Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
A few of my friends are getting 4S' again and selling their iPhone5, they are so disappointed with new phone. They say it just not Apple quality they used to buy. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Few of my friends are getting 4S' again and selling their iPhone5, they are so dissapointed with new phone. They say it just not Apple quality they used to buy. Your thoughts?

In what way are they so disappointed in the 5 that they are going back to the 4S? Please explain where the quality has let them down. :confused:

Is it a slight blemish. If so you need new friends!:rolleyes:

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Not apple anymore? Steve still helped design this model still. They all had some quality issues...

iPhone 5 - nicks and scuffs
iPhone 4- gouges and mars on the metal band
iPhone 3G- scratched bevel
iPhone edge- dead pixels, scratched bevel, scuffed back.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I kinda miss the glass backing of my old 4S.. the back of the 5 is such a scratch magnet

It's still a good phone, $99 on contract is actually a very good deal

kplu191

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Never had an iPhone til my 5. But I have to say I wouldn't even think of giving this thing up! It is perfect. Haven't used maps too much, but so far no problems there either. Love my new baby!

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
SSDD...

I remember reading the exact same crap when the 4S came out and everyone was saying how the 4 was better. Really not surprised.

Apple product A released
Apple product B (successor) releases

People whine about how B is worse than A. QC going down etc etc

Repeat for every product launch.

FWIW, I still have my 4S and it really is amazing how cramped the screen feels going back. I do prefer the less scratch prone body of the 4S to
be honest but the 5 blows it away in performance and display quality. Oh yeah, I heart LTE

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have a white 5 and would never go back to my white 4s (the missus has it now). Technically the 5 is better in every way.

However, I must admit that I prefer the design of the 4/4s ... that "steel band sandwiched between two pieces of glass" look is much much better IMO.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Oh yeah, I heart LTE

This. LTE alone is more than enough to make me keep the iPhone 5.

I'm wondering how many people returning their iPhone 5s are "disappointed" in what they've READ about scuffs and scratches, and how many actually HAVE a whole bunch of damage. I'm betting quite a lot of it is the former.

Also, for old times' sake: people seem to forget how much everyone whined over scratches on the iPhone 4 when IT came out... and how much "worse" it was than the 3G/3GS.

In any case, a GhostArmor, ZAGG, or skin from dozens of other companies out there should mostly solve any scuffing problems.

As for design: the new iPhone 5 look has grown on me. I used to prefer the 4/4S design for looks, but I can't go back now. The 5 looks very distinctive, especially in the vast sea of 4 and 4S models I encounter every day. And I remember when the 4 came out, I thought THAT was pretty ugly, until I held it in my hand for a bit and used it.

Last edited:

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
LTE is all I needed. Scratch prone? If that's what your worried about when it comes to phones then boy do I have a deal for you.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
Im a huge self confessed Apple fanboy, and to be honest, im a little annoyed at the moment. I have wifi issues, camera issues...........hopefully both can be resolved with iOS patches, but it still means i cant use my wifi at home. I didnt have any issues with my 4S, thing just worked.........well.

The joys of being an early adopter huh?

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
No way am I going back. I have an iPhone 5 as my personal phone and a 4S for work... I hate using the 4S now. I never thought I would feel so much of a difference with only a 0.5" screen gain.

Now, the 4S feels bulky and small. I did not expect that.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Im a huge self confessed Apple fanboy, and to be honest, im a little annoyed at the moment. I have wifi issues, camera issues...........hopefully both can be resolved with iOS patches, but it still means i cant use my wifi at home. I didnt have any issues with my 4S, thing just worked.........well.

The joys of being an early adopter huh?

Not necessarily; it's just bad luck. Faulty products can come along at any time in the release cycle. My 4S I got at launch suffered from a faulty logic board and got replaced and subsequent replacements had other issues like display light bleeds, loose home buttons, loud vibration rattle buzzing.

I am very happy with the quality of my first iPhone 5 compared to my 4S but that's just me. Everyone has their own different experiences and views obviously. I don't think anyone is qualified to make a blanket statement that one is universally "better built" than the other.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Not necessarily; it's just bad luck. Faulty products can come along at any time in the release cycle. My 4S I got at launch suffered from a faulty logic board and got replaced and subsequent replacements had other issues like display light bleeds, loose home buttons, loud vibration rattle buzzing.

I am very happy with the quality of my first iPhone 5 compared to my 4S but that's just me. Everyone has their own different experiences and views obviously. I don't think anyone is qualified to make a blanket statement that one is universally "better built" than the other.

im with him. my 5 feels way better built than my 4s. My 4s had a yellow screen tint for a few months until the adhesive "thinned".
only thing i miss is how the vibration felt in silent on the 4s. Wish they wouldnt have changed it to the same motor as the 4.. but really thats nothing.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Few of my friends are getting 4S' again and selling their iPhone5, they are so disappointed with new phone. They say it just not Apple quality they used to buy. Your thoughts?

why are they disappointed? The ENTIRE phone is improved. a few of my friends say it looks very similar to a 4 and 4s but to me it doesnt. Glass back was more durable as far as scratches but the design wasnt as good as this. Protruding glass doesnt look as good as flush.
processer, cameras, thinner, lighter, bigger screen.
I would never go back to my 4.

what else do you want in a phone? really? You want it to feel as heavy as the old ones? why? every internal on this phone is upgraded. Just because something is light doesnt make it feel less Luxury feel.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
No way...I picked up a clear case on ebay for $3 and it's probably the best phone case I have ever had....doesnt take away from the device and I also picked up one in black (not here yet). I love the feel, LTE, the speed of the processor, the camera, etc. The only thing left is for JB to become available.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom

Its not just bad luck. The wifi issues are effecting lots of people that have properly secured wifi networks.

I am happy with the particular piece of hardware i received, in terms of quality / condition etc. Its exceptional apart from wifi, but iOS 6 on the iPhone 5 appears to be the issue imo.

Thatcher

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Pontefract UK
I must say I'm partly disappointed with my iPhone 5. The build quality isn't great and it's all down to the anodized aluminium back.

Since the 21st it's been in a case with a screen protector and when I removed the case to see if I'd had taken any scuffs (Not dropped once) I was very surprised, every edge of the phone has a scuff where the aluminium's natural shine has come through and the back has also taken a few marks where there has been lint or whatever jammed between the case and the phone. To say this has been covered by a case and not exposed once in less than two weeks, I'm not happy about it.

According to Phil Schiller this is bound to happen with any aluminium product.....Where are the dints and scuffs on the band of my iPhone 3GS/4/4S then Phil? I don't remember having any.

I will be keeping the phone as I do love the other design aspects such as the screen size, weight and the speed of it. I compared the speed to my 4S and there's a massive improvement. The problem I have is that Apple have always made beautiful products that stay beautiful (as long as you don't drop them in the toilet RIP iPhone 4). This is the first product that I've been annoyed with. Apple Made a mistake and won't admit it. They'll change the manufacturing process without anyone knowing and the early adopters will suffer like always.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
What's gonna happen is just before the next iPhone launch, people are gonna make up reasons to swap out their black iPhone 5's for unblemished refurbs. It's quite the circus.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I must say I'm partly disappointed with my iPhone 5. The build quality isn't great and it's all down to the anodized aluminium back.

Since the 21st it's been in a case with a screen protector and when I removed the case to see if I'd had taken any scuffs (Not dropped once) I was very surprised, every edge of the phone has a scuff where the aluminium's natural shine has come through and the back has also taken a few marks where there has been lint or whatever jammed between the case and the phone. To say this has been covered by a case and not exposed once in less than two weeks, I'm not happy about it.

According to Phil Schiller this is bound to happen with any aluminium product.....Where are the dints and scuffs on the band of my iPhone 3GS/4/4S then Phil? I don't remember having any.

I will be keeping the phone as I do love the other design aspects such as the screen size, weight and the speed of it. I compared the speed to my 4S and there's a massive improvement. The problem I have is that Apple have always made beautiful products that stay beautiful (as long as you don't drop them in the toilet RIP iPhone 4). This is the first product that I've been annoyed with. Apple Made a mistake and won't admit it. They'll change the manufacturing process without anyone knowing and the early adopters will suffer like always.

The band on the 4/4s is stainless steel. And there were many many reports of the band getting scratched to feck when using a bumper. It was only after they applied a coating to the band after "antennagate" that it became less prone to scratching.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah, okay. Like every iPod ever. Or their beautiful white Macbooks. :rolleyes:

ipod-touch-back.jpg
Apple-Acknowledges-MacBook-Stains-As-Manufacturing-Defect-2.jpg

Thatcher

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Pontefract UK
The band on the 4/4s is stainless steel. And there were many many reports of the band getting scratched to feck when using a bumper. It was only after they applied a coating to the band after "antennagate" that it became less prone to scratching.

Yeah there may have been reports of scratching on the band but personally (with a bumper) I had no issues after 12 months with the 4/4S...I've had the 5 for 12 days and it's got more scuff on it. Are people just making this up because I'm not. Hence the whole "Scuffgate" BS....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.