Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
So yeah iOS 6 came out almost 2 weeks ago and I guess pretty much everyone got his chance to test it out.
So I thought to write down what I think about the latest iOS overall, because I wanna share my experience and hear yours.

I never disliked a new version of iOS like the last one.

Here's why:

Maps Well, there's no need to speak about it since even Tim Cook apologized for it.
Siri Well this deserves some respect, a lot of improvements and new languages.
Facebook This is nice and useful for some.
Shared photo stream Seriously, how many people are going to share their photos via photo stream?
Passbook Same as photo stream: seriously how many people are going to use it? I bet it will end up like Newsstand..
FaceTime Calls over 3G. It took too much time, it should be added when FaceTime launched.
Phone A little change on the keypad and also when you receive a call you are able to reply with a message or add a reminder. Small update.
Mail Pull to refresh to see new emails and VIPs. Useful but nothing huge.
New App Store Slow, not stable and bad look. The only useful thing is that you no longer need to enter your password to update/download free apps.

Overall I'm not happy with this update.
There is definitely nothing huge, nothing.
There are even some deterioration (Maps, App Store, iTunes)
There are some nice graphical change (status bar, music app, weather app, settings more ordered)

I think the biggest iOS update was iOS 5.
iOS 5 was huge with: iCloud, iMessage, Notification Center, and much more.

I don't think you can be satisfied about this update, if so please give me some reason to be.

:cool:;):apple:

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Personally speaking, I think shared photo streams are brilliant and we use them all the time

I also think iOS6 is faster on my 4S than iOS5.x was

It's not a massive upgrade but I think it feels more polished and I like the tweaks to things like the music player, mail, etc and overall I think it's better than iOS 5

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I'm not sure I like the white background on the music player, but other than that there's nothing to upset me, just nothing to excite either.

For where I live (Portugal), Maps is actually far more useful than Google's maps were, with way more recent satellite images (I can see our car parked outside!)

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Personally speaking, I think shared photo streams are brilliant and we use them all the time

I also think iOS6 is faster on my 4S than iOS5.x was

It's not a massive upgrade but I think it feels more polished and I like the tweaks to things like the music player, mail, etc and overall I think it's better than iOS 5

I don't use photo stream and nobody I know use it.

Well I didn't speak about performances on iOS 6.
I just gave my thoughts on the new features but I have to agree my iPhone 4 is slightly faster than with iOS 5.

Hmm it could be: iOS 6 is better than iOS 5 (if you don't count maps and app store). But (imo) the jump from iOS 4 to iOS 5 is MUCH BIGGER than the jump from iOS 5 to iOS 6.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
They took a step backwards and it's getting stale. Your not the only one to think it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Hmm it could be: iOS 6 is better than iOS 5 (if you don't count maps and app store). But (imo) the jump from iOS 4 to iOS 5 is MUCH BIGGER than the jump from iOS 5 to iOS 6.

Says the consumer who doesn't understand anything about development. iOS6 added tons of APIs that are going to enable some really great apps once devs have some time to take advantage of them.

Never think that an iOS update is mostly consumer facing, they just have to have a handful of goodies for the crowds while building onto one of the best platforms around.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Says the consumer who doesn't understand anything about development. iOS6 added tons of APIs that are going to enable some really great apps once devs have some time to take advantage of them.

Never think that an iOS update is mostly consumer facing, they just have to have a handful of goodies for the crowds while building onto one of the best platforms around.

Well my thread is only about the new features not about the APIs/performance or stuff like that.. and based on the new features I confirm it again: the jump from iOS 4.x to iOS 5 is much bigger than the jump from iOS 5.x to iOS 6.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Well my thread is only about the new features not about the APIs/performance or stuff like that.. and based on the new features I confirm it again: the jump from iOS 4.x to iOS 5 is much bigger than the jump from iOS 5.x to iOS 6.

That's great for your thread. If you don't understand or want to acknowledge how API's allow for ever greater app experiences that drive the iOS ecosystem forward thats your problem.

Frankly I don't get the people who complain that iOS is getting "stale". Do we live in the ADD generation?

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I use shared photostream very often.
Apple just needs to tweak it and give the option for other participants involved in the sharing to add their pictures to the stream as well.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
That's great for your thread. If you don't understand or want to acknowledge how API's allow for ever greater app experiences that drive the iOS ecosystem forward thats your problem.

Frankly I don't get the people who complain that iOS is getting "stale". Do we live in the ADD generation?

Are you kidding? Have you...seen the.....uh.....

Oh look, a bunny!

MarcelEdward

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Maps The new maps app looks smoother than the google one.
siri Wow my ipads speak to me. But sadely does not understand me when I ask something and just replies something stupid. Dutch is hard to understand, i know.
Facebook I do not use facebook, will not start using it cause ios 6 has some sort of integration.
Shared photo stream Cool I can take pictures with my iphone and the appear automatic on my ipad.
Passbook Interesting, I wonder which dutch company want to have their coupons in the passbook app ?
FaceTime What is this for app ? I have not missed it.
Phone I can still use my iphone to phone someone :)
Mail The mail app is better than the desktop versions like outlook.
New App Store On the ipad it is cool, but on the iphone it is hard to find new apps.

xcode Ah here a some interesting new features and improvements. Apple is giving again lot's of interesting things to use in my aps, like directions in maps, the pass kit framework, the collection views, autolayout and so. I think the new ios 6 will enable the developers to create apps with more functionalities in it.

I think ios 6 is interesting and nice update. Off course some of the apple apps are not really usefull for me, but I do not really that there are few apps on my ios device wich do not use.
The only real disapponment for me is siri ...

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Maybe its not that sexy, but it includes system optimization, newer drivers, new system configurations. The whole point of OS upgrades is not including new and sexy things but to improve existing things. Thats why whole older generations of hardware like 3GS can run smoothly on new iOS.

You misunderstand what iOS upgrades mean.

Rad-o

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Heres why i liked it :
facebook intergration ,
Pull to refresh on mail
Landscape mode on safari
The new look on app store , i find it easier to use and explore
Guided access
I found battery life improved !

I only disliked the slow and unstable appstore :/

Any one agree with me ? ( i have ipod touch 4g so some features are not available ) :(

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I think there are two separate things to look at here.

1. iOS 6 IS an improvement. With the exception of maps, pretty much everything is better or the same. Plus, we may see all kinds of cool things with the new APIs. Overall, I have to say iOS 6 is a pretty good update and will be better when they get a point release or two out.

2. iOS 6 is also a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, the OS is fairly solid and everything works great. It's just that there really wasn't any major new additions to get excited about. Nothing mind blowing. Just relatively minor updates across the system for the most part.

Now, I have no problem with people being disappointed. There's some nifty things I would have LOVED to have in iOS 6. They're not there. That's a disappointment.

HOWEVER, my disappointment does not make this a bad update. I've give you that it's not very exciting like some past releases have been. But that doesn't make it "bad". So far it seems to be a fairly solid update adding nice little features here and there.

Hopefully iOS 7 will add some really cool and innovative new features. Would have been nice to have seen some this time around. But I'll still take a solid, if boring, update than nothing at all. Because at the end of the day, while I would like a cool OS, it's really little more than an app launcher to me. There are obviously features beyond that, but honestly, I probably spend AT LEAST 90-95% of my time actually using apps, not playing around with the OS. It's nice to have great hardware. It's great having a nice operating system. But without the software, it gets boring REAL quick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.