Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
ntnwwnet
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Exclamation 12 iPhone 5 & 5s slim case reviews, thoughts on Desmay Slight

I've been searching high and low for the slimmest iPhone 5 case available. Short of the few Desmay clones on eBay (see bottom of this post for links and thoughts), these are the ones I could find.

I ordered all of these. Below are my thoughts.

1. splash ZERO Ultra-Slim PolyCarbonate Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/RsZx5i

2. KaysCase HardSkin Cover Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/OxPwFS

3. elago S5 Slim Fit 2 Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/SX8roM

4. BoxWave Minimus for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/QfUkfR

5. [LF Black] Apple iPhone 5 Ringke SLIM Light Feeling Premium Hard Case: http://amzn.to/QDydSg

6. [SF Matte Black] Apple iPhone 5 Ringke SLIM Soft Feeling Premium Hard Case: http://amzn.to/QkBu8K

7. Photive Hybrid iPhone 5 Bumper Case: http://amzn.to/SQyQdg

8. KaysCase Slim Soft Skin Cover Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/P4GtMz

9. KaysCase HardSkin Cover Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/V2V1xt

10. Photive Natural Slim Fit Case for Apple iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/S4IKX2

11. Anker Glaze Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/RkT6nb

12. SPIGEN SGP iPhone 5 Case MATTE Hard Case Protection Cover [Ultra Thin Air]: http://amzn.to/Sw3aUE


--


1. Snug fit and the front has extended lip around the screen edge the glass won't touch the table if you put it face down. Top & bottom are exposed. Generic cutout for volume buttons & vibrate switch.

2. Feels cheap. But it's slim. Top & bottom exposed.

3. Very well built. Fits perfectly. Top & bottom exposed.

4. Hasn't shipped yet. I think it'll be like #3.

5. Not bad. This one's a matte color and not very grippy. Fits perfectly. Only top & bottom are exposed.

6. Same as #6, but with a rubbery, grippy feel. Fits perfectly. Only top & bottom are exposed.

7. The left, right and top of the bumper are a shiny black with the front and back edges being a off-black or almost dark grey color. Bumper is flexible but firm.

8. The case is a tight fit around the phone, it's a perfect fit that goes on without scratching the aluminum sides. The left and right bumpers of the case are hard plastic, while the back/top/bottom are rubber-ish TPU

9. It has a smooth, comfortable feel to it. It doesn't add any unnecessary weight and it fits nice and snug, as expected.

10. I like. Reminds me of the Case-Mate Barely There series. The fit is perfect. Fully covers left & right sides of phone. Top & bottom are open.

11. Meh. TPU case paired with a plastic bumper. All sides are covered.

12. Super light, no bulk, fits perfect yet not to hard to put on or take off.




-----




Desmay slight thoughts:

Desmay recently put up their Slight 5 case for the iPhone 5 and they promptly sold out in an hour. Reading their Facebook comments, the general thought is that they chose to offer very few just so they could sell out.

I took to eBay to look for similar ones and found what looks to be exactly what Desmay is selling, only from a generic Chinese manufacturer. It's worth noting that none of the images on Desmay's site are actual pictures. They are only renders.

Why pay $25 for the Desmay when you can get the same thing for $3? Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160885926175




-----

Last edited by ntnwwnet; Sep 21, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
ntnwwnet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2
armoredsaint
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
tag for results!

where's the pics?
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 512gb SSD + iPad 3 white + iPad 3 black + iPhone 5 black
armoredsaint is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
ntnwwnet
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
tag for results!

where's the pics?
Tag?

My iPhone 5 is the only camera I own and I don't see the use in taking pictures of the cases without the phone in it. If I can get another camera that's good enough I'll take and post some pictures.
ntnwwnet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Jasonv2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Those ebay cases don't appear to be the same as the desmay. Well, the desmay photos are renders but their cutouts are different than those of the ebay link. We'd have to wait for the desmay cases to be out before judging. I don't think just because they are the same thickness makes them the same case.
Jasonv2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Ctg44
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Awesome post. Thanks. And thanks for the eBay link
Ctg44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Massa
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Received this from Spigen. I bought my case through Amazon. Thought I'd share .



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Massa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:53 PM   #7
armoredsaint
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
i went a head and ordered the desmay look alike from ebay - it's only $2.88. worth a try i guess, hope it's not a POS for that price
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 512gb SSD + iPad 3 white + iPad 3 black + iPhone 5 black
armoredsaint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:17 PM   #8
spyda
macrumors 6502a
 
spyda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
i went a head and ordered the desmay look alike from ebay - it's only $2.88. worth a try i guess, hope it's not a POS for that price
Honestly the desmay is so thin and essentially as cheap as it feels that the $2 eBay replica's are likely the exact same quality, haha might order one...not sure.
spyda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:20 PM   #9
ntnwwnet
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massa View Post
Received this from Spigen. I bought my case through Amazon. Thought I'd share .
What color did you order? My white one has no problems.

