Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axeon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I was wondering if there's anyway to hide photos in iPhoto. If anyone knows how this can be achieved please let me know, and if it can't, I'd like to know that too.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Axeon said:
I was wondering if there's anyway to hide photos in iPhoto. If anyone knows how this can be achieved please let me know, and if it can't, I'd like to know that too.
If you assign a certain Keyword, as "Hidden" to all photos you want to hide, and then option click on that keyword, it will hide all those photos.

I'm not sure if this type of hiding is sufficient.... let us know what kind of pictures you want to hide and from whom you want to hide them, there may be a better way to accomplish what you want.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Applespider said:
You could move all your 'hidden' pictures to a different roll and then view by roll. That way if you keep the roll closed, people won't be able to see it.

Or use iPhoto Buddy and keep all your dodgy pictures in a different library.

You can also select different libraries on starting up iPhoto with holding down the Command key (or is it Alternate?). This way, a Folder-opening dialog opens, and you can choose alternative libraries.

I think you should do the same again when you are done with your pictures, as iPhoto will open with the last selected library.

(Btw, that's one way to bring back an already-existing library in iPhoto, or move it to another HD and still use it).

NB: the files will not be hidden on your HD though, anyone can trace them down easily and open them without iPhoto.
Other mentioned options are arguable, as you will always see all the pictures if you check the whole library, with or without rolls.

To efficiently hide photos, er... Compress them in an encrypted file ?

A!

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
munkle said:
You can keep use Buddy to password protect selected libraries too.

Ah, that sounds interesting too. I'll check that software, maybe it's handy for using several libraries (and reducing the size of each one of them !).

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Arnaud said:
Ah, that sounds interesting too. I'll check that software, maybe it's handy for using several libraries (and reducing the size of each one of them !).

It's perfect for exactly that :)

Arnaud said:
You can also select different libraries on starting up iPhoto with holding down the Command key (or is it Alternate?). This way, a Folder-opening dialog opens, and you can choose alternative libraries.
It's the option key (or Alt key on some keyboards).

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I also am keen to look into this...
Ideally I would just like to be able to set iPhoto to open up in a certain folder...
that way it avoids any 'inappropriate' or 'personal' pics immediately being displayed when I open iPhoto.

I dont necessarily want iPhoto to always open just in the Library... but would love to be able to specify a specific folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.