Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irockgod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Hello,

I am getting an iPod Touch 5th Gen. I am planning to restore from an iPhone 4 backup. Is this possible and will there be any problems or differences? I just want to get all my apps from my iPod to iPhone. Has anyone done this successfully?

Thank you very much.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I'm betting that Apple's backup and restore function wont allow this. For example, what will it do when trying to restore your phone history or data for apps that are native to the iPhone but not on the touch?

You're better off just syncing all of your data (contacts, etc) in iTunes then syncing it to the iPod. Also, worthless "other" data wont get mixed into your iPod.

luckymother

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
You can try doing so but it might not work due to difference in iOS versions, etc. The apps are not stored in the backup so they won't be transferred. You can certainly re-download them in iTunes, though. If you want to get other data like contacts, photos, calendar, notes, etc. from the iPhone backup, you can use iPhone Backup Extractor. It can extract app data too!

Not true. I restored an iPod touch 5 fron an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1. All apps and folders restored from the iPhone. I've not experience any problems.

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
You can restore any iOS device from any other iOS device as long as the firmware on the device you're restoring to is equal to or newer than the one the backup was made with.

ChaosEnderX

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Not true. I restored an iPod touch 5 fron an iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1. All apps and folders restored from the iPhone. I've not experience any problems.

where you available to retreive everything and most importantly for me would be the messages, will i be able to restore messages and imessages that i had on my iphone into my ipod touch 5? thanks!

The13thDoctor

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
@TheRoyalDoctor
where you available to retreive everything and most importantly for me would be the messages, will i be able to restore messages and imessages that i had on my iphone into my ipod touch 5? thanks!

I think if you had enabled iMessages on your phone, those will get transferred. Not sure about normal texts though.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

I did the same thing. I used an iPhone 5 backup and restored it to my iPod touch 5.

Sent from my iPod touch 5 using Tapatalk 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.