Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
I recently bought a nexus 7. I want to use the tablet for college work, taking notes, playing games, etc. I am interested in some good apps to download on it, essentials so to say. I am new to the android platform so any pointers would be helpful.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I recently bought a nexus 7. I want to use the tablet for college work, taking notes, playing games, etc. I am interested in some good apps to download on it, essentials so to say. I am new to the android platform so any pointers would be helpful.

Evernote is a great note taking app that syncs with your other devices.
It will sync with Windows PC's, Macs, other Androids, iOS devices. It is also free.

I find Google Currents to be awesome for reading articles. It is sort of an RSS reader. You could also use Flipboard.

For reading books I use an app called FBreader, I like it quite a lot and it has a night setting that essentially inverts the text/background for easy reading in the dark.

As far as for college work, I'm not sure other than Evernote for notes. I use my MacBook for writing essays and doing other projects. I don't really feel like any tablet (iOS, Android, RIM, Windows etc.) is very useful for this type of task.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
Downloading Horn and FBreader now. On my iPhone, I have an app called XSysinfo that is a memory free-er app. Any good ones on android? I love iStudiez Pro on my iOS devices, any good alternatives on android?

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Downloading Horn and FBreader now. On my iPhone, I have an app called XSysinfo that is a memory free-er app. Any good ones on android? I love iStudiez Pro on my iOS devices, any good alternatives on android?

When you say "memory free-er" are you referring to clearing your RAM/cached processes?

Also, I'd do some Google/Youtube searches for things such as "top 20 android apps 2012" or "best android widgets 2012" etc. You can find a lot of videos or articles of people reviewing their favorite apps/widgets.
Widgets can enhance your Android experience just like good apps can.

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
Productive apps:

- Firefox Beta has a "Reader" feature.
- Evernote and Evernote Widgets
- Dropbox
- Drive
- ezPDF Reader
- Kingsoft Office
- xScope Pro (I use this for my flash, there's a way to get it without rooting.)
- Talkatone (Makes your Nexus 7 into a phone)

News/Entertainment:

- Flipboard
- Pulse
- BBC News
- IMDB
- Flixster
- Fandango
- Plex
- Netflix
- ESPN Scorecenter
- Amazon Kindle
- MLB At Bat Lite

Utility Apps:
- Speed Test (tests speed of data in your device)
- Zedge (excellent for customization of wallpapers, ringtones, notifications..)
- AntiVirus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.