Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:01 AM   #76
Mr.Retina
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Honestly its better to get a "remanufactured" device, than a suspect brand new one. Apple doesn't refurbish their phones, they are remanufactured. Basically every phone new, or reman comes off the assembly line. New phones are tested in clusters(If 1 phone passes as good, the next 100 go through as good without actually being tested.) Remanufactured phones are just built with "some" parts that were still good from peoples swapped phones. For example If I swapped out my iphone because I broke the glass, Apple is gonna keep my camera and logic board for remanufacturing, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with those parts(and its good for the environment ) Also remanufacted devices are individually tested twice, before they can be used as service phones i.e Black box genius bar phones or white boxed iPhone 5/ipod touch GB phones.

-Recently retired Apple FRS
Mr.Retina is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:04 AM   #77
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
You guys are making me feel a lot better now. I don't know why I was a little bummed, I shouldn't care but maybe it isn't a refurb after all.
Well, if it is, who cares, refurbs are better than brand new ones anyway.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:24 PM   #78
Jungle Jack
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Hello,
On Monday I received a call from Apple Care about the fact that for some reason when many people call, it would go straight to Voicemail and never showed up in my Call Logs. In addition, sometimes I was sending texts on Saturday that did not arrive to the person until Monday.

After running some diagnostics, it was decided that I need to take it to an Apple Store to swap it out. This was something I did not ask for or expect as I hoped it was just a network issue.

I had the Apple Care Representative call the closest Apple Store which is around 60 miles away as if I were to get an exchange, I at least wanted a Black Box Retail Model. He called and said it would not be an issue as it was under 30 days.

As the store is around 70 miles away from me, I took the additional step of personally calling the Apple Store and making sure I could indeed not get a 'White Box" unit. I was told it would not be an issue and they even put my name on a Black Box 64 Gb VZX/Sprint Model.

To my amazement, when I got there I was told that since I originally purchased it a Sprint Store that the only option was to get a White Box. As I had told both the AC Rep and spoke to someone at the Apple Store telling him too where I purchased it and that it would not be an issue, I was quite disappointed.

However, after being given Apple Care + for free and being ensured by both AC and the Store Manager that the White Box's are not Refurbished at this point, I gladly accepted the offer.

This one is utterly flawless where my previous one had slight scuffs where the Aluminum and Glass met on the back. It is a Week 38 Build and where my last ones were built at the Zhengzhou (F1) Foxconn Plant, this one is from the Chengdu (DN) Plant.

While I have no doubt that in a few months the White Box or Service Units will be indeed Refurbished, I absolutely do not believe it to be the case now. And given the quality of Apple's Refurbished Models, I really will not be concerned when they are.
Cheers,
JJ
Jungle Jack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:43 PM   #79
itjw
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Tell that to Ran7, who seems to think otherwise and cites the Magnusom-Moss Warranty Act as the basis.
Right, and he's WRONG. The M-M deals primarily with the consumers ability to preserve a warranty (like if I put a spoiler on my car, they can't deny me a motor replacement unless they can show the spoiler caused the motor to fail).

If you bring in a USED device to Apple, and it is under warranty, they are obligated to either repair it, or give you back a device of equal functionality to new. It does NOT have to be brand new. The M-M act is in place to protect consumers from warranty invalidations and shoddy "fixes".

That's why no one can ever cite specific wording from the act about how a replacement has to be 100% brand new. Sometimes it is, but it is purely out of convenience (not everyone stockpiles/produces refurbs like Apple does). They do it because it saves them money and is perfectly legal. Simple as that.

And just for kicks, I confirmed with our OTHER Apple store today that they have been getting refurbs since week 3. WEEK THREE!!!

It's not "Too Soon" even if it doesn't make sense to some people.

It normally WOULD be too soon, but not thanks to to the flood of OCD folks returning multiple phones at a time... primarily (according to the manager)over mostly tiny cosmetic damage. It's their right to do so until Apple changes the rules, but they are the ones to blame for the current (and future) inability to get a "new" white box.

Again, Apple makes the BEST refurbs, but that's what you're going to get.

And you are NOT legally entitled to anything else lol...
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:34 AM   #80
colinawalker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Just returned my iPhone 5 to Apple and the lady said I shouldn't get a refurb because it's so early. However, my launch day iPhone 5 serial number began with C39J and now this e sone is F2LJ. I'm kind of bummed I didn't get a new one but a refurb. Has anyone replaced their iPhone 5 and gotten a same/different serial as their previous?
I just got a white box model C39J and I'm not worried about having a refurbished model. But I would like a matching box for the numbers. It holds a better value then. Because when you go sell in a years time, you have to explain that you have a refurbished model

Does anyone know if the production date is the refurbished date or the actual production??
colinawalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:06 PM   #81
Bushy162
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I'm not even going to read the description, the title says it all.
Bushy162 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:08 PM   #82
iPhoneChamfer
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
?
iPhoneChamfer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:18 PM   #83
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
omgosh people you don't get refurbished phones! They are remanufactured because what most people trade them in for is problems that likely happened when they were using it and claim it was like that out of the box. Those phones are perfectly fine so they just use the working parts and recycle the others
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:24 PM   #84
kellte2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinawalker View Post
But I would like a matching box for the numbers. It holds a better value then. Because when you go sell in a years time, you have to explain that you have a refurbished model
If that's the case, then your future buyer is a moron. Hypothetical: Here's a one year old, used phone with a matching box OR he's a refurbished phone from a month ago with very little wear.

Given Apple's very strong reputation of refurbished quality, the choice seems abundantly clear.
kellte2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:28 PM   #85
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post
If that's the case, then your future buyer is a moron. Hypothetical: Here's a one year old, used phone with a matching box OR he's a refurbished phone from a month ago with very little wear.

Given Apple's very strong reputation of refurbished quality, the choice seems abundantly clear.
Yeah I agree, assuming you can verify the date of getting the phone I'd much rather get a refurb that's a month old over a 1 year old original.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:53 PM   #86
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinawalker View Post
But I would like a matching box for the numbers. It holds a better value then. Because when you go sell in a years time, you have to explain that you have a refurbished model
Not necessarily. If you do ebay, they won't know until the iPhone arrives and a recently replaced refurb in mint condition can go for higher especially with 90 days of warranty.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:01 PM   #87
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
all you have to do when selling your phone is just get it replaced by Apple before you sell it, so technically they're getting a brand new phone, which makes the resell value go up
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:04 PM   #88
colinawalker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post
If that's the case, then your future buyer is a moron. Hypothetical: Here's a one year old, used phone with a matching box OR he's a refurbished phone from a month ago with very little wear.

Given Apple's very strong reputation of refurbished quality, the choice seems abundantly clear.
What I mean is...I have a replacement now, in a years time that replacement will be a year old. When I sell it. I would prefer to see it with the original box because of the providence of ownership. Anyone could find a phone an get a box from anyone and sell it fast on gumtree or eBay.
Maybe I'm just taking it to far and have OCD this this kind of think.
When I sold my last iphone, the lady nealy didn't take it because I said I had 3 months left on the contract!!!
I see people selling iPhones on full 18 month contracts on eBay. I find that a stupid thing to buy because It could get blocked at any time
colinawalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:07 PM   #89
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinawalker View Post
What I mean is...I have a replacement now, in a years time that replacement will be a year old. When I sell it. I would prefer to see it with the original box because of the providence of ownership. Anyone could find a phone an get a box from anyone and sell it fast on gumtree or eBay.
Maybe I'm just taking it to far and have OCD this this kind of think.
When I sold my last iphone, the lady nealy didn't take it because I said I had 3 months left on the contract!!!
I see people selling iPhones on full 18 month contracts on eBay. I find that a stupid thing to buy because It could get blocked at any time
The people are stupid then thinking they could just get an iPhone for $200 and expect to keep it without ever activating it .
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:55 PM   #90
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
omgosh people you don't get refurbished phones! They are remanufactured because what most people trade them in for is problems that likely happened when they were using it and claim it was like that out of the box. Those phones are perfectly fine so they just use the working parts and recycle the others
Remanufactured = refurbished in Apple's language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
all you have to do when selling your phone is just get it replaced by Apple before you sell it, so technically they're getting a brand new phone, which makes the resell value go up
You may merely recoup the $149 (cost of AppleCare+ plus $50) or might even take a hit that way.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:51 PM   #91
Ran7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
.......I don't really know if you are trying to belittle me or if you are trying to make yourself feel better, what it states is that whatever you are buying is fit (usable) for it's purpose. A nick/scuff on the bezel of an iphone, a scratch on the back glass or aluminum plate hardly affects the usability of the product for it's purpose, the purpose of the device in this case being multimedia. So, if this factory damage effects it's usability you get a new product if not you don't get crap. .
'
I am not belittling you. Just pointing out you know nothing whatsoever about consumer law. I have worked in consumer manufacturing and sales at a management level.

