Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
I restored and updated my old iPhone 4 to iOS 6 going to sell it to a friend he wants unlocked it, I already cut my sim card to a nano sim, if I purchase those IMEI unlock codes will it still work on a non activated phone?

thanks

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I restored and updated my old iPhone 4 to iOS 6 going to sell it to a friend he wants unlocked it, I already cut my sim card to a nano sim, if I purchase those IMEI unlock codes will it still work on a non activated phone?

thanks
AT&T? if yes, then you should be able to restore + activate it in itunes after purchasing an IMEI unlock code. Verizon/Sprint? no bueno.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Yes.
You should be fine.

I've ordered the unlock code and received it, the phone was already restored and updated to iO6 upon reciving the email i restored the iPhone/update to iOS 6 again, the issue is I do not have an active microsim, the message i get on itunes is that i need a sim to activate it..... isn't it supposed to show phone is unlocked message?

Ripcord83

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I've ordered the unlock code and received it, the phone was already restored and updated to iO6 upon reciving the email i restored the iPhone/update to iOS 6 again, the issue is I do not have an active microsim, the message i get on itunes is that i need a sim to activate it..... isn't it supposed to show phone is unlocked message?

even unlocked it'll still ask for a sim for activation.
any old sim will do though.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

No.
You always need a sim.
You won't get the message without one.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
No.
You always need a sim.
You won't get the message without one.

so I assume it's already unlocked, I just need to find a sim to activate it , the phone is unlocked now just not activate it, I say this because the Phone is going overseas, I guess I have to find a microsim just to make sure I did an IMEI Look up and it shows as unlocked now

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
so I assume it's already unlocked, I just need to find a sim to activate it , the phone is unlocked now just not activate it, I say this because the Phone is going overseas, I guess I have to find a microsim just to make sure I did an IMEI Look up and it shows as unlocked now

Exactly.
You should be ok but always better to verify and double check your IMEI unlock went through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.