Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
thinkinblue613
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Planet Earth
What is your Mixed Ecosystem Setup?

It's quite simple, what is your Mixed Ecosystem Setup?

I am currently using a mixture of Android, Mac OS X and Windows 7.

Smartphone - Galaxy Nexus

Tablet - Nexus 7

Thing is, when the iPad mini or iPod touch comes out to the public... I may just replace the Nexus 7 with one of those.

Laptop - Macbook Air 13

Desktop - PC Build

I am in the process of ordering parts online to build my media/data PC desktop. Windows 7 will be installed into it. The purpose of this platform is to have a 'base' at home and enough juice to run the occasional 'PC only' games. A lot of my data, AutoCAD, 3D rendering and producing/creating will be coming from this...

Tell me though, is there any redundancy in my proposed setup? I'm in the market for a DSLR.
__________________
2006 Macbook Pro 15, iPhone 5
thinkinblue613 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2
aznguyen316
macrumors 68000
 
aznguyen316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Main desktop is a windows PC so nothing going on there in terms of a closed ecosystem, I use iTunes on there.

I have a MBP that isn't really tied to Apple either since it's just used for web browsing, some light gaming and email/chat. My GF has a MBA so I guess we have also shared Mountain Lion.

I had an iPad and iPhone so I have quite a few apps tied in there but my fiancee also has an iPhone and we shared App store accounts so whatever I bought she could use, minus iPad specific apps. I'm hoping to jump back to an iPad so those will be there ready for me.

And then Samsung Galaxy S3. Had this phone for a month and a half and probably put in $20 into the Google Play store. It's the only device I use for google apps, but luckily most of the things I've bought where either expensive -- Titanium backup or really cheap .25c sale this weekend has been awesome.

I'm not a huge app buyer, maybe spent $50 in iOS and $20 in Android.
__________________
iPhone 6, 64GB | iPad rMini 16GB
My Channel for MBP videos
aznguyen316 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
Smartphone: Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Tablet: Nexus 7
Laptop: Retina MBP
Desktop: 2011 21.5" iMac

If/when an iPad Mini is released, I might also replace my Nexus 7 with it. I say might because it has some depending factors, mostly retina display. If it lacks that.. I'll keep the Nexus 7.
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:47 PM   #4
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
GSM Galaxy Nexus (open to replacing it with this year's Nexus)

iPad 3rd Gen (very much considering a Nexus 7 in the near future either to replace or to add to my lineup)

MacBook Air 2011 13" that is paired with a Thunderbolt Display 2011 at home.

Last edited by onthecouchagain; Sep 30, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:10 PM   #5
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Smartphone: Galaxy S III(With over 200 Apps downloaded from the App Store, this was a tough switch to make)
iPhone 4 that I use as an iPod.

Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro(Wish it were retina)

iPad 3rd gen w/Logitech solar folio keyboard cover.
Firesale HP TouchPad w/stock WebOS(I didn't buy this to turn into a cheap Android Tab)

Still an Apple geek at heart, but recently moved to the dark side with the GSIII.
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 5P, and numerous iPods.

Last edited by ChrisTX; Oct 2, 2012 at 05:56 AM.
ChrisTX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
GSM Galaxy Nexus (open to replacing it with this year's Nexus)

iPad 3rd Gen (very much considering a Nexus 7 in the near future either to replace or to add to my lineup)

MacBook Air 2011 13" that is paired with a Thunderbolt Display 2011 at home.
I have a question about the Thunderbolt Display, I really haven't used them much except for maybe a few minutes at Best Buy and an Apple Store.
What makes them worth their expensive price tag? Seems like you're better off just getting an iMac and a MacBook rather than a MacBook and the Thunderbolt display. I am not "Bashing" you for your choice, I am really interested in knowing from someone that owns one.
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:27 PM   #7
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
I have a question about the Thunderbolt Display, I really haven't used them much except for maybe a few minutes at Best Buy and an Apple Store.
What makes them worth their expensive price tag? Seems like you're better off just getting an iMac and a MacBook rather than a MacBook and the Thunderbolt display. I am not "Bashing" you for your choice, I am really interested in knowing from someone that owns one.
Fair question. I actually also owned an iMac 2011, but when my parents' computer died on them, I gave them my iMac and my MBA was my only computer.

The MBA is the greatest laptop, but it makes for a miserable desktop experience (duh). So I was thinking of pairing it with an inexpensive monitor, but then I thought I'd have to get speakers, then extra USB ports (mouse and keyboard would otherwise occupy the only 2 USB slows of the Air), then I became obsessed with a larger monitor... so long story short, it just made sense to get an all in one.

Then I actually found a ridiculously good deal at Best Buy for a refurbished one. It was marked down 250+ off the original price tag. Had a great guy help me, went through every little test we could do with the TBD (pixel tests, speakers, all the ports, etc.) and then sealed the deal when he offered me a 4 year Best Buy warranty that covered dead-pixels, etc. for free). It was a no brainer to me then. So I was sold.

It works great with my Air most of the time (once in a rare while, it won't connect or it won't recognize my mouse). And I simply view it as an long-term investment. I plan to keep this monitor for many many years. I can pair up a Mac Mini in the future.

I don't know if I'd pay the regular $999 + tax, but I happened across a deal that was too good to pass up on. I don't think it makes sense for everybody, that's for sure. If you're starting off with nothing else, the iMac 27 seems to make more sense. I had my Air already, had an extra Apple keyboard, and a spare logitech mouse. It made sense for me.

Last edited by onthecouchagain; Sep 30, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:41 PM   #8
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Being a long time Apple enthusiast (think system 7) that works in a cross platform R&D environment. Add in my addiction to laptops & smartphones & I've got too much to list.

Suffice to say I really enjoy my various MBP's, MBA's, ThinkPads (the new hi-res anti-glare X-1 Carbon I just received is stellar) Mac Pro, iPads, iPhones, Nexus phone, tablet & SGS III just to name the core group, all sync & interface quite nicely interconnected to my home network & third party cloud solutions.

One things for sure, it's never boring.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Fair question. I actually also owned an iMac 2011, but when my parents' computer died on them, I gave them my iMac and my MBA was my only computer.

The MBA is the greatest laptop, but it makes for a miserable desktop experience (duh). So I was thinking of pairing it with an inexpensive monitor, but then I thought I'd have to get speakers, then extra USB ports (mouse and keyboard would otherwise occupy the only 2 USB slows of the Air), then I became obsessed with a larger monitor... so long story short, it just made sense to get an all in one.

Then I actually found a ridiculously good deal at Best Buy for a refurbished one. It was marked down 250+ off the original price tag. Had a great guy help me, went through every little test we could do with the TBD (pixel tests, speakers, all the ports, etc.) and then sealed the deal when he offered me a 4 year Best Buy warranty that covered dead-pixels, etc. for free). It was a no brainer to me then. So I was sold.

It works great with my Air most of the time (once in a rare while, it won't connect or it won't recognize my mouse). And I simply view it as an long-term investment. I plan to keep this monitor for many many years. I can pair up a Mac Mini in the future.

I don't know if I'd pay the regular $999 + tax, but I happened across a deal that was too good to pass up on. I don't think it makes sense for everybody, that's for sure. If you're starting off with nothing else, the iMac 27 seems to make more sense. I had my Air already, had an extra Apple keyboard, and a spare logitech mouse. It made sense for me.
Yeah I suppose if you got the discount, for $999 though, it seems to make more sense to just get the refurbed 27" iMac for $1,400. If your only computer is a MBA for desktop and laptop, I hope you have an external hard drive. I have a rMBP which only has 256GB SSD in it, so I generally keep all my music, and movies on the iMac.
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Vegastouch
macrumors 601
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Smartphone: Galaxy S3
Tablet: None
Laptop: MacPro 13.3"
Desktop: Windows Vista

I dont use the MacPro to sync my phones.

I dont have a tablet as of yet and dont know if i will get one. Never saw the need for one. Have no idea what id get if i do get one. The N7, Asus Transformer or maybe even the iPad mini or maybe even one of the new Windows Tablets.

Depends on the size ill prefer and i am in no rush at all for one.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:13 PM   #11
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
Yeah I suppose if you got the discount, for $999 though, it seems to make more sense to just get the refurbed 27" iMac for $1,400. If your only computer is a MBA for desktop and laptop, I hope you have an external hard drive. I have a rMBP which only has 256GB SSD in it, so I generally keep all my music, and movies on the iMac.
I have a 2 TB external. A must, indeed, with only an Air.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:14 PM   #12
thinkinblue613
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I have a 2 TB external. A must, indeed, with only an Air.
Do you have the HDD setup with your router or directly to the Air itself?

I'm thinking about setting up a Drobo system to my setup.
__________________
2006 Macbook Pro 15, iPhone 5
thinkinblue613 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Smartphone: AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Tablet: Kindle Fire (soon to be the HD 8.9" version)
Laptop: Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro
Desktop: 1 - Power Mac G5 2 - iMac G4
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:32 PM   #14
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Smartphone iPhone 5
Computer Windows
Tablet Nexus 7
__________________
If only I could be so grossly incandescent.
Dr McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 05:00 PM   #15
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinblue613 View Post
Do you have the HDD setup with your router or directly to the Air itself?

I'm thinking about setting up a Drobo system to my setup.

