Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 7, 2014, 04:04 AM   #1
Turnpike
macrumors regular

Are Macbook Air keyboards exactly the same as MBP keyboards? 2014

Are the current MBA keyboards the exact same feel, space, and everything as the Macbook Pro keyboards? I type for 8-10 hours a day, and decided to learn to switch from a Dell keyboard to laptop- am I getting anything different of a keyboard (in any way) by going with the ultra portable Air as opposed to the MBPro's?

Thank you!
Turnpike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2014, 05:55 PM   #2
dagdagdag234
macrumors regular

The size and distance are the same but the keys do feel shallower.

I had a 2009 MBP and just recently switched to a 2014 11" macbook air.

That said, in a couple of days got used to it and love the portability.

Other thing to keep in mind, if you ever type on your actual lap, the AIR (probably both sizes) feel different, a little more wobbly, because the keyboard is so much thinner and lighter than the Pro. That took a little more time but eventually got used to that too.
dagdagdag234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2014, 06:51 PM   #3
capathy21
macrumors 6502a

Yes they are a bit different. The spacing seems to be the same but as mentioned above, the depth of the key travel is less on the Air. It seems that most people prefer the deeper key travel of the pro but I am generally able to type a bit faster on the Air. They are both fantastic and once you get used to one, you will love it.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 09:45 PM   #4
John marts
macrumors member

The F keys on top are super thing too if you get the 11' model. Yes they are more shallow as well.
John marts is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2015, 08:34 PM   #5
Turnpike
macrumors regular

I just wanted to follow this thread up with a note that I bought a Macbook Air, and the above info was spot-on, including the part about how you get used to it in a couple of days and never give it a second thought, and you get hooked on the portability.... Just in case someone else finds this while searching.

Thanks guys!
Turnpike is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air