Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lotus8

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
great article! I really like tips like that, that cause no harm but can only help battery life. Thanks for posting it!

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
nice. report back people. i will do it as well.
I have put everything off in that system location settings, and also the ad thing.

Although my guess is that the ad thing almost uses no battery.
That ad switch also got a help message below the switch saying in the future it will probaly will be permanently on? or off? i dont really completly understand that. can someone tell me?

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
omg, this article is really stretching it. in no way does turning these things "off" increase battery life. you could POSSIBLY says that turning off 'traffic' might help...but the other, nope, not at all.

if you want better battery life, just turn your phone off completely...it'll last days!

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I will say however that if you suggest people turn off "traffic" you are sort of shooting yourself in the foot. If everyone turns it off, there will be no traffic data!

Also, ad tracking doesn't use location, so I don't see why it would drain battery.

Location based iads DO use location though!

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
omg, this article is really stretching it. in no way does turning these things "off" increase battery life. you could POSSIBLY says that turning off 'traffic' might help...but the other, nope, not at all.

if you want better battery life, just turn your phone off completely...it'll last days!

i do believe it does increase battery life by something. This is because those location things doesnt show in the status bar so i had no idea they were on.
3 of those system location services has asked the location the last 24H.
Could also be some minutes instead of hours...

We will see after hopefully some of us report back tommorow.
I take some trust into those hacking scene guys.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
nice. report back people. i will do it as well.
I have put everything off in that system location settings, and also the ad thing.

Although my guess is that the ad thing almost uses no battery.
That ad switch also got a help message below the switch saying in the future it will probaly will be permanently on? or off? i dont really completly understand that. can someone tell me?

They are saying basically that switch will only fully work in the future when everyone is using the new unique identifier. In the mean time, you will still get some targeted ads as they are using an old method.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
They are saying basically that switch will only fully work in the future when everyone is using the new unique identifier. In the mean time, you will still get some targeted ads as they are using an old method.

ah okay, thanks :)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

you're right... using the gps, and data doesnt use battery.. :rolleyes:

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010

The location services does significantly drain your battery life depending whether these services keep pinging the cell towers. We just tested this in our new iPHone 5 and by turning these services off, we were able to see a 35% increase in battery life over the same period. For ***** and giggles we enabled it again and we saw the same awful battery life again. Turned it off again and voila, battery life fixed. I remember these issues when the 4S came out with iOS 5.0. Same issues with 6.0 it seems :rolleyes:

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Normally i end the working day at 25% or so. Today but with more usage then a normal day, i ended up with 29%. Im a bit happier, but no miracles.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I will say however that if you suggest people turn off "traffic" you are sort of shooting yourself in the foot. If everyone turns it off, there will be no traffic data!

Also, ad tracking doesn't use location, so I don't see why it would drain battery.

Location based iads DO use location though!

I turn that traffic stuff off.
My battery life is more important than the next person knowing the traffic.

The American Way.....I only care about myself and how things can benefit me, not benefit the next man :)

deyjavoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
Crap that traffic thing is very helpful I'd hate to see everyone turn it off, but if it truly draining the battery then I understand.

mojo pin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest,US
Thanks for posting this! I'm going to give it a try. I don't have a horrible battery; I'd say it's fairly average (about 7.5 hours usage, 15.5 standby on average) but others seem to be getting quite a bit more. I already had some of those settings turned off but was able to add a couple more to the list. I'll report back with my results!

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Any "improvements" in battery life you see are purely in your head, or due to a number of variables. This is a horribly unscientific experiment.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Any "improvements" in battery life you see are purely in your head, or due to a number of variables. This is a horribly unscientific experiment.

no, its not. i used my iphone even more then other days, and i ended up with more percentage then those other days. thats not in my head.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
no, its not. i used my iphone even more then other days, and i ended up with more percentage then those other days. thats not in my head.

That doesn't make it scientific.

It's impossible to test.

You can't use your phone in an identical manner multiple times without using a contrived test.

GUCCIMAN

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
thanks I'll report back if i notice any difference, just did as the article said.

re: traffic

I've no idea how this works or what it does, could anyone quickly fill me in? I'm assuming it's the feature that logs where you and everyone else's location so it can determine how busy some streets are.. or whatever.. lol

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Was one of the first things I turned on when I turned on the phone for the very first time. I've had incredible battery performances so far. It's kind of doubling what my 4S achieved. (Same config)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.