What you are saying above is complete and TOTAL nonsense.

if you think Home depot can deliver you a scratch and dent refrigerator, which doesn't affect "usability", and isntn legally liable to take it back or refund you, you are simply ignorant.

So stop misinforming people here.

the very fact that the pictured advertised iPhone 5 devices don't have scratches sets up Apple for false adverting claims in addition to implied warranty (implied warranty law is STRONGER for consumers than actual written warranty).

Apple by law has to eitehr refund or replace those factory damaged iphone with NEW iphones. In the US, Apple legally cannot force refurbs on those buyers
Ran7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:03 PM   #92
saud0488
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
who cares?
saud0488 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:04 PM   #93
Jungle Jack
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinawalker View Post
I just got a white box model C39J and I'm not worried about having a refurbished model. But I would like a matching box for the numbers. It holds a better value then. Because when you go sell in a years time, you have to explain that you have a refurbished model

Does anyone know if the production date is the refurbished date or the actual production??
Hello,
When I drove up to the Apple Store to exchange my 64gb Black/Slate 5, upon finding out that even after the Apple Care Advisor called the location and I called to make sure I was getting a "black box", my biggest issue was not having a matching S/N as well.

My issue was I did not ask to get the phone exchanged hoping that the phone going directly to Voicemail sporadically and SMS/iMessages sometimes showing up days later was a network issue, Unfortunately it was not.

If it had been past 30 days, I would completely understand getting a white box unit. It was just after the AC Representative and me both calling to make sure it would not be an issue to get a black box. My name and contact info was even on a black box after calling the store. However, after getting AC+ for free, I certainly felt better about the issue,

All this being said, the white box I received is utterly flawless whereas the one I had was not. While I would be quite surprised if the white boxes so far are indeed refurbished, I am fine with it regardless.
Cheers,
JJ
Jungle Jack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:04 PM   #94
saud0488
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran7 View Post
'
I am not belittling you. Just pointing out you know nothing whatsoever about consumer law. I have worked in consumer manufacturing and sales at a management level.

What you are saying above is complete and TOTAL nonsense.

if you think Home depot can deliver you a scratch and dent refrigerator, which doesn't affect "usability", and isntn legally liable to take it back or refund you, you are simply ignorant.

So stop misinforming people here.

the very fact that the pictured advertised iPhone 5 devices don't have scratches sets up Apple for false adverting claims in addition to implied warranty (implied warranty law is STRONGER for consumers than actual written warranty).

Apple by law has to eitehr refund or replace those factory damaged iphone with NEW iphones. In the US, Apple legally cannot force refurbs on those buyers
Sure they can, if you go to the genius bar. It's in the terms and conditions of the warranty. If it really bothers you (since you're a little girl), then you can just return it for another.
saud0488 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:10 PM   #95
Ran7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
Also learn if you are going to try to cut on someone make sure you don't make stupid mistakes like saying cut instead of cute.
LOl, you pulled a cut quote and when I called you on it you thought i meant "cute". WTH?
The term is cut quote.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by saud0488 View Post
Sure they can, if you go to the genius bar. It's in the terms and conditions of the warranty.
I guess you take delivery on scratched cars? Since Toyota, Honda, GM etc dont warranty scratches I guess you have them read you the warranty and tell you you are out of luck?

Wow, just because you are a sucker dont assume the rest of us are!

Commercial code trumps written warranty. Implied warranty trumps written warranty.
Written warranty is not controlling on FACTORY damaged merchandise sold as new.

It is illegal to sell factory damaged as new. Items factory damaged sold as new have to replace with NEW undamaged item or refunded no matter what the warranty states
Ran7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:14 PM   #96
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran7 View Post
'
I am not belittling you. Just pointing out you know nothing whatsoever about consumer law. I have worked in consumer manufacturing and sales at a management level.

What you are saying above is complete and TOTAL nonsense.

if you think Home depot can deliver you a scratch and dent refrigerator, which doesn't affect "usability", and isntn legally liable to take it back or refund you, you are simply ignorant.

