Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I bought an item on eBay and it wasn't as described. If I file a claim through ebay's buyer protection and they refund me the money after all the steps are completed, does the money come directly from eBay themselves or do they somehow force the seller to give refund? I don't want to cause problems for the seller but I'm stuck with something I can't use now. If I go through with this will the seller get penalized at all, even if it was an honest mistake?

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Contact the seller first and make an attempt to get it resolved. If the seller refuses to help you out then get in touch with ebay. They'll ask you for proof, they'll make a decision, and refund your money if they think you're in the right.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
If ebay determines you're in the right, they refund the money you previously paid to the seller.
If they're not able to refund that money, ebay refunds the money then goes after the seller via legal or collection means.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I did in 2010, It was handled in a very short period of time. I got the full amount back, no problems.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.