Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

carrier_settings_screen.png

Apple has issued a Carrier Update for Verizon iPhone 5 devices this evening to eliminate an issue where Verizon Cellular Data would be used while the iPhone 5 is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
This carrier settings update resolves an issue in which, under certain circumstances, iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Follow these instructions to install the update.

1. Tap Settings > General > About.
2. Wait for the following alert to appear: (top right)
3. Tap OK to install the update.
4. Hold the Sleep/Wake button down until you see "slide to power off".
5. Slide to power off.
6. After the device powers off, hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn your phone back on.

Note: To finish the installation of the update, your iPhone 5 must be turned off and then on again. After your iPhone restarts, tap Settings > General > About, then scroll down to Carrier and verify that "Verizon 13.1" is displayed.
The update has to be performed somewhat manually but is delivered over-the-air, per the instructions above. Apple describes the update as an "important new carrier update" but doesn't provide many details on how/when these circumstances might arise.

Article Link: Apple Releases Carrier Update for Verizon iPhone 5 to Reduce Inadvertent Cellular Data Usage

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Ok, so I really hope they work with Verizon to credit people's accounts for usage they never should have consumed.

AzStriker88

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Ya i just got this message before this article came out and was not sure if I should do the update.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
The interesting thing is that when I check my data usage on my iPhone, it is much higher than when I check on Verizon's website.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
This is going to cause a major headache for verizon. good. EVERYONE make sure you don't have to pay any overages at the end of this month. If they charge you claim it was the problem before apple's update

irod87

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
So glad this came out, hope it works. Ive gone through 2.3gb in about 9 days with wifi usage and low streaming.

AzStriker88

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
I was able to keep unlimited data from verizon but I was wondering why my data was so high make sure you dont have to pay an overage charge this month

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
The only thing I can think of is that this is an issue with the "Wifi + Cellular" feature that was in the iOS 6 betas that was pulled before GM release.

I know nothing about the bug itself, this is just some idea I have hypothesized.

Basically, if you were connected to WiFi but your Cellular connection was (harder/)better/faster/stronger (unsure of which, cannot remember) it would use that instead. Now, for all the people in LTE areas, I can bet that the connection was faster on Cellular LTE than most people's home internet plans (for those affected) and it went to that, using Cell data instead of WiFi. My guess is that this was enabled or left as an enabled feature and pulled from the iOS Settings, until it could be refined.

Again, just a guess.

codyc1515

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2008
I have had issues with my iPhone data usage not adding up with the data usage on the carriers website, however, I am using Telecom New Zealand not Verizon, strange..

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
"Somewhat manually?" Man, if it were automatic, everyone would be freaking out about Apple doing things without user intervention. You just can't win.

101pctech

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I experienced that too on AT&T. I just turn off cellular data when I'm on wifi. Saves a but load of MB

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Does anyone here have a clue about this? Under what circumstances does it use cell data instead of wifi?

EDIT: Never mind, ckelly might have found the answer.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The only thing I can think of is that this is an issue with the "Wifi + Cellular" feature that was in the iOS 6 betas that was pulled before GM release.

I know nothing about the bug itself, this is just some idea I have hypothesized.

Basically, if you were connected to WiFi but your Cellular connection was (harder/)better/faster/stronger (unsure of which, cannot remember) it would use that instead. Now, for all the people in LTE areas, I can bet that the connection was faster on Cellular LTE than most people's home internet plans (for those affected) and it went to that, using Cell data instead of WiFi. My guess is that this was enabled or left as an enabled feature and pulled from the iOS Settings, until it could be refined.

Again, just a guess.

Well, here is how you test it. First of all, don't install the update just yet. Then, go somewhere with weak wifi and good LTE. Maybe you can also check to see if it's using up cell data. Go to whatismyip.com. Check your IP address. See if that matches the wifi network's public IP address. If it doesn't, you're on LTE.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
They need to do this for AT&T as well. I had it use 800mb overnight because of iCloud backup issues.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
How can you tap and hold the power button and slide the bar? Your phone will shutdown before you can slide the bar lol

carterja

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
They need to do this for AT&T as well. I had it use 800mb overnight because of iCloud backup issues.

I noticed if you disable LTE (on AT&T devices) it will help the issue ... for the time being. It needs to be fixed because I do not want to flip flop back and forth just to conserve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.