Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeloman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
How long does it take to have AT&T unlock my iPhone 4 typically? The site says 5-7 days but I've heard it goes a lot quicker than that.
Anyone have any experience and can give me an answer?
Thanks!

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I *just* did this.

First email sent to AT&T on 23 September, and got confirmation same day, saying 5-7 business days.

Got email on 30 September saying it was reviewed and approved for unlock, and to wait 24 hours from that email to complete the unlock.

Today, 15 hours after the second email, I put in a new SIM card from O2-UK, and it works. I didn't have to restore it with iTunes, and I never got the message that says, "Congrats, your iPhone is unlocked." I did check the IMEI sites, and they all show my phone is unlocked, so I know it's all fine. I even shut it off and restarted a couple times and synced the iPhone with iTunes just to make sure it all works right. I can play my music via iTunes Match, still on 5.1.1, and it's just like normal. No jailbreak or any hacks.

So in my case, from my first action in emailing AT&T to fully unlocked iPhone, it took eight days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.