Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 1, 2012, 03:06 AM   #1
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Question Mac App Store version of Quake 4 on a PowerPC Mac?

OK. Quake 4 initially came out for PowerPC Macs. It's on the App Store now - lists it requires an Intel Mac (on the App Store.)

lolwut

Does anybody know if I downloaded Q4 on an Intel Mac through the App Store if it's a universal binary, or it's been made Intel-only?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 03:18 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethryn Freyman View Post
OK. Quake 4 initially came out for PowerPC Macs. It's on the App Store now - lists it requires an Intel Mac (on the App Store.)

lolwut

Does anybody know if I downloaded Q4 on an Intel Mac through the App Store if it's a universal binary, or it's been made Intel-only?
Not trying to be a smart ass here but I think all software in the App store is Intel only, why put PPC/Universal in there?
Might even be a requirement to be Intel only.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

No way. Since Mac App Store runs only on Intel Macs with 10.6.8+ all software available there is obviously Intel-only.
Apple has no reasons to endorse universal binaries anymore, especially on the MAS.
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:40 AM   #4
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Not trying to be a smart ass here but I think all software in the App store is Intel only, why put PPC/Universal in there?
Might even be a requirement to be Intel only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpeas View Post
No way. Since Mac App Store runs only on Intel Macs with 10.6.8+ all software available there is obviously Intel-only.
Apple has no reasons to endorse universal binaries anymore, especially on the MAS.
Yeah I figured it was Intel only, although I find it silly if a previously universal application is, for no reason, made Intel only when it's uploaded there. These days it seems as if some basic applications are made Intel-only when there's no reason other than the fact that the developer (whether Apple tells them to or) compiles it without Intel code.

I mean, this coming from single-person developers who also distribute via the App Store, very basic stuff, with no obvious reason to require Snow Leopard or an Intel CPU.

Ah well.

Long live 2004.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:15 AM   #5
thorns
macrumors member

I don't quite understand the problem here. If you want to play Quake 4, just purchase the original version for PPC. Can't be that expensive.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Some of the MAS things do work on 10.6.0 and up. You just have to download it on a Mac with the App Store and transfer it over. I'd image some of the simpler apps may even work with 10.5 or 10.4 if you changed the minimum OS version within the app's info.plist.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

As per MAS rules, developers are not allowed to submit apps with PowerPC code:

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadg...app-review.pdf

Quote:
Apps that use deprecated or optionally installed technologies (e.g., Java, Rosetta) will be rejected
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Some of the MAS things do work on 10.6.0 and up. You just have to download it on a Mac with the App Store and transfer it over. I'd image some of the simpler apps may even work with 10.5 or 10.4 if you changed the minimum OS version within the app's info.plist.
Still, this this doesn't solve this Intel-only issue.
Colpeas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Still, this this doesn't solve this Intel-only issue.
I never said it did. I only said you can run MAS apps on <10.6.6.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs