Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 1, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
CrazyPirate
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Mac mail and Exchange

Hi there,

I have a small problem with my MacMail settings. I'm using two e-mail adresses; Hotmail and Gmail. So when i bought my MacBook Pro (2 days ago) i added 2 e-mail accounts to MacMail: a Gmail and a Hotmail account. The Gmail account works perfectly. I see all my maps, and the e-mails sync with the server without any problems.
But it's anothor case with the Hotmail account. When i'm at home i use my desktop PC (windows). So that's also where i read my mail. To do this i use Windows Live Mail. Before i got the Mac there where no problems and i could read my mail on my iPod and Android phone without any problems. It wouls sync immediately and i could see all the maps in my Inbox. All these things don't work on my Mac. When i read an email on my hotmail account and delete it afterwards it doesn't sync with my Windows Live. And i also can't see the maps i've made in Windows Live on my Mac.

I know it's only a settings problem, because i had the same problems with my iPod.

Could someone please explain what i should do?


Thak you very much!!
CrazyPirate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 02:34 PM   #2
SuperRob
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPirate View Post
Hi there,

I have a small problem with my MacMail settings. I'm using two e-mail adresses; Hotmail and Gmail. So when i bought my MacBook Pro (2 days ago) i added 2 e-mail accounts to MacMail: a Gmail and a Hotmail account. The Gmail account works perfectly. I see all my maps, and the e-mails sync with the server without any problems.
But it's anothor case with the Hotmail account. When i'm at home i use my desktop PC (windows). So that's also where i read my mail. To do this i use Windows Live Mail. Before i got the Mac there where no problems and i could read my mail on my iPod and Android phone without any problems. It wouls sync immediately and i could see all the maps in my Inbox. All these things don't work on my Mac. When i read an email on my hotmail account and delete it afterwards it doesn't sync with my Windows Live. And i also can't see the maps i've made in Windows Live on my Mac.

I know it's only a settings problem, because i had the same problems with my iPod.

Could someone please explain what i should do?


Thak you very much!!
Hotmail doesn't support IMAP through Mail.app, which is exactly what you'd need. There are some workarounds, but none of them are satisfactory in my opinion. Sadly, this appears to be an issue of Microsoft intentionally blocking the desktop apps from using the IMAP interface, since the same settings work fine in mobile apps.
SuperRob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 02:58 PM   #3
CrazyPirate
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRob View Post
Hotmail doesn't support IMAP through Mail.app, which is exactly what you'd need. There are some workarounds, but none of them are satisfactory in my opinion. Sadly, this appears to be an issue of Microsoft intentionally blocking the desktop apps from using the IMAP interface, since the same settings work fine in mobile apps.
So there's no way i could sync my hotmail with my MacMail?
What about Outlook? Or will i have the same problem?
CrazyPirate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPirate View Post
So there's no way i could sync my hotmail with my MacMail?
What about Outlook? Or will i have the same problem?
I think you will have the same problems - Never gotten hotmail to work with desktop mail platforms on any system except for mobile ones.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 05:13 AM   #5
CrazyPirate
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
I think you will have the same problems - Never gotten hotmail to work with desktop mail platforms on any system except for mobile ones.
Well that sucks!!
So there's no other way? That's just sad..
CrazyPirate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:58 AM   #6
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Nope - that's Microsoft for you.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC