Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:09 AM   #1
DwightKincaid
macrumors newbie

screwed up password

So on my macbook air, I tried to update my password. Apparently I hit a wrong key, now I have no idea what my password is. So I can't update my flash player (Adobe), or anything else that requires me to enter the password that I now do not know. Any suggestions? This is not a stolen laptop, I purchased it new, have the receipt, just for those who want to make accusations. I just screwed up on the password.
DwightKincaid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 01:03 AM   #2
laudern
macrumors 6502

This is really a non issue. Just get a portable HDD, copy every file you need onto it. Format your pc, reinstall your OS X and you're good to go...

Although it's beyond me how you mucked up your password twice when entering in your new password.
laudern is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 02:03 AM   #3
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudern View Post
Although it's beyond me how you mucked up your password twice when entering in your new password.
It's possible; I often transpose M and N when typing so it's not impossible to make the same mistake twice in a row when entering a password. Indeed I have set an incorrect password myself.

As for the actual issue, I believe that it's possible to reset a password by booting into recovery (hold Option at the boot chime).
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 02:18 AM   #4
laudern
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
As for the actual issue, I believe that it's possible to reset a password by booting into recovery (hold Option at the boot chime).
Yes do this. That is the best option! I forgot about that.

I am waiting for the day when macs have an iCloud lockout feature.I know you can lock your laptop remotely...But I am suggesting a full 'iCloud lock'...That would make mac safety excellent.
laudern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwightKincaid View Post
So on my macbook air, I tried to update my password. Apparently I hit a wrong key, now I have no idea what my password is. So I can't update my flash player (Adobe), or anything else that requires me to enter the password that I now do not know. Any suggestions? This is not a stolen laptop, I purchased it new, have the receipt, just for those who want to make accusations. I just screwed up on the password.
Just follow this guide to reset the password.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:51 AM   #6
chabig
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudern View Post
But I am suggesting a full 'iCloud lock'
What is that?
chabig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 03:14 PM   #7
laudern
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
What is that?
You can remote lock a mac. But if you want to format it and start over, you can still do that even when it is remote locked.

The same can not be done when an iPhone/pad is iCloud locked. Thats what I would like to see implemented on macs...
laudern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 03:36 PM   #8
chabig
macrumors 65816

I see. An activation lock. That would be really great.
chabig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #9
DwightKincaid
macrumors newbie

Smile Thanks everyone

Thank you for the help. Holding the option down on restart worked fine. How I screwed it up when I had to enter the password twice is beyond me, but I was real tired of not being able to update my flash player, among other things. That problem is now solved.
DwightKincaid is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air