Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:09 PM   #76
RRutter
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to RRutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerGT2.5 View Post
Hipsters are gonna freak if they can't wear their jeans skin tight for fear of bending their phone. Now they won't be able to kill millions of sperm and walk around with their scrotum in their abdominal cavity.
LOL. We'll be able to see the 10 degree bend in their iPhone thanks to their skinny jeans! It will be like an acute triangle sticking out of their pockets.
RRutter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:17 PM   #77
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRutter View Post
LOL. We'll be able to see the 10 degree bend in their iPhone thanks to their skinny jeans! It will be like an acute triangle sticking out of their pockets.
huh
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:19 PM   #78
RRutter
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to RRutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
huh
Huh. Post count increaser? :troll: Just joking, friend
RRutter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:22 PM   #79
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRutter View Post
Huh. Post count increaser? :troll: Just joking, friend
Yeah. That...

more so saying "huh" in terms of the "acute triangle" part of the post.
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:04 PM   #80
SR45
Banned

AppleCare +

Good investment
SR45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:50 PM   #81
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
AppleCare +

Good investment
haha yup. Also, not sitting down with it in your front pocket.
kalexn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:22 PM   #82
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Those are due to defective anodizing coating. You're implying there's another issue on top of defective anodizing coating and that's the use of the softer aluminum. The latter has to be across the board but the fact that many of us still have flawless iPhone 5 free of dents argues against the softer aluminum being a culprit.
And you're assuming that the same grade of aluminum is being used in all the iPhones.
Not a safe bet with multiple factories in multiple countries involved.
Gjwilly is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:30 PM   #83
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
And you're assuming that the same grade of aluminum is being used in all the iPhones.
Not a safe bet with multiple factories in multiple countries involved.
I don't think Apple is dumb enough to use different grades of anodized aluminum that may be more or less susceptible to wear and tear. I'm betting the ones that are rubbing off like crazy within a few days actually have defective anodizing coating.
JayLenochiniMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:30 PM   #84
naths
macrumors 6502

these phones cannot just be bending by putting them in a pocket!, doesn't anyone think Apple does a little bit of testing on the strength of the things?, i'v got a Galaxy S3 which is near as dammit the same thickness, always in my back jeans pocket, no case, and the thing doesn't even look used yet alone bent!!, i suppose i could say to all you Samsung haters "cheap crap plastic"...hmm yep but it doesn't bend!!...but i'm not into all that childish rubbish, all i'm going to say is that a company like Apple would never ever release a product with such a really obvious design fault, if someone has managed to bend one they have either purposely done it or had it in their back pocket and be 30st and bent it getting in and out of all those really healthy restaurant Mcdonalds seats!!!
naths is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:34 PM   #85
smellysox8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
I don't think Apple is dumb enough to use different grades of anodized aluminum that may be more or less susceptible to wear and tear. I'm betting the ones that are rubbing off like crazy within a few days actually have defective anodizing coating.
I don't think Apple is dumb enough to replace a fully working Maps app with one that doesn't. Wait, oops....
smellysox8 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:54 AM   #86
Takeo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalexn View Post
So it's the users fault for carrying their phone in their pocket. I mean who does that?! That's just crazy talk... carrying a phone in your pocket! They're not designed for that!!!!
Takeo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:57 AM   #87
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysox8 View Post
I don't think Apple is dumb enough to replace a fully working Maps app with one that doesn't. Wait, oops....
That's a bit unfair. I think it was dumb of them for taking google maps away but I do not fault apple for trying to give users a native turn by turn navigation app.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:12 PM   #88
Austintylerl
macrumors newbie

UPDATE
went to apple store, genius was speechless and the phone was replaced. Didn't even have to use my AppleCare!
Austintylerl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:18 PM   #89
SuperSnake2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalexn View Post
That's just plain ridiculous. Don't sit down with your phone in your pocket? Give me a break.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:43 PM   #90
Bbkbbk12
macrumors newbie

The same exact thing happened to my iPhone 5. And I was wearing sports shorts. I had a pretty hardcore case on it. My volume buttons got stuck so I pulled off my case... And sure enough it was bent. About just as much as the picture you put up.
Bbkbbk12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:15 PM   #91
asleep
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbkbbk12 View Post
The same exact thing happened to my iPhone 5. And I was wearing sports shorts. I had a pretty hardcore case on it. My volume buttons got stuck so I pulled off my case... And sure enough it was bent. About just as much as the picture you put up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintylerl View Post
...I like the phone. Just wanted to see if I'm the only one.
Apparently not.

I'd just as soon have a heavier phone due to stronger metal than a bendable iPhone.
asleep is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:58 AM   #92
snowtrooper1966
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
Thinner glass and thinner metal band is going to make the phone more prone to bending. Just look at how little metal there is left on the band where the button for volume is located. It is why is never carry in my pocket.
What "band" are folks talking about?
The 5 is a unibody (picture a bathtub) made from milled aluminum. There is no band around the perimeter like the 4/4S.....
snowtrooper1966 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:08 AM   #93
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post
What "band" are folks talking about?
The 5 is a unibody (picture a bathtub) made from milled aluminum. There is no band around the perimeter like the 4/4S.....
Picture a unibody bathtub with two big holes in the bottom on opposite sides and filled in with glass. You have two big over hanging loops on both ends that only have a little bit of material holding them all. They are in essence unsupported levers, which is a design flaw with the amount of material Apple is using here.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:08 AM   #94
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintylerl View Post
UPDATE
went to apple store, genius was speechless and the phone was replaced. Didn't even have to use my AppleCare!
This is the main reason I opted for a new 4S over the 5. I played with the 5 at ATT and damn, that thing felt delicate. Too light and too thin. I work a lot with my phone in my pocket and I would never trust this thing not to bend. Apple has definately gone too far with it's obsession with thin.

So, great. Get a new, thin, light iPhone 5, but make sure you put it in a huge, heavy case to protect it. Am I the only one that sees the stupidity in this?

(there's even another thread where a guy's iPhone 5 got hot and came out of his Otterbox case warped.)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:25 AM   #95
3rd Rock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
This is the main reason I opted for a new 4S over the 5. I played with the 5 at ATT and damn, that thing felt delicate. Too light and too thin. I work a lot with my phone in my pocket and I would never trust this thing not to bend. Apple has definately gone too far with it's obsession with thin.

So, great. Get a new, thin, light iPhone 5, but make sure you put it in a huge, heavy case to protect it. Am I the only one that sees the stupidity in this?

(there's even another thread where a guy's iPhone 5 got hot and came out of his Otterbox case warped.)
Wish Apple would, but don't think they will ever go back to the same thickness of the iPhone 4S. I agree completely that thin is really not the way to go that causes the phone to bend even if its just slightly or we have to be even more careful with it. iPhone 4S was not heavy at all, and if Apple could build a better longer lasting battery within the same thickness of the iphone 4 that would be a plus.

----------

Apple: Please learn a lesson and stop trying to match the thin Android phones. Most of us like a solid smartphone next time around
3rd Rock is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:30 AM   #96
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Yes Apple. They just got lucky the problem is only isolated to a few hundred people for now. But when other peoples phone start bending expect "bend-gate"
tymaster50 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:41 PM   #97
abercrombie
macrumors regular

Do not try to bend the phone that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no phone.
abercrombie is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:48 PM   #98
malias4
macrumors 6502

OMG This is really crazy!
I hope mine stays okk for a while
malias4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:51 PM   #99
eyecon82
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Yes Apple. They just got lucky the problem is only isolated to a few hundred people for now. But when other peoples phone start bending expect "bend-gate"
keep in mind there are many others suffering this problem that don't go onto forums to complain...my sister is one of them
eyecon82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:29 PM   #100
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
keep in mind there are many others suffering this problem that don't go onto forums to complain...my sister is one of them
I say they should. The more people complaining the faster it will get changed. Well I mean they can't do like a recall of the product but maybe they can offer to replace bent iPhones for free or something. Or a special iPhone bumper.
I shouldn't have to shell out $20+ for a case to enjoy my very expensive phone. It's been pretty drop proof so far but I don't have the ease of mind anymore knowing that it could just suddenly turn up bent.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone