Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakrat51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
So, I have an iPhone 4 with straight talk and need a jailbreak to get cellular data an mms to work. I had my 5.1.1 Jailbroken just fine and everything worked great. Then, 6.0 came out, so I waited for Redsn0w's tethered release. I got it to work, installed Cydia and tetherme, changed the network settings and life was great. I reinstalled some themes and the "Fake Carrier" app, however they didn't work. I figured it was just compatibility issues, so I paid no mind to it. This morning I realized that I couldn't get back in to my netwrok settings. I wen't back in to Redsn0w and did the "Just Boot". Worked fine, jet no change. When I do an untethered reboot, cydia is still installed and data and mms work as well. How is this possible if the phone isn't in "jaiblreak" mode? Other than having cydia, none of the jailbreak features actually work....

hakrat51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
That makes sense to me. Only thing that doesn't is that my Data and MMS still work. And TetherMe worked once. It's just odd....
Thanks tho!

EDIT: According to the list FakeCarrier, WinterBoard and TetherMe should work. However, they don't lol
I guess I'll just redo the jailbreak...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I have an iPhone4 with tethered jailbreak on iOS6.

I am using TetherMe to open APN settings for Straight Talk.

It works just fine for me.

As far as the WB issue, perhaps the theme you are trying to use is not updated for iOS6. Most themes have to be updated for every new firmware level.

As for the other hack, I use Zeppelin on iOS5, it is not even on the iOS6 list.

(Click for larger image)

Attachments

• IMG_0269.PNG
    IMG_0269.PNG
    245.6 KB · Views: 105

hakrat51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Well, the only thing I can think of is that something went wrong with the jailbreak. So I'm restoring / re-jailbreaking now. Clean start. Just thought it was odd that everything worked once and now nothing. Didn't reboot the phone or anything either. Oh well...:)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Rebooting is fine, as long as you use Redsn0w to select the IPSW, then use Redsn0w again for pwnedDFU and tethered reboot.

I have rebooted mine multiple times (as above) without any glitches.

hakrat51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Great...Not sure what's wrong now, but the JB went smooth (i think) and I'm now trying to install Cydia but when type "wget -q -O /tmp/cyinstall.sh http://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh chmod 755 /tmp/cyinstall.sh /tmp/cyinstall.sh" nothing happens. Only goes back to the iphone root... If it's not one thing, it's the other...FML

EDIT: Apparently the website I used had the wrong terminal code.... works now...ugh...

hakrat51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Well, TetherMe and FakeCarrier work now. So far so good. Haven't tried winterboard yet, as it's not that vital at the moment.
However, I do have a question. You mentioned that when rebooting I should use pwndDFU for tethered reboot. From what I read I thought I could do the "Just Boot" option for that. I thought pwnDFU was for restoring the phone...?
Could you explain that please? Thanks for the help btw! :D

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
A tethered boot is done using pwnedDFU via Redsnow.
Watch Redsn0w window, you will see Limera1n being applied.

But yes, you begin using the Just boot button in Redsn0w

hakrat51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
That confuses me though because it states "Enter Pwned DFU mode in preparation for restoring to a custom IPSW via iTunes.". Which to me means rolling back the iOS version, not booting the device up.
After installing Winterboard, the phone is telling me to reboot. Once I do this though, how do I bring it back in the Jailbreak mode?

hakrat51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I guess I was just reading wrong what he was telling me. Either way though, that's how I've rebooted my phone before and it was no longer jailbroken....oh well...here goes nothing...
Thanks for the help tho! :)

hakrat51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Ok, used the "Just Boot" option and I'm no longer Jailbroken.
I know for a fact I was jailbroken before because TetherMe, FakeCarrier and Winterboard worked. I had my theme installed and everything. But instead of just leaving it alone, I tried to reboot (like an idiot) and now my Jailbreak is no longer active. Gonna try it again, but I have this feeling it's not going to work... :(

EDIT:
It seems the "Just Boot" only works once, immediately after the JailBreak...
Also, when I use the "Just boot" option, i get the pineapple logo, so SOMETHING is working, however, none of my tweaks/hacks are working once the phone boots all the way. Am I skipping a step? I put the phone in to DFU Mode, Select the IPSW, click "Just Boot" and then wait....

Last edited:

hakrat51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Ok...what had happened was.... :p

Apparently springboard crashed. I had a little notification on the top of the screen telling me I was in safe mode and needed to restart. Once I did that, everything was back to normal.
However, when I had this problem yesterday and this morning, I did not have that message, or I was extremely blind.
Deep down I want to know why this wasn't as easy earlier, but right now I'm just happy it's working.
Thanks again for the help!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.