Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Maverick1337
macrumors 65816
 
Maverick1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I believe I have Apple's first refurbished iPhone 5

Just returned my iPhone 5 to Apple and the lady said I shouldn't get a refurb because it's so early. However, my launch day iPhone 5 serial number began with C39J and now this one is F2LJ. I'm kind of bummed I didn't get a new one but a refurb. Has anyone replaced their iPhone 5 and gotten a same/different serial as their previous?
__________________
Gold AT&T iPhone 5S 64G

Maverick1337 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Maclver
macrumors 68000
 
Maclver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 3607′53″N 9556′14″W
I don't think you got a refurb... Its was to early..
Maclver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Maverick1337
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Maverick1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclver View Post
I don't think you got a refurb... Its was to early..
Serial numbers are different and it came in a plain white replacement box. I would assume this indicates a refurb.
__________________
Gold AT&T iPhone 5S 64G

Maverick1337 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:09 PM   #4
saccento
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Not all brand new iPhone serial numbers start with C39J...
__________________
13'' MacBook Pro, iPhone 5s 32gb Space Gray, Apple TV 1080p, Nikon D90
saccento is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:11 PM   #5
greytmom
macrumors 68020
 
greytmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Uh, my serial number for my launch day phone starts with DPNJ.
__________________
You'll know if your phone is bent. If you can't tell, it isn't.
greytmom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:14 PM   #6
iPhisch
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytmom View Post
Uh, my serial number for my launch day phone starts with DPNJ.
Yep.
iPhisch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:15 PM   #7
RocketMan76
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Berkeley, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Just returned my iPhone 5 to Apple and the lady said I shouldn't get a refurb because it's so early. However, my launch day iPhone 5 serial number began with C39J and now this one is F2LJ. I'm kind of bummed I didn't get a new one but a refurb. Has anyone replaced their iPhone 5 and gotten a same/different serial as their previous?
Why on earth does it matter, and how in the hell do you know what a refurbed serial number is vs. any other serial number?
RocketMan76 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:18 PM   #8
gallianp
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think that it is a refurbished iPhone..
gallianp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:20 PM   #9
ProMod
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
My launch day phone's serial number begins with F2. You didn't get a refurb.
__________________
- Retina MacBook Pro 15" (Early 2013, Samsung display) 2.7/16/512, Dell U2713HM, Apple Cinema Display HD 23"
- iPhone 5, Verizon, 32GB, black
ProMod is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:21 PM   #10
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Serial numbers are different and it came in a plain white replacement box. I would assume this indicates a refurb.
I got a replacement iPhone 5 on launch day (from the Genius Bar), and it came in a skinny white box.
aristobrat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Akash.B
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
You don't have a refurbished phone. Apple carries a separate stock of replacement phones in white boxes
Akash.B is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Maverick1337
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Maverick1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
You guys are making me feel a lot better now. I don't know why I was a little bummed, I shouldn't care but maybe it isn't a refurb after all.
__________________
Gold AT&T iPhone 5S 64G

Maverick1337 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:34 PM   #13
ITS ME DAVID
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pasadena, Ca
It's a refurb.
__________________
iNSTAGRAM : iitsmedavid
ITS ME DAVID is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:38 PM   #14
BigRingIt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Mine is F2LJ and it was ordered at 12am on the 14th and received on the 21st.

Reason they give you a phone in a white box because they aren't giving you the headphone and cables again. You are suppose to continue to use the original set you got from your original phone.
BigRingIt is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:41 PM   #15
doc shivers
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
who gives a ****? if it was a refurb it probably just needed a replacement anodized aluminum back or antenna from one of the idiots who went through 6 phones to find a flawless one.
doc shivers is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:44 PM   #16
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
I think you are wrong. Its too early for refurbs.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:44 PM   #17
7DSniper
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Florida
It's not a refurb, it's to early for refurbs. Apple has shipped the store replacement phones. It is more cost efficient for you to keep all of your accessories and they just give you a new phone. No need to worry it is a brand new phone.
__________________
http://www.hooddesigns.com
17" MacBook Pro, 16GB iPad 3, 16GB iPhone 5, 16GB iPhone4, 8GB iPod Touch 4th Gen, 1GB iPod shuffle, Apple TV Gen 3, ACA Photoshop Certified
7DSniper is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:50 PM   #18
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Serial numbers are different and it came in a plain white replacement box. I would assume this indicates a refurb.
Not necessarily. It can only be a refurb if it had a former life as a brand new iPhone and they refurbished it. At this point, all white box replacement iPhone 5 are new phones and it'll take about two months or so for them to get enough returned iPhone 5 to build up a stock of refurbished iPhone 5, which can then go in the white box or be sold through the Apple store.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:54 PM   #19
NismoRoadster
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Just returned my iPhone 5 to Apple and the lady said I shouldn't get a refurb because it's so early. However, my launch day iPhone 5 serial number began with C39J and now this one is F2LJ. I'm kind of bummed I didn't get a new one but a refurb. Has anyone replaced their iPhone 5 and gotten a same/different serial as their previous?
Not a referb, mine says also says F2L, got mine pre order. It's their new numbering system.
__________________
I only use one hand
NismoRoadster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:57 PM   #20
hollowplayer
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Relax refurbished phones are better, parts are verified twice.
hollowplayer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:59 PM   #21
Frasern1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Serial numbers are different and it came in a plain white replacement box. I would assume this indicates a refurb.
My iPhone's serial number starts with F2LJ and I got it on launch day. Oh no!!! Verizon sent me a refurbished unit before the phone was even released!!!
Frasern1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:02 PM   #22
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Mine is F2LJ and I got it on launch day, the 21st.
Hooterville is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:02 PM   #23
alexander25
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Serial numbers are different and it came in a plain white replacement box. I would assume this indicates a refurb.
probably just replacement phones.

no way in 1 week did they have enough time (including shipping the phones back to a facility to get checked) to fix the phone and send it back to the apple store
alexander25 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:18 PM   #24
iamthekiller
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Serial numbers are no indication whatsoever of refurb or not.

Plain box iPhones at the Apple store are original, factory phones meant as replacements.
iamthekiller is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:20 PM   #25
St8kout
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Is there any earwax in the headphones?
St8kout is offline   6 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Store iPhone 5S: New or refurbished ? anonyme iPhone 5 Jan 18, 2014 09:10 PM
Is a refurbished Apple iPhone 5 unlocked? mwwilliams iPhone 6 Dec 21, 2013 01:11 PM
Does Apple have iPhone 5s refurbished units yet? Jason1978 iPhone 44 Nov 6, 2013 03:09 AM
Refurbished iPhone 5 from apple Hoyboy iPhone 3 Jan 6, 2013 12:31 PM
Does Apple sell refurbished iPhone 4/4S ? rak007 iPhone 3 Aug 29, 2012 06:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC