Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c.az

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I have a brand new phone and a brand new car and the phone won't work with the Bluetooth in the car. FML. We tried the connectivity with other iPhones and other smartphones. It appears to be an iOS 6 problem. The phone on the car will connect to incoming calls but no sound comes out of the speakers and the person on the other end can't hear the driver. Anyone experience similar problems? Only workaround I've found is to toggle the audio source. It works but is a pain. I'd like to get the damn thing working properly. :mad:

c.az

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Actually, it is a pretty awesome ride. I'm quickly becoming spoiled by the keyless entry/operation. And it is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven. Makes me happy the photo radar cameras are no longer on I-17. :D

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I have an Acura RL and my iPhone 5 works great with the HandsFreeLink. However, I went through and deleted all of the other phones from the system first.

Are you answering your incoming calls with your iPhone screen or with the call answer button on the steering wheel? I always use the steering wheel controls.

Also when placing outgoing calls I use the Acura voice dialing feature or the vehicles programmed phone book. I notice if I try to dial the outgoing call using the iPhone itself it doesn't always activate the HandsFreeLink system.

Also you didnt mention whether or not the other iPhones worked in your car...

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
I actually had the exact opposite problem that has resolved itself. With my old iPhone 4, I was constantly having problems with it connecting to my car's bluetooth connection. The car is a 2011 TDI Jetta and has no issues whatsoever with my 5. The way I would resolve the problem with my 4 was to unpair the phone and the car, then re-pair them. The stupid thing never worked right on a consistent basis and I had the bluetooth device in the car repaired several times, only to find out that it's probably the phone since my 5 works just fine with it.

mallom

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Acura FTW!

Bluetooth is working just fine on my MDX and TL. However, when I first tried on the MDX, I wasn't able to pair the phone. I got home, WIFI was not connecting as well. I had to restore the phone. Now everything works just fine.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Should have bought a car that you know for sure worked with your iPhone, because you know the car is nothing without a iPhone and you can't enjoy a brand new one without it. It sucks to have a 2013 car that doesn't work with a iPhone. :rolleyes:

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
That is your problem, you obviously got swindled at the dealership, it isn't 2013, maybe your iPhone will start working on January 1st ;)

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Your 2013 Acura is outdated, guy. It's not compatible with the iphone 5's hyper-accelerated flux capacitor. Can't believe the dealer didn't mention it, guy.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd report the issue to Acura. Perhaps it just needs a software fix on its side. Sometimes car Bluetooth systems are finicky.

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
It's not working mainly to the lack of extensive vtec. Also it's modified to not work with Bluetooth because SHIELD agents can't afford to have any radio interference when they're communicating with the Avengers.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
honda + slightly different engine program + $7000 = Acura

i have a CR-V and the few times i sat in a RDX it always made me wonder why its so much more money

That's because most people who drive luxury cars shouldn't be driving them. They are living outside their means. People who have the income to afford those cars don't care about the luxury tax. They will drive them regardless because those cars are made for them. In a perfect world where dealerships were truthful, you would need a much higher income to debt ratio to qualify for luxury vehicles.

mallom

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
honda + slightly different engine program + $7000 = Acura

i have a CR-V and the few times i sat in a RDX it always made me wonder why its so much more money

There is a price for luxury features and better design.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's because most people who drive luxury cars shouldn't be driving them. They are living outside their means. People who have the income to afford those cars don't care about the luxury tax. They will drive them regardless because those cars are made for them. In a perfect world where dealerships were truthful, you would need a much higher income to debt ratio to qualify for luxury vehicles.

FWIW Acuras are not luxury cars. They are nice mid-level cars.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I have an Acura RL and my iPhone 5 works great with the HandsFreeLink. However, I went through and deleted all of the other phones from the system first.

Are you answering your incoming calls with your iPhone screen or with the call answer button on the steering wheel? I always use the steering wheel controls.

Also when placing outgoing calls I use the Acura voice dialing feature or the vehicles programmed phone book. I notice if I try to dial the outgoing call using the iPhone itself it doesn't always activate the HandsFreeLink system.

Also you didnt mention whether or not the other iPhones worked in your car...

I notice the same issue on outbound calls if I dial from the device itself. I have to wait until the other party answers and then I can toggle to HFL. (This has been happening on all my iPhones, and my '09 and '11 Acura TLs)

Other than that, my iPhone 5 (and 4S) with 6.0 are working fine in my '11 TL Tech.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I have a 2010 TSX (without tech package) and the iPhone 5 works perfectly with HandsfeeeLink. As someone else pointed out though, I did go and delete the other phones first. I can place and receive calls from the steering wheel controls, and dial by voice. Bluetooth audio streaming and music controls also work over Bluetooth.

I'm surprised what's-his-name hasn't joined this thread yet to brag about his Rolex and BMW. :D

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Have 2012 TSX.

iPhone 4S w/ iOS 5.1.1 worked flawlessly. Upgraded to ios6 and have always had connectivity problems since then. Ten got the iPhone 5 and same thing. I set it up initially and everything works fine but then it ill drop the connection and I have to reset up agaon

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I have a 2010 TL and my iPhone 5 works just fine. I deleted other phones before pairing it though.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
There is a price for luxury features and better design.

i used to have an Accord. the same car that is made in the exact same factory as the Acura TL

what kind of luxury am i missing on a CR-V EX-L compared to RDX?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.