Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
hello guys,
when i was using windows i made a file on my external HDD "hidden" by a right-click > properties > click "hidden" option and then it can't be seen

when i want to unhide it i used to search for it firstly on "search" on my windows "XP" by putting on my search options "search also for hidden files" and when it's found i unhide it by doing the same steps to hide it

but now as long as I have a mac i don't know how to unhide it and i tried to use my brother's win7-computer but i also couldn't cause win XP and win7 are totally different

i need you guys to help me to unhide it on a mac because it's my computer and it's the one that i have with me all the time and windows isn't always available

thanks

mcmacker4

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Try executing this command in terminal:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES

Replace YES with NO in the command line to hide the files again.

What this command does is to show hidden files in finder.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To show hidden files in Finder, copy and paste the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true
killall Finder​
To hide hidden files in Finder, copy and paste the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles false
killall Finder​

mcmacker4

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
To show hidden files in Finder, copy and paste the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true
killall Finder

That's right, i forgot to tell you you have to write killall finder after each command and then press enter.

Last edited:

falconb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
thanx guys

i didn't work
but let me remind you that the hidden file is on an external HDD not on the computer

falconb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
thanx man
it worked
i found the file

but the problem is that i want to unhide it permanently not keep viewing it as hidden

thanx very much

falconb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
oh nooo
new trouble
i now can't even unhide it or even see it in the search on my "XP"
so it sounds like it's lost forever
the only way to see it now is on mac using terminal but that doesn't help me cause it show a lot of annoying files that are supposed to be hidden

now what i need to know is how do i unhide it on a mac (not just viewing it as hidden)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
now what i need to know is how do i unhide it on a mac (not just viewing it as hidden)

In Finder, try making a Duplicate of the hidden file. Then see if that new file is hidden or not. I don't have a way of testing this, so you'll have to test it yourself and post your results.

I know of no Finder feature or Terminal command-line that will turn off a file's "hidden" attribute used by Windows. So if you're looking for a way to hide and unhide files, using the same hard drive you use on both OSes, I think you're out of luck.

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish by hiding files on Windows? As you've already noted, Windows itself can do searches that show these hidden files. So who are you hiding the files from, and why?

If you're doing it to keep other people from seeing your files, then hiding is remarkably simple to defeat. All your secrets will be visible to anyone who can do a search. Encryption is far more capable of preserving secrets, if used properly.

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
the only way to see it now is on mac using terminal

The path of your hidden file will be something like /Volumes/name of your disk/path/to/yourfile. You can get to it on Xp with Run-->cmd.

Example :

Mac : /Volumes/BigLacieDisk/Documents/myhiddenfile.doc
Xp : drive:\Documents\myhiddenfile.doc --replace drive: with the drive eg c: or d: etc

Things to try :

1) You can make hidden files visible in any Explorer window by selecting Tools, Folder Options. Click the View tab and then select Show hidden files and folders. (The default setting is Do not show hidden files and folders.)
See if this makes your hidden file visible again.

2) Copy the file to your mac like chown33 suggested and run chflags command on it.
Code:
chflags nohidden /Users/kryten/Desktop/Test\ Folder/Testfile.doc

3) Run the attrib command on Xp with Run-->cmd

I tested 2 and 3 on a file made hidden on a Virtual machine with XP and was succesful in making it visible again.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 20.55.58.png
    Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 20.55.58.png
    301.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 21.04.39.png
    Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 21.04.39.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 21.08.47.png
    Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 21.08.47.png
    46 KB · Views: 121
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.