Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:33 AM   #126
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courty03 View Post
I bought the iPhone 5 two weeks ago, this is my first iPhone and I gotta say - I'm not exactly thrilled with my experience right now. I had the same issue; put my phone in the small pocket of my purse and it bent in the top, left hand corner of the phone. I didn't drop the phone, or the purse. The phone is showing a very noticeable crack near one of the volume buttons.

Apple won't help me in store, or via their 1-800 number. I am being told I have to pay $200 if I want to replace it since this apparently looks like it was a user issue and is not a manufacturing issue. After seeing multiple comments on web forums, it is quite clear we did not all do this to our phones. If I had dropped the phone with enough force to bend it back like that, it seems to me the screen would also have damage.

Clearly the metal used with this model is more malleable than it's predecessors. It is not reinforced enough around the volume buttons causing it to bend backwards if any force is put on it over a long enough period of time. No one should have to be paranoid that their $700 phone will warp when they put it in their pocket or purse. Apple needs to realize this is a growing issue, fix it, and show us that "world-class" customer service they are supposedly known for. I have yet to see it.
Wow. It is bent exactly the same way as the other users with this problem. Notice the notch right by the volume button.

For the deniers, there are obviously some units out there with this defect. Why would they all exhibit the same notch?
NovemberWhiskey is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:35 AM   #127
zandermom23
macrumors newbie

Wink

To jon

I changed my mind Jon, spoon thing sounds like a great idea

Last edited by zandermom23; Nov 9, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
zandermom23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:05 AM   #128
Zaft
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by muy picante View Post
Let's wait and see how it develops - apple probably decided to save on r&d and skipped prototype phone reliability tests I am pretty sure that Steve would never allow such product to be manufactured and sold to customers. On the bright side - phone still works, so display is good indeed, flexibe. Just 1 point - glass would never bend, it would shatter immediately, so front screen is probably plastic - gorilla plastic that phone will scratch from all sides, epic fail. m
Steve jobs allowed the iphone 4 antenna issue.... enough with this Stve jobs crap. he was far from perfect.
Zaft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:19 AM   #129
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Just looked at my launch day 32GB black/slate verizon, mostly a front pocket carrier, it DOES have a slight bend in it, bending toward the back of the phone. I rarely if ever sit down with the phone in any of my pockets... dang it!
The display is very flexible on these phones. This is why we are seeing bent bodies with a non-damaged screen. You could try to bend it back gently. Place it on a table and force it flat by pushing on the bezel.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaft View Post
Steve jobs allowed the iphone 4 antenna issue.... enough with this Stve jobs crap. he was far from perfect.
True but he was 10X the man Cook is. Cook is reactive. Stock dips, lets fix it. He is not innovating anything.
Rocko1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:22 PM   #130
mariatei
macrumors newbie

bent phone

my iphone was also bend while i had it in my front pocket. does anyone know if Apple replace your iphone if you complain to them? is it possible to get like a refund or a new phone? I really didn't expect this from a 530 pund phone....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	376155  
mariatei is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:40 PM   #131
spyd4r
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatei View Post
my iphone was also bend while i had it in my front pocket. does anyone know if Apple replace your iphone if you complain to them? is it possible to get like a refund or a new phone? I really didn't expect this from a 530 pund phone....
damn, thats bent!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:47 PM   #132
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

It's obvious from most of the bent phones we're seeing that the weak spot is by the volume cutouts. Those saying they sit on their phone and get punched in their phone and have no damage are wasting their breath. Unless you're unlucky enough to put the (accidental or not) required force exactly on that spot, it may be very tough to bend. I have my 4S in my front (snug) jean pocket as we speak and I could see a 5 bending if I squatted down hard. That's the main reason I went with a 4S instead. You'd be amazed at the force of a few pounds per square inch.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:47 PM   #133
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Quote:
For you guys claiming your phones get bent while in your front pocket, just how tight did it feel when you're sitting down and getting up? How deep are your pockets? The shorts I wear have 12" deep pockets, and I can carry anything in them. OTOH, most of my pants pockets are only 8" deep, and the pants fit more tightly to boot, and it is not pleasant to sit down and stand up when I have a smart phone in the front pocket. I try to avoid it, and when I can't, I always adjust things very gingerly to avoid the feeling that the phone (actually, 5th generation touch, which is even thinner) is being compromised. The Touch becomes an honorary third boy, so to speak, and tight pants aren't good for any of 'em. It's just common sense.
jon3543 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:02 PM   #134
Adutrumque
Banned

Quote:
Damn.... Lol that looks weird.
Get it to a doctor, asap. That leg needs a CPR.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:16 PM   #135
eyecon82
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
It's obvious from most of the bent phones we're seeing that the weak spot is by the volume cutouts. Those saying they sit on their phone and get punched in their phone and have no damage are wasting their breath. Unless you're unlucky enough to put the (accidental or not) required force exactly on that spot, it may be very tough to bend. I have my 4S in my front (snug) jean pocket as we speak and I could see a 5 bending if I squatted down hard. That's the main reason I went with a 4S instead. You'd be amazed at the force of a few pounds per square inch.
look at post #131...it didn't bend at the volume buttons like others
eyecon82 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:39 PM   #136
eelw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
Wow. It is bent exactly the same way as the other users with this problem. Notice the notch right by the volume button.

For the deniers, there are obviously some units out there with this defect. Why would they all exhibit the same notch?
Yes, the weak spot of the unibody frame is right there. But for it to spontaneously bend like many here are claiming it to, that just isn't believable.
eelw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:52 PM   #137
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelw View Post
Yes, the weak spot of the unibody frame is right there. But for it to spontaneously bend like many here are claiming it to, that just isn't believable.
it actually did bend on me once, I literally woke up and checked my phone and it was slightly bent, enough for it to raise off the table if you press down on the top.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:11 AM   #138
eyecon82
macrumors newbie

Quote:
well believe it....pictures are proof ... iGnorance at its best
eyecon82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:43 AM   #139
Deako
macrumors 6502

Mine has a very minor bend in it too. Probably no more than 1 degree. Only noticeable if I place it on a flat surface and rock it. I'm sure it will get worse over time.
Deako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:57 AM   #140
Bishwasher
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antho00ny View Post
I hope this isn't too common. I'd like to see a picture.
ImageImageImageImage
Your pictures aren't working.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:27 AM   #141
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Might have better luck calling apple and pleading your case.
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:16 AM   #142
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
well believe it....pictures are proof ... iGnorance at its best
The pictures do not prove how it bent. Only that it bent.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:29 PM   #143
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

Quote:
yeah it is.

Possible causes:

1. Swollen battery
2. Some other exergonic/exothermic reaction that cause some deformation in the internals
3. manufacturing defects causing structural instability wherein parts deform over time.
NovemberWhiskey is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:31 PM   #144
itsmejon
macrumors newbie

was there a high temperature near your phone at some point because i would guess there are heat sensative locations on it because before i got rid of my 4 it i noticed it was bent and wondered why and then figured out it was from the heat of the phone and because i charged it in a hotter area than normal a few times
itsmejon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:06 PM   #145
stoneland
macrumors member

How do people even manage sit with their phones in their front pocket especially if they are wearing jeans or something other than dress pants or shorts or khakis? I feel like it would be really uncomfortable...but I guess that's just me.
stoneland is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:19 PM   #146
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneland View Post
How do people even manage sit with their phones in their front pocket especially if they are wearing jeans or something other than dress pants or shorts or khakis? I feel like it would be really uncomfortable...but I guess that's just me.
I don't wear tight jeans?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:35 PM   #147
andrewsd
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to andrewsd
Me to

My new one arrives Monday. Free of any charge.

Mines also been in a case since day one. And only notice when I took it out to clean it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	644.9 KB
ID:	376434  
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:23 PM   #148
aman.agrawal
macrumors newbie

iPHONE 5

I have the same issue with my phone. I went to the iphone store for a replacement for the phone , they juss replied its a physical damage and will not be covered under warranty. Did u get a replacement for your phone ???
aman.agrawal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:18 PM   #149
sparky1680
macrumors newbie

If you want to see my story about the same issue, including a detailed account of Apple's response see

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ht=spontaneous

titled spontaneous separation of new iphone5
sparky1680 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:57 AM   #150
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1680 View Post
If you want to see my story about the same issue, including a detailed account of Apple's response see

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ht=spontaneous

titled spontaneous separation of new iphone5
I read your first post, found it completely unbelievable, and stopped there. It's no more believable now than when you wrote it 6 weeks ago. The word you're spreading is different than what you think it is.
jon3543 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone