5yrs. It couldn't afford to take a step back,yet it took a big step back.

Just Dave

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
At launch, it didn't work at all as the bulk of people received a "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" message and, even now, not all of the stores they showed months ago have Passbook integration.

I was one of the lucky ones I guess. Never had the "Cannot connect to iTunes" message.

MLB worked, Fandango, and a few otheres. I really think if there is blame for PassBook, it falls on the companies, not Apple in this instance. As far as the rest of iOS 6, it doesn't bother me at all.

My phone used to be a large black chunk of plastic plugged into the wall with a rotary dial on a party line. I would have to pick up the phone and ask Martha when she was going to be done so I could make a call. Now I have a fancy cell phone that doesn't have some biddy on the line all the time. I could care less if the key pad is white or black.

Hmm. Some days I miss Martha......

Regards, Dave

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does Apple Have a Scott Forstall a problem?

Fortune magazine wonders.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/09/29/does-apple-have-a-scott-forstall-problem/

I actually agree with Jean Louis Gassee who said with maps Apple over promised and under delivered:

"[Forstall's] demo was flawless, 2D and 3D maps, turn-by-turn navigation, spectacular flyovers… but not a word from the stage about the app's limitations, no self-deprecating wink, no admission that iOS Maps is an infant that needs to learn to crawl before walking, running, and ultimately lapping the frontrunner, Google Maps. Instead, we're told that Apple's Maps may be 'the most beautiful, powerful mapping service ever.'"

It probably would have served him well to NOT to over sell maps. And maybe even throw on the beta tag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.