Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:01 PM   #1
mattdocs12345
macrumors member

My first mac to hell with Thinkpads

I needed a computer right now, urgently. My not so old Thinkpad crapped out on me completely. The screen started flickering and giving me a headache.

Honestly I am happy to get rid of the Thinkpad brand, it became cheap with horrendous customer service. Not what it used to be. And laptop broke after less than 2 years.

The only thing I am truly missing is a trackpoint. But will get used to touchpad again with time.

I settled down on a base model.
And instead of paying for RAM upgrade, Im putting $100 towards a new laptop 3 years from now.
mattdocs12345 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:35 PM   #2
pasadena
macrumors 6502

I bought a MBP when my Dell started showing its age (it wasn't crap, just old) and Win8 got out at the same time.

Never looked back. I only regret not doing it sooner.

Now, I wouldn't use a MBA base model as my primary computer, but that depends entirely of your usage.
Edit : also depends on whether you got the 11" or the 13"

Oh, and the trackpad ? The one on the macbook will make you forget the trackpoint (I have a solid hatred for trackpads and never use it on a windows laptop, always use the trackpoint or a mouse. I seriously love the trackpad on the macbook).
Old Feb 1, 2015, 01:08 PM   #3
qcmacmini
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Oh, and the trackpad ? The one on the macbook will make you forget the trackpoint (I have a solid hatred for trackpads and never use it on a windows laptop, always use the trackpoint or a mouse. I seriously love the trackpad on the macbook).
My old Lenovo is a track point model, and it was great, did the job for years.

I've have a hatred for trackpads too, after various Dell work laptops were given to me without a choice in the last 10 years.

After using the Apple Magic Trackpad with my Mac mini for a month now, I've already ordered a Macbook Air to use when I'm traveling!
qcmacmini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Meister
macrumors Demi-God

The base mba is a fantastic bang for the buck and very capable as a main computer for most people.
Enjoy
Old Feb 1, 2015, 03:01 PM   #5
Windowsrefugee
macrumors regular

As a Windows Refugee, I went thru Dell and ThinkPad en route Back to Mac about 5 years ago. Have had a 13" MBA (on my 3rd) ever since. I have passed my older ones on to other family members and now have 2013 that is so far superior to any other computer I have ever owned. It serves as my primary (and only) computer for my business-- it is so portable with such a good battery life that I always have my office with me! As with others, I have never looked back nor do I intend to.... Now about that new 12" MBA with even better battery life and retina display.... I CAN'T WAIT!
Windowsrefugee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2015, 01:34 AM   #6
Baunkjaer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Baunkjaer
Agree with your opinion on the ThinkPadīs. Last year, I sold my MBP 2011, and bought the brand new T540p with i7, 16GB RAM and fast SSD. Very powerfull machine, but the trackpad was practically useless. Hated it from day one.
After a month, I decided that my swap from Mac to Windows was a serious mistake, sold the ThinkPad, and bought the base 13 MBA.
I admit it lacks some power, but as a portable back-up for my MP, itīs simply perfect.

MP 5,1, 6C 3,46GHz, 24GB, 512GB XP941, 2*2TB WD Red [RAID1], 1TB WD Black, HD 5870, 2*Dell P2314H MBA 6,2,  iPhone 6  iPad Air  2TB TC
Baunkjaer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air