Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
My wife's line is eligible for upgrade on 1/3/2013. I would really like to upgrade her to an iPhone5 for Christmas, but obviously in order to do that I need to get her date bumped up.

Given that, I have two questions I would appreciate your opinion on:
1.) Have you ever been able to get AT&T to move your date up. If so, by how much?
2.) If you wanted to order a white 64GB iPhone5, what would you consider the latest possible date to order it and still have it on time for Christmas? This is assuming I have to order through the Apple Store if the local AT&T store does not have the phone in stock.

Any suggestions that will help me get one of this into my wife's hand on Christmas morning are greatly appreciated!

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
My wife's line is eligible for upgrade on 1/3/2013. I would really like to upgrade her to an iPhone5 for Christmas, but obviously in order to do that I need to get her date bumped up.

Given that, I have two questions I would appreciate your opinion on:
1.) Have you ever been able to get AT&T to move your date up. If so, by how much?
2.) If you wanted to order a white 64GB iPhone5, what would you consider the latest possible date to order it and still have it on time for Christmas? This is assuming I have to order through the Apple Store if the local AT&T store does not have the phone in stock.

Any suggestions that will help me get one of this into my wife's hand on Christmas morning are greatly appreciated!

They will do it up to 45 days early without an issue. So I'd call at the beginning of December and you should be fine to get it in time for Christmas. By then I'd imagine stock would be more plentiful, and 3+ weeks is enough time to ensure it arrives on time.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
They will do it up to 45 days early without an issue. So I'd call at the beginning of December and you should be fine to get it in time for Christmas. By then I'd imagine stock would be more plentiful, and 3+ weeks is enough time to ensure it arrives on time.

Cool, thanks. I will shoot for hitting them up somewhere around December 1st then.

I did get her an early upgrade last time too, but it was only by one week.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008

Really? Do you know this from experience? From what I've heard they're pretty unforgiving on iPhone upgrades in particular. Like no wiggle room at all.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Really? Do you know this from experience? From what I've heard they're pretty unforgiving on iPhone upgrades in particular. Like no wiggle room at all.

In my experience with AT&T, upgrade dates are usually moved up to the first of the month in which your upgrade would be up. For example, if your contract end-date was today, you would've been eligible on November 1st. That of course limits the number of days to 30'ish, as opposed to 45, but it's better than waiting until the exact date.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
In my experience with AT&T, upgrade dates are usually moved up to the first of the month in which your upgrade would be up. For example, if your contract end-date was today, you would've been eligible on November 1st. That of course limits the number of days to 30'ish, as opposed to 45, but it's better than waiting until the exact date.

Ha, my upgrade date is Jan 2nd.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
Ha, my upgrade date is Jan 2nd.

I would try calling them in December and see if they will do it. They would upgrade my wife's phone when I called them but I held off on the upgrade. Her upgrade date is 12/10/12 and I called them in mid November and they were wiling to do it.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
My dads upgrade date was February 1st, I just called last week, and asked them to upgrade it so I can buy him a phone for the holidays, and they checked my bill, saw I had 4 phones on the plan, never late, etc and got manager approval and I got the iPhone 2 days later, Fedex overnight, with no upgrade charge or charge for shipping...

I was very surprised that ATT took care of me that well, give it a shot, you never know what CR will tell you, or how they will treat you until you try.

mgarc1125

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I just got my iPhone 5 this week even though I wasn't eligible for an upgrade till May 8th since I got the 4S last year. Following the advice of other people on the forums I simply called 3 different times, was very polite, and nicely asked if my upgrade could be moved up. 3rd time was the charm. The first time I called the CS Rep tried but ultimately couldn't get approval from her manager, possibly because I was still under one year. Then on Black Friday I called twice and the second CS Rep was able to process the order for the normal 199 price. Got my iPhone a couple days later. :)

Like others have said it definitely helps if you always pay your bill on time and possibly if you have it on auto-pay like I do.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009

^ This. My official upgrade date was actually today (11/29), but I was able to do in on 11/1. It seems that as long as it is within your month for an upgrade, AT&T will let you do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.