Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:22 PM   #26
Blaine
macrumors 6502a
 
Blaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Abilene TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc shivers View Post
who gives a ****? if it was a refurb it probably just needed a replacement anodized aluminum back or antenna from one of the idiots who went through 6 phones to find a flawless one.
Lol, too true
Blaine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:30 PM   #27
7even
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
The first 2 characters in the serial number denote the factory where it was built. Unlikely that you got a refurb at this point.

Side note, the guy that swapped my phone at the genius bar told me that they don't stock refurbs at the genius bar. Nope. Just remanufactured items, which may have some used parts in them (his words).
7even is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:32 PM   #28
Millionaire2K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
You guys are making me feel a lot better now. I don't know why I was a little bummed, I shouldn't care but maybe it isn't a refurb after all.
Its a refurb. have fun with your old junky used phone.
Millionaire2K is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:38 PM   #29
THX1139
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Apple doesn't do refurbished phones. Period.
THX1139 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:45 PM   #30
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1139 View Post
Apple doesn't do refurbished phones. Period.
They don't SELL refurbished phones directly to the public (like some of the carriers do), but Apple most certainly gives out refurbished phones as warranty replacements.

FWIW, all Apple iPad/iPod/iPhone refurbs come with a brand new exterior shell and brand new battery, so you shouldn't visually be able to tell if it's refurbed or not.
aristobrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:00 PM   #31
BlueKhufu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
You guys are making me feel a lot better now. I don't know why I was a little bummed, I shouldn't care but maybe it isn't a refurb after all.
I'm glad you recognize that it shouldn't matter.. Anything that was defective with the replacement phone is still defective (if anything), and everything that was perfect is still perfect.. Clearly factory phones are not always perfect - or even functional - yet the idea of a refurb that likely gets way more one on one quality control checks bummed you out, and the cure was the word of what I assume are strangers telling you your assumption was wrong.. (Not knocking you personally, I just find the mind path of this one fascinating).
BlueKhufu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:02 PM   #32
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclver View Post
I don't think you got a refurb... Its was to early..

I won't make that assumption. All those scuffed Iphone since day 1 are being worked on somewhere. They probably take out the shell, put on a new one, test it and use it as refurb. It is nothing wrong with a refurb. Just make sure that there is no scuff marks and everything work. A "new" one was manhandled in the plant site by a lot of people doing testing, packaging etc... So there is no real "new" Iphone anywhere...
xofruitcake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:35 AM   #33
CyBeRino
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKhufu View Post
I'm glad you recognize that it shouldn't matter.. Anything that was defective with the replacement phone is still defective (if anything), and everything that was perfect is still perfect..
Why would anything be defective? They replace the shell and the battery so you get a scratchless phone with a battery that lasts as long as a new phone (because it's a new battery). They re-use the internal parts to keep costs down. But they dont re-use parts from phones that were returned because they were broken. Many phones are returned because the previous owner wanted a different colour or more storage, etc. Not re-using those phones would be a giant waste.
CyBeRino is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:35 AM   #34
BlueKhufu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBeRino View Post
Why would anything be defective? They replace the shell and the battery so you get a scratchless phone with a battery that lasts as long as a new phone (because it's a new battery). They re-use the internal parts to keep costs down. But they dont re-use parts from phones that were returned because they were broken. Many phones are returned because the previous owner wanted a different colour or more storage, etc. Not re-using those phones would be a giant waste.
First, you completely missed my point.. My point was he was bummed about his replacement phone when he thought it was a refurb, and felt better when people he likely doesn't know told him it wasnt; meanwhile nothing about the physical characteristics of the replacement phone changed. Second, you apparently missed my parenthetical where I qualified my statement with "if anything." Third, as a previous owner of a defective refurbished iPhone 3G, and a visibly used replacement for that refurbished phone, I know for a fact they are not always perfect.
BlueKhufu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:04 AM   #35
CyBeRino
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKhufu View Post
Third, as a previous owner of a defective refurbished iPhone 3G, and a visibly used replacement for that refurbished phone, I know for a fact they are not always perfect.
Factory-new phones aren't always perfect either. But if you get a refurb from Apple, it should be indistinguishable (without opening it up at least) from a factory-new device.
CyBeRino is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:16 AM   #36
BlueKhufu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKhufu View Post
Clearly factory phones are not always perfect - or even functional...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBeRino View Post
Factory-new phones aren't always perfect either.

I'm glad you agree with me.
I'm not knocking refurbs at all, I wasn't even passing judgement on refurb vs new.

Last edited by BlueKhufu; Sep 30, 2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Typo!
BlueKhufu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:16 AM   #37
lookn4wifi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
It didn't take long for me to forget my launch day 3GS replacement came out of a plain white box.
lookn4wifi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:06 AM   #38
Beavx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
refurb serial number possibility

I think Apple has a refurb on the way to me.

I have a week 38 location code F2L with the wifi wpa2 issue.

F2L seems to trace back to the plant with scratching; FoxConn in Zhengzhou, China

I addressed the wpa2 issue yesterday and received an email last night with the serial number of the replacement phone. I decoded the serial number and:

Week 38 F2L location code..........

Also, the letters in position 7 & 8 have been replaced with numbers: 50

I will be calling Apple to confirm if this is a refurb. *Not sure I can accept that for a device less than 30 days old. *

The location code bothers me most, if the info is correct, more than likely this is a cosmetic return and will still have the wifi wpa2 issue.

Will update.

Here is a useful link on the matter:


http://www.brucetdoesit.com/2012/09/...rnet-work.html
Beavx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:25 AM   #39
skippymac
macrumors 6502a
 
skippymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hampshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Serial numbers are different and it came in a plain white replacement box. I would assume this indicates a refurb.
I'm curious, did you expect to receive a DIFFERENT phone with the SAME serial number??
__________________
13" 2.4GHz 2010 MBP, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD/128GB SSD
i5-3350p, GTX770 PC | Sony Xperia Z1 | Nexus 7 2012
skippymac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:10 AM   #40
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
How can this matter in the slightest?
Interstella5555 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:15 AM   #41
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavx View Post
I think Apple has a refurb on the way to me.

I have a week 38 location code F2L with the wifi wpa2 issue.

F2L seems to trace back to the plant with scratching; FoxConn in Zhengzhou, China

I addressed the wpa2 issue yesterday and received an email last night with the serial number of the replacement phone. I decoded the serial number and:

Week 38 F2L location code..........

Also, the letters in position 7 & 8 have been replaced with numbers: 50

I will be calling Apple to confirm if this is a refurb. *Not sure I can accept that for a device less than 30 days old. *

The location code bothers me most, if the info is correct, more than likely this is a cosmetic return and will still have the wifi wpa2 issue.

Will update.

Here is a useful link on the matter:


http://www.brucetdoesit.com/2012/09/...rnet-work.html
Why in the world are you making such a big deal out of this. A refurbished phone in all honesty is better then a factory sealed one. For one you know for a fact that the phone was inspected, taken apart, battery replaced, externals replaced, put back together, and inspected again.

And if you are so hung up on getting a phone from a sealed box you should have returned your old phone and bought a new one. I swear 1st world problems.
VandyChem2009 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:44 AM   #42
AJAAY
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavx View Post
I think Apple has a refurb on the way to me.

I have a week 38 location code F2L with the wifi wpa2 issue.

F2L seems to trace back to the plant with scratching; FoxConn in Zhengzhou, China

I addressed the wpa2 issue yesterday and received an email last night with the serial number of the replacement phone. I decoded the serial number and:

Week 38 F2L location code..........

Also, the letters in position 7 & 8 have been replaced with numbers: 50

I will be calling Apple to confirm if this is a refurb. *Not sure I can accept that for a device less than 30 days old. *

The location code bothers me most, if the info is correct, more than likely this is a cosmetic return and will still have the wifi wpa2 issue.

Will update.

Here is a useful link on the matter:


http://www.brucetdoesit.com/2012/09/...rnet-work.html
Some people have TOO MUCH time on their hands.
AJAAY is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:21 AM   #43
Beavx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Why in the world are you making such a big deal out of this. A refurbished phone in all honesty is better then a factory sealed one. For one you know for a fact that the phone was inspected, taken apart, battery replaced, externals replaced, put back together, and inspected again.

And if you are so hung up on getting a phone from a sealed box you should have returned your old phone and bought a new one. I swear 1st world problems.
I would prefer a NEW replacement for a device that is only three weeks old and this issue has been known from day 1.

Guess I shouldn't have had put my .02 in in an effort to help others.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAAY View Post
Some people have TOO MUCH time on their hands.
I just remembered why I never joined this site before.

Deactivating account now, I would rather not be ridiculed by a bunch of pretentious and condescending Apple Richards for offering useful information.

Peace.
Beavx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:21 AM   #44
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavx View Post
I would prefer a NEW replacement for a device that is only three weeks old and this issue has been known from day 1.

Guess I shouldn't have had put my .02 in in an effort to help others.
If something refurbished is indistinguishable from something that is new it should not matter. And in Apple's case their refurbs are not.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:27 AM   #45
Beavx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
If something refurbished is indistinguishable from something that is new it should not matter. And in Apple's case their refurbs are not.
What you say makes sense. Hopefully it wasn't a cosmetic return and the wifi is working properly.

Thank you for the constructive input, I appreciate it.

Last edited by Beavx; Oct 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Beavx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:34 AM   #46
cababah
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavx View Post
I think Apple has a refurb on the way to me.

I have a week 38 location code F2L with the wifi wpa2 issue.

F2L seems to trace back to the plant with scratching; FoxConn in Zhengzhou, China

I addressed the wpa2 issue yesterday and received an email last night with the serial number of the replacement phone. I decoded the serial number and:

Week 38 F2L location code..........

Also, the letters in position 7 & 8 have been replaced with numbers: 50

I will be calling Apple to confirm if this is a refurb. *Not sure I can accept that for a device less than 30 days old. *

The location code bothers me most, if the info is correct, more than likely this is a cosmetic return and will still have the wifi wpa2 issue.

Will update.

Here is a useful link on the matter:


http://www.brucetdoesit.com/2012/09/...rnet-work.html
Very interesting. I also have a Week 38 iPhone 5 (Black/32GB) from F2L factory and it is cosmetically perfect. I have no scratches or scuffs on it. I also have absolutely no WiFi issues at all.

Besides your particular phone, where have you gathered this mass amount of data to conclude that ALL phones from F2L during Week 38 are flawed? I would like to know... I saw the link and still find that inconclusive as the riot happened on Oct 6th which is WAY past when the week 38 phones were built.

There is no one factory where problem phones are coming from; it can be traced to all of them as well as the scratches and build week correlation. Some people have flawless week 35/36 phones and some have scratched week 40 ones. Correlation FAIL, you LOSE therefore you get NOTHING, good day, sir.
cababah is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:35 AM   #47
Ran7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
If it is a replacement for factory damage then there is no need to accept a refurb, legally a replacement for that has to be new in box saleable as new (unless you agree otherwise, which you dont have to).
In terms of determining if it is, why bother trying to decode serial numbers. Just send an email asking.
Ran7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:37 AM   #48
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran7 View Post
If it is a replacement for factory damage then there is no need to accept a refurb, legally a replacement for that has to be new in box saleable as new (unless you agree otherwise, which you dont have to).
In terms of determining if it is, why bother trying to decode serial numbers. Just send an email asking.
Please show me how legally the replacement has to be new in box.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:41 AM   #49
gentlefury
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRingIt View Post
Mine is F2LJ and it was ordered at 12am on the 14th and received on the 21st.

Reason they give you a phone in a white box because they aren't giving you the headphone and cables again. You are suppose to continue to use the original set you got from your original phone.
Yup, they are brand new units...but they don't come with the packaging.
gentlefury is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:41 AM   #50
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Honestly i wouldnt really care if it was refurbished, they replace everything like the casing, screen, etc so it is basically brand new
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Store iPhone 5S: New or refurbished ? anonyme iPhone 5 Jan 18, 2014 09:10 PM
Is a refurbished Apple iPhone 5 unlocked? mwwilliams iPhone 6 Dec 21, 2013 01:11 PM
Does Apple have iPhone 5s refurbished units yet? Jason1978 iPhone 44 Nov 6, 2013 03:09 AM
Refurbished iPhone 5 from apple Hoyboy iPhone 3 Jan 6, 2013 12:31 PM
Does Apple sell refurbished iPhone 4/4S ? rak007 iPhone 3 Aug 29, 2012 06:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC