Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznkrnboi9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Aloha guys. I just got my RMBP 4 days ago and I noticed the scroll lag on Chrome and Safari about 2 days ago. I'm planning to go to the Apple store tomorrow and see if they can do anything about it. Will they swap it out for a new one if the problem still persists?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
You might want to try reinstalling OS X first and see if that resolves the issue. I haven't had any lag issues in either Chrome or Safari on my rMBP, so I'm wondering if it's a hardware or software issue that you're experiencing.

sydenham

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
User error. You are not scrolling up and down you are going slightly diagonally is my guess.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
User error. You are not scrolling up and down you are going slightly diagonally is my guess.

I doubt that's the case, because I can intentionally drag diagonally across my trackpad and the scrolling is just as fast and responsive as if I had scrolled in a truly vertical manner.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
You might want to try reinstalling OS X first and see if that resolves the issue. I haven't had any lag issues in either Chrome or Safari on my rMBP, so I'm wondering if it's a hardware or software issue that you're experiencing.

Don't believe people like this who either have really bad eyes or purposely refuse to see any fault to make themselves feel better. chrome isn't even properly gpu accelerated yet so there's obviously going to be lag. It's definitely not as smooth as the current version of safari.

Even in safari its clearly not as smooth as a non retina MacBook.

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
There's a lot of rMBP's that lag, but also a lot that don't, so I'm guessing it's software. Should get better with updates/new installation of os. Then again, you never know.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Don't believe people like this who either have really bad eyes or purposely refuse to see any fault to make themselves feel better. chrome isn't even properly gpu accelerated yet so there's obviously going to be lag. It's definitely not as smooth as the current version of safari.

Even in safari its clearly not as smooth as a non retina MacBook.

Do you EVER do anything besides make false and asinine accusations against people? You lack of significant contributions to this forum are becoming a sad, sad commentary on yourself. Since the rMBP came out, you've said it's laggy as hell and insulted anyone who has not had the same experience. Just get lost already.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
As someone previously posted, I think it is a driver issue. I have a clear lag when switching between desktops. Sometimes it is there, sometimes not. I could easily replicate it on all machines at my local apple store. I would believe that some people are just ignoring it. I find it really annoying given that my mbp '10 didn't behave like that. I still have to see a rMBP that doesn't have the issue. So far all 4 machines I tested behaved like that.

ohkuipo

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
And I don't have any scroll lag on Chrome — but I use Chrom(ium) nightly where hardware acceleration is fully enabled, you can check your chrome here: chrome://gpu/

I automate my chromium update using launchd and this automagic updater script:

https://github.com/n1k0/chromium-updater/blob/master/getchromium.sh

Is Chromium noticeably smoother than Chrome on your laptop, and if so, do you credit that to GPU acceleration?

Is Safari GPU-accelerated on the MBPR?

For as much as I love my laptop, it pains me to see my browser of choice behave like such a hog. Every time I think there *must* be something wrong with the computer, I switch to Safari and it just flies in comparison. I really want Chrome to catch up.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Aloha guys. I just got my RMBP 4 days ago and I noticed the scroll lag on Chrome and Safari about 2 days ago. I'm planning to go to the Apple store tomorrow and see if they can do anything about it. Will they swap it out for a new one if the problem still persists?

Unless you plan on also trading facebook in for a well programmed social network. If Apple does that for you let me know, I'll take one too!

----------

Do you EVER do anything besides make false and asinine accusations against people? You lack of significant contributions to this forum are becoming a sad, sad commentary on yourself. Since the rMBP came out, you've said it's laggy as hell and insulted anyone who has not had the same experience. Just get lost already.

I blocked this user...now his ridiculous comments are condensed to a small line that says, user has been blocked. My experience here has been SO much better!

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Is Chromium noticeably smoother than Chrome on your laptop, and if so, do you credit that to GPU acceleration?

I never use Chrome. Indeed I only use Chromium because my preferred browser still has problems with retina. I'm still trying to find a mouse gesture extension for Chrome, but none work on OS X, and I find the history navigation glacially slow on Chromium (as is Safari), and the memory use of all those running processes is amazing.

Why not install Chromium, it runs alongside Chrome as I understand so you have nothing to lose... I also prefer Chromium in that it doesn't install all the Google update crap Chrome come with.

For as much as I love my laptop, it pains me to see my browser of choice behave like such a hog. Every time I think there *must* be something wrong with the computer, I switch to Safari and it just flies in comparison. I really want Chrome to catch up.

Google are pretty good at pushing Chrome(ium) forwards tech wise, and they clearly have a goal to be retina friendly, as they updated very quickly compared to Firefox and Opera (thanks to mucho dinero on their side no doubt and the ongoing battle for "the platform" of power that Google's future depends on).

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I tried quite a few new RMBP's at the Apple store and pretty much all of them I tried had the lagging issue when scrolling up and down on Safari:confused: Just wasn't so smooth or buttery smooth. Seemed to lag a bit but at least it did not need to refresh the whole page like on the iPads when switching between tabs.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I don't have any lag save for complex websites (facebook, the verge), which also lag on any other computer I tried them on ;)

Try the chrome beta - is it any better? (pun not intended!)

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
I don't have any lag save for complex websites (facebook, the verge), which also lag on any other computer I tried them on ;)

Try the chrome beta - is it any better? (pun not intended!)

no it doesnt. super simple comparison: scrolling in facebook on the retina screen. drag it over to an external monitor and scroll again. since you're using an external its running the 650m. theres obvious lag on the retina while none on the external.

and chrome removed proper gpu acceleration a while ago due to a bug with the hd4000 which I don't think has been addressed yet. Chrome is slower (in regards to scrolling smoothness) compared to latest safari right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.