I have an Airport Extreme but don't connect my External to it. I just plug it into the back of my TBD whenever I need it. I don't have Time Machine set up either. I rarely use my Ext HD. Only to do backups every few months or so.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 05:12 PM   #16
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Smartphone : Primary iPhone 4S, Backup OG Motorola Droid Razr
Tablet : Primary Motorola Xoom LTE, other iPad 3 wifi
Desktop and laptop : PC's

I try to stay away from Eco systems. I don't like getting so deep in one I can't try anything else affordably. I'll always prefer an open system because they'll tie into other things at minimum cost. Like streaming content from my Xoom to my PS3.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 05:56 PM   #17
Twixt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Desktop : iMac
Laptop : HP
Tablet : ipad
Phone : iphone 3GS soon be replaced by Android Note 2 or Nexus?
__________________
27" iMac i7, 32GB iPad 3, 32GB iPhone 3GS
Upcoming phone: Galaxy Note 4 OR iPhone 6 OR ..., whatever comes with 5"+ display and 128 GB minimum !
Twixt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:50 AM   #18
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Desktop: Linux primarily with Windows 7 for Steam games - soon to be a thing of the past I hope.
Notebook: Chromebook 5 550
Tablets: iPad 2/Nexus 7
Phones: iPhone 4/Galaxy Nexus/
ZTE Blade

Google pretty much has all my stuff in sync across all devices. Contacts, calendars, cloud storage, Google Music and Google Docs works wonders for me on all my stuff.

The freedom to flit between platforms makes life very easy. I've also had some time with Windows Phone fitting on fine too.

Seamless!
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | HP Chromebook 11 | Moto G GPE | LG G Watch | iPhone 4s | iPad Mini Retina | Asus MemoPad ME176C
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 05:52 AM   #19
jjvdhoef
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Desktop: Linux primarily with Windows 7 for Steam games - soon to be a thing of the past I hope.
What, you think steam for Linux will have all your favorite games? Guess again. It will be Mac OS steam, but worse...

I have a HTC Desire, which i will be exchanging for an iphone 5 really soon. The payment options for apple apps are much better over here than the google stuff. Otherwise I might have gotten a One X or something.

My iMac I dual boot into windows 7, for Excel and steam, and Mountain Lion.
jjvdhoef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:10 AM   #20
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvdhoef View Post
What, you think steam for Linux will have all your favorite games? Guess again. It will be Mac OS steam, but worse...
Civilization V and Left4Dead/Left4Dead2 would start me off on Linux as I spend the majority of my time playing those on PC. L4D is at least on it's way so I've got lucky there.
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | HP Chromebook 11 | Moto G GPE | LG G Watch | iPhone 4s | iPad Mini Retina | Asus MemoPad ME176C
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:17 AM   #21
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a
 
ReanimationN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
Laptop: 2011 MacBook Pro
Tablet: Nexus 7
Smartphone: iPhone 3GS (will replace soon with iPhone 5/2012 Nexus/Galaxy S3)
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HD, Windows 8 x64. iPad Air 64GB. 2013 Google Nexus 7 32GB. iPhone 5 32GB.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:06 AM   #22
Solstice11
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montana
Tablet: iPad 2
Desktop PC: Custom Built Windows 7 PC
Smartphone: Motorola DROID Bionic (Wish I had an iPhone)
Media Player: iPod Touch 4g (Soon to be 5g)
__________________
iPod Touch 4g 32GB | iPad 2 Wi-Fi 32GB | Custom Built PC
Solstice11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:42 AM   #23
RealRuler
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Phone: Galaxy S3
Tablet: iPad 3, Kindle Fire HD 7
Computer: XPS 15, 2011 MacBook Air 13
Other: PS3, Xbox 360

It's nice not being tied down

Last edited by RealRuler; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
RealRuler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:04 AM   #24
rctlr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Britian
The Family and I
Work: Mac Pro/sl
Home: Mac Mini/sl, Acer Laptop/linux, MBP/ml, HP Desktop/winxp, NintendoWii
Mobile: iPhone 5, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 3, various ipod touches.

The only clashes I have is to sync all my contacts/cal/email etc - still working that out for flexibility - just have to go OS-agnostic with google for the most part.
Planning to ditch Acer Laptop soon, or make it just a skype communication device/media player for the children.
Need to replace the old HP Desktop with something decent too.
rctlr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:40 AM   #25
hallux
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Smartphone HTC Thunderbolt (sadly running GB still)
Tablet Acer Iconia A500 (running ICS)
Laptop Mid-2012 15" MBP with hi-res screen
Desktop Custom-build Windows 7 box for gaming

Additionally, I use a 13" MBP and Dell E6410 (soon to be upgraded) for work, as well as an iPad 2.

For my personal devices, Trillian handles all IM tasks (now cloud-based, syncs across all my personal devices except the desktop), Roboform for password management and sync, Google Drive for document sharing between devices and Google Music for streaming/buying music. I have the music manager installed on my Windows PC, and plan to copy purchased tracks to iTunes on my MBP, if/when I purchase any.
__________________
2012 15" MBP, 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB Samsung EVO SSD, Hi-Res glossy
2012 Mac Mini 2.5, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (soon, need the install kit)
hallux is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Ecosystem or Microsoft Ecosystem Damian433 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 14 Nov 9, 2013 09:23 AM
Samsung ecosystem - replace my iOS ecosystem? xraydoc Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 10 Aug 14, 2013 02:36 PM
Mixed drive setup help? ChrisR01 MacBook Pro 14 May 25, 2013 03:43 PM
Trying to setup "Apple ecosystem" in apartment Weerez935 Buying Tips and Advice 23 Dec 31, 2012 04:57 AM
Apple's Television - an ecosystem in need? iOrbit Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Sep 12, 2012 10:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps