Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Called sprint to unlock my iPhone 4s hooked up to iTunes gave me your device is now unlocked then I tried to put T-Mobile sim card gives me error its not compatible with your phone and no service.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You can't use CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) phones on GSM networks (AT&T and T-Mobile)

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
yes outside of US

there is a way to do it but its a bit more involved and requires jailbreak plus sim impostor cards

mds

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
You can't use CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) phones on GSM networks (AT&T and T-Mobile)

This is not true anymore. The iPhone 4S is a world phone and supports both CDMA and GSM. Supposedly Sprint is not locking the use of GSM networks on its 4s phones outside of the US. If you're here, and using ATT, T-Mobile, etc, it won't work. In theory it should work abroad.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

I'm not sure if you were intending to say that it can't be used on any GSM network which would be wrong as since the iPhone 4S which the OP has the CDMA iPhones have included GSM as well for roaming, but it can be unlocked for use on GSM networks, I'm doing it right now with a Verizon iPhone. If you were intending to say that they can't be used on AT&T and T-Mobile then you would be correct at least for Verizon and I believe Sprint as well, they leave them locked so they won't work on other US carriers. This may have changed with the 5 though.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
So I would need to get a different provider sim card?

No. In the US, you need to get an unlocked AT&T (or factory unlocked) 4S to use on T-Mobile or switch to Sprint to use the current 4S you have.

----------

I'm not sure if you were intending to say that it can't be used on any GSM network which would be wrong as since the iPhone 4S which the OP has the CDMA iPhones have included GSM as well for roaming, but it can be unlocked for use on GSM networks, I'm doing it right now with a Verizon iPhone. If you were intending to say that they can't be used on AT&T and T-Mobile then you would be correct at least for Verizon and I believe Sprint as well, they leave them locked so they won't work on other US carriers. This may have changed with the 5 though.

I wasn't intending to mean ANY GSM carrier - just the ones in the US.

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Well the customer service rep said my phone had been unlocked for the life of the phone. I guess only international sim cards will work. so I guess I cant use like eg:simple mobile,tmobile ect... sim cards.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Well the customer service rep said my phone had been unlocked for the life of the phone. I guess only international sim cards will work. so I guess I cant use like eg:simple mobile,tmobile ect... sim cards.

Correct. International only.

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA
I did for unlocked my iPhone 4S with Sprint, yes , unlocked .
But only work with 128K sim card ( T Mobile & ATT using 256K sim card right now $ ) , that why T Mobile and ATT not work.

I used that phone when I went back to my country ( Vietnam ) and purchased a 128K sim card , good signal and 3G on my screen.

jsanchezmia

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Sprint/Verizon iphone for At&t and T-Mobile

I have read that Sprint/Verizon iphone's cannot work on US based GSM carriers, however I have seen ads on craigslist stating they can unlock Sprint and Verizon iphone's to work on At&t and T-Mobile. Therefore, there must be a way to get this done. The ad on CL is asking for $80 to facilitate this service. I am sure there is a cheaper way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.