Edit: Email screen shot says black. Again, no problems with my white one. Also noticed that I linked to the black version.
ntnwwnet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:23 PM   #10
armoredsaint
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda View Post
Honestly the desmay is so thin and essentially as cheap as it feels that the $2 eBay replica's are likely the exact same quality, haha might order one...not sure.
i don't use cases, i only use a skin on the back - but this is a good back-up when i travel a lot in and out of airports, hotels and rental cars, plus the risk of dropping is higher.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 512gb SSD + iPad 3 white + iPad 3 black + iPhone 5 black
armoredsaint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a
 
Eckscaliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
#12 looks perfect. I'm tracking one down now.
Eckscaliber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:25 PM   #12
armoredsaint
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckscaliber View Post
#12 looks perfect. I'm tracking one down now.
does it look like it has a clear lens protector over the camera lens?
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 512gb SSD + iPad 3 white + iPad 3 black + iPhone 5 black
armoredsaint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:32 PM   #13
ntnwwnet
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckscaliber View Post
#12 looks perfect. I'm tracking one down now.
There's a link in my post. Free shipping from Amazon too.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
does it look like it has a clear lens protector over the camera lens?
It looks like that, but that's just the glare effect in the picture. There's no lens protector on the case I have.
ntnwwnet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:41 PM   #14
justinf77
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2003
ntnwwnet: Which case do you prefer between 3 and 12? I ordered the elago but I may want to try the Spigen as well.

One thing I'm happy about is the elago Slim Fit 2 now has a small lip which it supposedly didn't have for the iPhone 4. Some don't like the lip but I definitely do.
justinf77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:44 PM   #15
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a
 
Eckscaliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
does it look like it has a clear lens protector over the camera lens?
No, and I can guarantee you it doesn't. Cases like these never have something like that.
Eckscaliber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:46 PM   #16
DetTigers
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinf77 View Post
ntnwwnet: Which case do you prefer between 3 and 12? I ordered the elago but I may want to try the Spigen as well.
Same question! I also ordered the Elago but am considering the Spigen.
DetTigers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:04 PM   #17
JonMPLS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnwwnet View Post
I've been searching high and low for the slimmest iPhone 5 case available. Short of the few Desmay clones on eBay (see bottom of this post for links and thoughts), these are the ones I could find.

I ordered all of these. Below are my thoughts.

1. splash ZERO Ultra-Slim PolyCarbonate Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/RsZx5i

2. KaysCase HardSkin Cover Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/OxPwFS

3. elago S5 Slim Fit 2 Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/SX8roM

4. BoxWave Minimus for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/QfUkfR

5. [LF Black] Apple iPhone 5 Ringke SLIM Light Feeling Premium Hard Case: http://amzn.to/QDydSg

6. [SF Matte Black] Apple iPhone 5 Ringke SLIM Soft Feeling Premium Hard Case: http://amzn.to/QkBu8K

7. Photive Hybrid iPhone 5 Bumper Case: http://amzn.to/SQyQdg

8. KaysCase Slim Soft Skin Cover Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/P4GtMz

9. KaysCase HardSkin Cover Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/V2V1xt

10. Photive Natural Slim Fit Case for Apple iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/S4IKX2

11. Anker Glaze Case for iPhone 5: http://amzn.to/RkT6nb

12. SPIGEN SGP iPhone 5 Case MATTE Hard Case Protection Cover [Ultra Thin Air]: http://amzn.to/Sw3aUE


--


1. Snug fit and the front has extended lip around the screen edge the glass won't touch the table if you put it face down. Top & bottom are exposed. Generic cutout for volume buttons & vibrate switch.

2. Feels cheap. But it's slim. Top & bottom exposed.

3. Very well built. Fits perfectly. Top & bottom exposed.

4. Hasn't shipped yet. I think it'll be like #3.

5. Not bad. This one's a matte color and not very grippy. Fits perfectly. Only top & bottom are exposed.

6. Same as #6, but with a rubbery, grippy feel. Fits perfectly. Only top & bottom are exposed.

7. The left, right and top of the bumper are a shiny black with the front and back edges being a off-black or almost dark grey color. Bumper is flexible but firm.

8. The case is a tight fit around the phone, it's a perfect fit that goes on without scratching the aluminum sides. The left and right bumpers of the case are hard plastic, while the back/top/bottom are rubber-ish TPU

9. It has a smooth, comfortable feel to it. It doesn't add any unnecessary weight and it fits nice and snug, as expected.

10. I like. Reminds me of the Case-Mate Barely There series. The fit is perfect. Fully covers left & right sides of phone. Top & bottom are open.

11. Meh. TPU case paired with a plastic bumper. All sides are covered.

12. Super light, no bulk, fits perfect yet not to hard to put on or take off.




-----




Desmay slight thoughts:

Desmay recently put up their Slight 5 case for the iPhone 5 and they promptly sold out in an hour. Reading their Facebook comments, the general thought is that they chose to offer very few just so they could sell out.

I took to eBay to look for similar ones and found what looks to be exactly what Desmay is selling, only from a generic Chinese manufacturer. It's worth noting that none of the images on Desmay's site are actual pictures. They are only renders.

Why pay $25 for the Desmay when you can get the same thing for $3? Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160885926175




-----

Wow, thanks for your research. Which one do you end up using??

(FYI, I am using the Incipio Feather but like to experiment)
__________________
Macbook Pro, iPhone 2,4,5,5s, iPods, iPad 1,3, rMini
JonMPLS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:05 PM   #18
TheLegend
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnwwnet View Post
Why pay $25 for the Desmay when you can get the same thing for $3? Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160885926175
Anyone know if this product (or a very similar one) is sold on amazon for a comparable price?
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2011, MacBook Pro 13" i5 2012
Black 64GB iPhone 5 w/ Cygnett UrbanShield Genuine Carbon Fiber Case
TheLegend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Massa
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnwwnet View Post
What color did you order? My white one has no problems.

Edit: Email screen shot says black. Again, no problems with my white one. Also noticed that I linked to the black version.
Black.
Massa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:44 PM   #20
ntnwwnet
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinf77 View Post
ntnwwnet: Which case do you prefer between 3 and 12? I ordered the elago but I may want to try the Spigen as well.

One thing I'm happy about is the elago Slim Fit 2 now has a small lip which it supposedly didn't have for the iPhone 4. Some don't like the lip but I definitely do.
I prefer #12. The cutouts for the volume buttons & vibrate switch offer better coverage.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMPLS View Post
Wow, thanks for your research. Which one do you end up using??

(FYI, I am using the Incipio Feather but like to experiment)
I'm currently using #10 until the Desmay clone from eBay shows up. I've given #3 & #10 to family members and I'm sending the rest back.
ntnwwnet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:25 PM   #21
ntnwwnet
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
i don't use cases, i only use a skin on the back - but this is a good back-up when i travel a lot in and out of airports, hotels and rental cars, plus the risk of dropping is higher.
The Desmay is the closest thing to a skin I've found. Plus there's the added benefit of the sides being covered too.
ntnwwnet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:06 AM   #22
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
i currently have #1, its not too bad. i dont care for the rubber feel though. fit does seem good. but i disagree, the sides are not above the phone enough to lay it flat screen side down. theres only like 1 mm of gap.

i have the elago (#3) on order. i loved the feel, slimness yet thicker/higher quality of the S4 vs #1 on my iphone 4. looking forward to it. on thing is i wanted the elago with the hard shell/smooth finish...not this rubberized one. so i purchased the dark grey one.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:48 AM   #23
takecarex3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Awesome thread guys. One quick question. I know on my iPhone 4 the Belkin case I used made the flash look funny at night due to the plastic around the camera and flash area.

Has anyone done any testing for this in any of these? I know some cases now have a black ring but wonder how necessary that is?
takecarex3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:27 AM   #24
bobright
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Nice breakdown but let's see some pics and this thread will really rock
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:34 AM   #25
drkash
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Thanks for the reviews and summary of thin cases
drkash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultra Slim Cases: Noot, IvySkin Reception, Power Support Air Jacket or Desmay Slight rmchale iPhone Accessories 4 Sep 22, 2013 12:05 PM
Is there a case similar to the Desmay Slight but with more coverage. charlesdayton iPhone Accessories 0 Jun 20, 2013 05:42 AM
Slight 5 - Desmay - Reviews? Macaroooon iPhone Accessories 4 Nov 16, 2012 07:24 AM
Desmay Slight 0.33mm iphone cover DaGrandMastah iPhone Accessories 144 Oct 3, 2012 08:27 PM
iPhone 4S Desmay Slight thomth iPhone Accessories 7 Jul 15, 2012 06:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC