Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
i love Siri, but how is it that she can't make a "voice command" call without being connected to the internet.
I use to use voice command to make calls all the time, now with Siri it's just slow

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
i love Siri, but how is it that she can't make a "voice command" call without being connected to the internet.
I use to use voice command to make calls all the time, now with Siri it's just slow

It's just the way Siri works. It doesn't do much processing on the phone, so it has to be connected to the internet to transmit and receive the data.

It sucks, I wish certain commands were handled the old way as well. Sometimes I don't have a data connection but I'd still like to use voice command to call people.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
There is something that just feels wrong about the iPhone5 not being able to handle an offline voice command. My "dumbphone" from 2003 could accept a voice (dial) command without a data connection!

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
You can still use the old Voice Control if you turn off Siri. (It should happen automatically though.)

Voice Control on the iPhone 5:

peLTT.png

Last edited:

mroddjob

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
i've noticed that too, and things like skipping songs i'm sure took less time with voice control, it's a bit of a pain to have to switch off siri when you don't have a network connection. Surely it shouldn't be too hard for it to automatically switch to voice control when you have no connection.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
i've noticed that too, and things like skipping songs i'm sure took less time with voice control, it's a bit of a pain to have to switch off siri when you don't have a network connection. Surely it shouldn't be too hard for it to automatically switch to voice control when you have no connection.

Yeah, I don't understand why it doesn't automatically switch. Surely they could just incorporate the functionality into "Siri"?

Currently she just says "Sorry, I can't connect to the Internet". Apple could change that to something like, "I can't connect to the Internet, so I have limited functionality" or something.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Voice Control would also find the closest match to what you said. Siri requires an exacting enunciation and pronunciation in a dialect she prefers, otherwise, she won't connect the call for you.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Excellent tip about voice control! I wonder - can Siri turn herself off via voice command and can voice command turn Siri on? Anyways, it's silly that iOS doesn't default to voice command when the internet connection is unavailable. It reinforces to me that Apple must have lost many employees with OCD while trying to develop iOS6.

Perhaps in a future version of the iPhone, Siri will become network-independent, but I suspect in order for this to happen Apple would have to buy Dragon (or whoever they licence the voice recognition technology from).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.