Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Irockgod
macrumors newbie

iPod Touch restore from iPhone backup

Hello,

I am getting an iPod Touch 5th Gen. I am planning to restore from an iPhone 4 backup. Is this possible and will there be any problems or differences? I just want to get all my apps from my iPod to iPhone. Has anyone done this successfully?

Thank you very much.
Irockgod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

I'm betting that Apple's backup and restore function wont allow this. For example, what will it do when trying to restore your phone history or data for apps that are native to the iPhone but not on the touch?

You're better off just syncing all of your data (contacts, etc) in iTunes then syncing it to the iPod. Also, worthless "other" data wont get mixed into your iPod.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
luckymother
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm3 View Post
You can try doing so but it might not work due to difference in iOS versions, etc. The apps are not stored in the backup so they won't be transferred. You can certainly re-download them in iTunes, though. If you want to get other data like contacts, photos, calendar, notes, etc. from the iPhone backup, you can use iPhone Backup Extractor. It can extract app data too!
Not true. I restored an iPod touch 5 fron an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1. All apps and folders restored from the iPhone. I've not experience any problems.
luckymother is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:43 PM   #4
caramelpolice
macrumors member

You can restore any iOS device from any other iOS device as long as the firmware on the device you're restoring to is equal to or newer than the one the backup was made with.
caramelpolice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:27 AM   #5
ChaosEnderX
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymother View Post
Not true. I restored an iPod touch 5 fron an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1. All apps and folders restored from the iPhone. I've not experience any problems.
where you available to retreive everything and most importantly for me would be the messages, will i be able to restore messages and imessages that i had on my iphone into my ipod touch 5? thanks!
ChaosEnderX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:13 PM   #6
The13thDoctor
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosEnderX View Post
where you available to retreive everything and most importantly for me would be the messages, will i be able to restore messages and imessages that i had on my iphone into my ipod touch 5? thanks!
I think if you had enabled iMessages on your phone, those will get transferred. Not sure about normal texts though.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 06:28 AM   #7
lsquare
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thDoctor View Post
I think if you had enabled iMessages on your phone, those will get transferred. Not sure about normal texts though.
I want to know if normal texts will get transferred. Anyone here have tried this and see if it works?
lsquare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymother View Post
I did the same thing. I used an iPhone 5 backup and restored it to my iPod touch 5.

Sent from my iPod touch 5 using Tapatalk 2

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch