Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tenthomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
My Old geforce 8800 died, so I have to upgrade to another card.
I was thinking about EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB PhysX
or ati 5770.
I'll be running Cs6 and Cinema 4d.
Do I have to do a lot of hacking to get the gtx up and running with Mountain Lion?
Is this the right Gtx Card for me EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB PhysX?

Thomas

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Hi Tenthomas,

I'm not the best guy to answer your question but I am in the same boat as you and posted a similar question about upgrading my graphics card from the stock 8800 GT, I got a lot of good advice and suggestions. The forum link is below.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1444501/

What I do know is that Cinema does not use Cuda but if you use AE or Premiere pro it will use Cuda for the mercury engine playback and you will see a benefit from the GTX 570. Photoshop cs6 uses more openCL so no Cuda benefit.

With Mountain Lion and the GTX 570 you will need the newest Nvidia and Cuda drivers and for the radeon 6870 you are just plug and play. both will not have a startup screen but I think the 6870 is the easiest to flash to get that function working.

To my knowledge this info is correct but there a lot of GPU guru's on this site that can offer more input.

Good luck with your new GPU and let us know how it works out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.