So stop misinforming people here.

the very fact that the pictured advertised iPhone 5 devices don't have scratches sets up Apple for false adverting claims in addition to implied warranty (implied warranty law is STRONGER for consumers than actual written warranty).

Apple by law has to eitehr refund or replace those factory damaged iphone with NEW iphones. In the US, Apple legally cannot force refurbs on those buyers
Please cite the specific provision of the Magnuson-Moss Act that enforces this.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:32 PM   #97
Ran7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Please cite the specific provision of the Magnuson-Moss Act that enforces this.
Read section 108 of the law. If you look at findlaw or lexis you will see all the precedents dealing with factory damage citing 108 of Magnuson-Moss.
That is why the people reading out Apple's written warranty are completely wrong. M-M section 108 makes it clear a warrant cannot attempt to trump implied warranty with conditions in written warranty.

Again, if you think home Depot can delivery you a banged up refrigerator you purchased as new and then give you a cosmetically damaged refurb you are wrong. You get a refurb if 45 days into ownership something goes wrong, it is illegal to force one on you for factory damage.

M-M Section 108 clearly states (and has been ruled on in all the relevant case law) you cannot modify your implied warranty obligations in the way some ignorant commentators here are suggesting.
Ran7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:45 PM   #98
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran7 View Post
'
I am not belittling you. Just pointing out you know nothing whatsoever about consumer law. I have worked in consumer manufacturing and sales at a management level.

What you are saying above is complete and TOTAL nonsense.

if you think Home depot can deliver you a scratch and dent refrigerator, which doesn't affect "usability", and isntn legally liable to take it back or refund you, you are simply ignorant.

So stop misinforming people here.

the very fact that the pictured advertised iPhone 5 devices don't have scratches sets up Apple for false adverting claims in addition to implied warranty (implied warranty law is STRONGER for consumers than actual written warranty).

Apple by law has to eitehr refund or replace those factory damaged iphone with NEW iphones. In the US, Apple legally cannot force refurbs on those buyers
You are the only one spitting nonsense here. Apple simply has to prove that the device they give you as a warranty replacement is equal to a new device which they do by having it thoroughly inspected and remanufactured. So while you can in the first 30 days return the phone for a refund and buy a new one or exchange once that has passed you must accept the remanufactured warranty replacement. Nothing you argue here will change that. Nothing you have rambled as proof has stated you are to receive a brand new on box sealed device.

Last edited by VandyChem2009; Oct 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:56 PM   #99
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Side note if any of the garbage you are saying were true apple would be dealing with thousands of lawsuits about this implied warranty bull you spit. Last I checked they aren't. Don't try to be clever and say it's because people aren't educated. If you made this erroneous observation others would have too an yet nothing. So lastly you don't know jack.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:31 PM   #100
FallenAnjel
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: On and Island that is Long.
Send a message via AIM to FallenAnjel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Just returned my iPhone 5 to Apple and the lady said I shouldn't get a refurb because it's so early. However, my launch day iPhone 5 serial number began with C39J and now this one is F2LJ. I'm kind of bummed I didn't get a new one but a refurb. Has anyone replaced their iPhone 5 and gotten a same/different serial as their previous?
I only have a 4s, got it in March and I bought a refurbed for $50 less than what it normally is. buying a refurbed allowed me to get a 32gb. I've filled it up twice already simply because I have 2200 songs on it. (I take a lot of pics and video)
__________________
Work From Home
8gb 2nd gen iTouch; 32gb 3rd gen iTouch;
16gb iPhone 3GS; 16gb iPhone 4; 32gb iPhone 4S;
Gatewy M7301u; Acer 7741z; Dell GX270; XBox360; Wii
FallenAnjel is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Store iPhone 5S: New or refurbished ? anonyme iPhone 5 Jan 18, 2014 10:10 PM
Is a refurbished Apple iPhone 5 unlocked? mwwilliams iPhone 6 Dec 21, 2013 02:11 PM
Does Apple have iPhone 5s refurbished units yet? Jason1978 iPhone 44 Nov 6, 2013 04:09 AM
Refurbished iPhone 5 from apple Hoyboy iPhone 3 Jan 6, 2013 01:31 PM
Does Apple sell refurbished iPhone 4/4S ? rak007 iPhone 3 Aug 29, 2012 07:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC