Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I've now narrowed my choices down to the GS3, Note 2, and a Windows Phone 8 device. So while still doing my research into picking my next device I came upon this video from Samsung for the Note 2. This thing is truly amazing and what I would call a game changer. I'm not surprised the first Note sold so well for a device of it's size, and I can only think the Note 2 will sell even better. I never thought I'd even be interested in something like this. But I can honestly say, after watching the video and seeing the software features this thing has, I'm HYPED to try one out!!! Love the Air View and Multi Window features just to mention a few. Check out the VIDEO.

Bravo Samsung! Truly Innovative on both Hardware and Software.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's a classy device alright but the size is still what polarises people. For me it's just that too big for me (at least the original galaxy note was) that I just didn't feel comfortable using one.

Even though I now have a One X, I feel at times that it is a tad too big ergonomically for me, this (note2) being nearly an inch bigger again puts it just out of a practicality zone. I'd rather a 4-4.5" device as a phone and a 7"+ device for all the other stuff. (I would have actually bought a One S for size but got offered a one x cheaper than a one s)

For me, like many the size puts it in a bracket where it just fals between pillar and post, even though I do think its a really fine looking device.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
....Even though I now have a One X, I feel at times that it is a tad too big ergonomically for me, this (note2) being nearly an inch bigger again puts it just out of a practicality zone......

...... and another amazing Android device is the Razr Maxx ...... the battery alone is worth the size, which I'm now used to. Even with Verizon 4G mine lasts more than 2 days. Best $49 I've ever spent on a phone :D.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
..... but can a transsexual be gay????? :confused:

Mea culpa you're right.

The Galaxy Note is like a VW Cabriolet. To the average man it's likely desirable at some level but when 7 out of 10 owners of the VW Cab are women it's pretty clear it's a woman's car overall.

The Galaxy Note is the Cabrio of smartphones. Women love it because they have handbags and it's easy to see because it's huge. Unless you carry a murse it's not likely the right pone for the average male that needs to slide it in the back pocket.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Mea culpa you're right.

The Galaxy Note is like a VW Cabriolet. To the average man it's likely desirable at some level but when 7 out of 10 owners of the VW Cab are women it's pretty clear it's a woman's car overall.

The Galaxy Note is the Cabrio of smartphones. Women love it because they have handbags and it's easy to see because it's huge. Unless you carry a murse it's not likely the right pone for the average male that needs to slide it in the back pocket.
unless you're a male that wears skinny jeans then i don't see the problem.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Puts the Razr Maxx somewhere in the middle (but closer to the iPhone):

iPhone 5 vs Razr Maxx vs Galaxy Note
display 4" vs 4.3" vs 5.5"
size 4.87" vs 5.19" vs 5.94"

Still wouldn't put it in a back pocket :).

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've now narrowed my choices down to the GS3, Note 2, and a Windows Phone 8 device. So while still doing my research into picking my next device I came upon this video from Samsung for the Note 2. This thing is truly amazing and what I would call a game changer.

I am very impressed with the progress of the Android OS from day one until now. I bought one of the first from T-Mobile, and have purchased at least one new HTC or Samsung S series at each refresh.

The Galaxy S line in particular have been just stellar. While the earlier versions of Android had some bugs and annoyances, that's in the past now.

Jelly Bean 4.1.x is simply outstanding.
Perfect? No,
Excellent? Yes!

Like any other OS there's always improvements to be made and little bugs to be resolved but overall I'm very happy with my Nexus and my SGS III.

The Galaxy Note series are ideal for those who benefit from their size and capabilities. I give Samsung a lot of credit for taking the risk to go to that size. It just proves the market studies do have their benefits, as that's what Samsung relied upon heavily to make their decision.

At the end of the day, I'm finding that running an iPhone and Galaxy phone is the best possible combination for me. I get to keep current on both, and that keeps me from getting bored with the rather simple, yet highly satisfying iOS platform.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
LOL

You are not a man if you walk around with a Galaxy note.

I disagree. While I find that the Note and Note II are too big for me it wouldn't make me any less of a man if I had one. My brother has a Note and his jeans are no where near skinny jeans. I don't put my phone in my back pocket anyway, I use the front one. Don't wanna risk sitting on it by mistake.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I disagree. While I find that the Note and Note II are too big for me it wouldn't make me any less of a man if I had one. My brother has a Note and his jeans are no where near skinny jeans. I don't put my phone in my back pocket anyway, I use the front one. Don't wanna risk sitting on it by mistake.

Totally agree. I've got jeans and and the original Note fits just fine in my pocket. I will admit, when I'm at home, it's fabulous, but out on the go, while it does fit in my pants, it doesn't pass the one hand test. But then again, when I had the One X, it didn't pass the one hand test either for me. I love the big screens, but I'm going back to my smaller phones next round.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't see it being a woman's smartphone/phablet. All the woman I know use iPhones. It only some of my guy friends that have android devices at all. I don't know anyone with a note though.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I don't see it being a woman's smartphone/phablet. All the woman I know use iPhones. It only some of my guy friends that have android devices at all. I don't know anyone with a note though.

Yup, I mostly see girls with iPhones...Man did I get a testosterone rush when I took my 4s back for a GS3! I felt like a Spartan ready to fight persians.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yup, I mostly see girls with iPhones...Man did I get a testosterone rush when I took my 4s back for a GS3! I felt like a Spartan ready to fight persians.

I don't mean to put you down but I've seen quite a few girls with GS3's :p (I own one myself)

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I don't mean to put you down but I've seen quite a few girls with GS3's :p (I own one myself)

...... I don't mean to put you down either, but girls obviously don't recognize sarcasm when they see it :p!

YES, I'm being sarcastic too! :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Lol, I should have continued my post. I have an iPhone and don't really care what other people think. I certainly don't care what someone thinks that judges people on something that petty. On the same note you'd never catch me driving a VW cabrio. Lol

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Does the Note 2 come with a man purse? :p

Seriously, it's just too big for one handed operation. It also barely fits in the front pocket without having to worry about it falling out. If your a stationary person who only sits at home and sits at work, then it might be for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.