Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

I've been to that site and pretty much understand what I would need to do. However, would the order and re-signing of a new contract immediately invalidate the previous contract and equipment. Thus, the phone can be unlocked. Or, do you have to wait until you physically switch the phones before you can? Lastly, is any of this even possible? Or is this just 2+ customers?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You should call to confirm, but having unlocked two phones, my understanding says that as long as the phone you wish to unlock is no longer under contract, they'll unlock it.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
2 years from time u got the phone to request unlock.

Or pay the etf.

There have been those who called and got their 4s unlocked before the 2 years.

Easiest option is just to use eBay unlocking service for $7-15 these days. Those guys have access to att or apple database and will unlock the iPhone for u

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
AT&T unlocked my iPhone 4 when I called and had them put an unlocked phone on the line instead. And I wasnt t eligible for an upgrade until this coming Christmas. So you might want to give it a shot.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011

I've been to that site and pretty much understand what I would need to do. However, would the order and re-signing of a new contract immediately invalidate the previous contract and equipment. Thus, the phone can be unlocked. Or, do you have to wait until you physically switch the phones before you can? Lastly, is any of this even possible? Or is this just 2+ customers?

Who ever is in charge of doing the unlocks from online at AT&T will not unlock your phone and give you an error that either your contract commitment was not fulfilled or can't locate device to a valid number.

This happened to me when I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to 5. My unlock request was denied. They just see a new contract and new device IMEI and say you did not fulfill it.

The best thing to do is call AT&T and speak with a tier 2 technical support rep they are the ones more laid back about unlocking iPhones. Some will go through the trouble of verifying if the IMEI was used on the account prior. Then they unlock it.

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
Just lookup eBay user unlock_fusion and pay him the $6-9 to unlock your phone it will be done in less then 24hrs and way less hassle then dealing with att.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
You should call to confirm, but having unlocked two phones, my understanding says that as long as the phone you wish to unlock is no longer under contract, they'll unlock it.

This is my understanding as well, but there seems to be conflicting opinions.

2 years from time u got the phone to request unlock.

Or pay the etf.

There have been those who called and got their 4s unlocked before the 2 years.

Easiest option is just to use eBay unlocking service for $7-15 these days. Those guys have access to att or apple database and will unlock the iPhone for u

ETF or 2/24Months? So, you're saying that's the only way to get an unlock through AT&T? As far as eBay services, has this been verified as a true unlock even after multiple restore?

Who ever is in charge of doing the unlocks from online at AT&T will not unlock your phone and give you an error that either your contract commitment was not fulfilled or can't locate device to a valid number.

This happened to me when I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to 5. My unlock request was denied. They just see a new contract and new device IMEI and say you did not fulfill it.

The best thing to do is call AT&T and speak with a tier 2 technical support rep they are the ones more laid back about unlocking iPhones. Some will go through the trouble of verifying if the IMEI was used on the account prior. Then they unlock it.

Yeah, this is the worst case scenerio I had imagined. Is it possible to unlock a current in-contract phone as soon as you resign a contract? Meaning, you have paid the money and order has been received, but shipment is pending. Shipment is the one delaying process.

Just lookup eBay user unlock_fusion and pay him the $6-9 to unlock your phone it will be done in less then 24hrs and way less hassle then dealing with att.

That is very tempting and a decent price, provided it does what you said. The other poster said that some eBay user had access to an AT&T dabatase that allowed them to do the unlock.

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
I think every case is different. I had my 4 unlocked in April as I had upgraded that line to a 4s last October. They gave me a bit of a hassle until they actually researched my accout and found the IMEI for the 4 was orginally on the line that I upgraded, thus fulfilling the contract on the 4. Then they unlocked it.

I also had my 4s unlocked last week and didn't think they would because even though I now have a iPhone 5 on the line the 4s was on, I did a cross upgrade from my other eligible line and the 4s should still be under "contract" but they unlocked it anyway.

I will add that I have been a longtime customer with AT&T and never pay my bill late.

I think a lot of factors go into the process and it just depends on the rep that gets your case.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

I first sent them an email...didn't get a response till a week later and they gave me that same response of invalid number or contract not filled. I had called AT&T before hearing back from them though and they unlocked it.

Should I be ok and unlocked? I got message in iTunes but response via email was they can't unlock it (even though it supposedly was over the phone).

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
I first sent them an email...didn't get a response till a week later and they gave me that same response of invalid number or contract not filled. I had called AT&T before hearing back from them though and they unlocked it.

Should I be ok and unlocked? I got message in iTunes but response via email was they can't unlock it (even though it supposedly was over the phone).

When the rep unlocked it over the phone did you receive an email as well confirming that? I always did but since you also got the unlock message through iTunes you should be fine. Your phone is unlocked.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA

You can do it as soon as you upgrade to a new phone and sign a new contract. Pretty sure you have to have the new phone activated and be using it. I am having my 4S unlocked as we speak.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
When the rep unlocked it over the phone did you receive an email as well confirming that? I always did but since you also got the unlock message through iTunes you should be fine. Your phone is unlocked.

I did get the email confirmation with instructions on how to restore etc

I restored twice and got the unlock message

but then like I said I also got a email following this from when I first tried contacting them and said they can't unlock it because contract/invalid number which is why I'm confused, figured shouldn't I be showing up as unlocked?!

kanshu

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
If you are coming from an iphone 4 or iphone 4s that is still in contract and upgraded to iphone 5 then you are eligible to have your iphone 4 or 4s unlocked only after 30 days. AT&T calls this "Buyer's remorse", they want to make sure that you will keep your upgraded iphone 5 first before they can unlock your previous iphones.

That's what I've experienced so far so either I go to ebay and pay $7 to unlock my iphone 4 or 4s right away or wait 30 days or call AT&T and pray that you get lucky to have someone unlock it for you.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If you are coming from an iphone 4 or iphone 4s that is still in contract and upgraded to iphone 5 then you are eligible to have your iphone 4 or 4s unlocked only after 30 days. AT&T calls this "Buyer's remorse", they want to make sure that you will keep your upgraded iphone 5 first before they can unlock your previous iphones.

That's what I've experienced so far so either I go to ebay and pay $7 to unlock my iphone 4 or 4s right away or wait 30 days or call AT&T and pray that you get lucky to have someone unlock it for you.

Great point. I saw this with my update. I wanted to unlock a phone that was on a line that had an ended contract and they would not let me unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.