Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isoDUB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
I'm gonna be using my friends 8gb 4th gen iPod Touch for the foreseeable future, but I have no idea what to use it for. 8gb is too small for music, and the only thing I use my second gen for is the Logitech Touch Mouse app. Only thing I could think of is a email/school work/social media hub and games. Any ideas? And should I bother jailbreaking on iOS 6 (if there's even one available)?

isoDUB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Can't give it away though. It still belongs to my friend, but both of us are Android guys (he has a Droid X, I have an Xperia Play/Galaxy Player 5.0). I just though I'd play around with iOS since I have the opportunity, so I thought I'd ask you guys what I can do with the thing, since I haven't been on iOS since 3.1.3.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ugh. The iPod touch 4G is a horrible example of iOS.

Even the iphone 4 runs better. The touch is utterly starved of much needed ram.

Install a couple apps, jailbreak, play around with tweaks.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I'd use it a social network hub.. play some With Friends games and use Facebook / Twitter and stuff. Even then.. a used iPhone 4 costs the same as a new 4th gen now.. and the 4th gen like the above poster said is terribly lacking.

isoDUB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Guess social hub is it. Gonna check out the App Store once I get some free time this week. Might as well jailbreak too.

And in case it wasn't clear, I'll probably just be using it until my friend wants it back in a few months, free of charge, so price isn't an issue.

I'm gonna be using my friends 8gb 4th gen iPod Touch for the foreseeable future, but I have no idea what to use it for. 8gb is too small for music, and the only thing I use my second gen for is the Logitech Touch Mouse app. Only thing I could think of is a email/school work/social media hub and games. Any ideas? And should I bother jailbreaking on iOS 6 (if there's even one available)?

It's an iPhone without the phone. But as long as you're connected to wi-fi, it's a phone too. Download Skype or Viber and you can call people on any platform using those apps (or many others). FaceTime call other iOS users or Skype video call others for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.