Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlboz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys, anyone know of a tool that will re-blank the serial number on a 2011 MacBook Pro? I've just had one sent to me from Apple and have made a mistake entering the serial number (an honest mistake) now Apple want me to void the replacement mb and order a new one which I will have to pay for!!

Any help advice or help?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
No. Those are set permanently. I assume Apple has some tool that can re-flash the whole thing, but it doesn't exist anywhere in the wild, or even for their own technicians outside of whatever place those parts go back to.

jW

jlboz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
No. Those are set permanently. I assume Apple has some tool that can re-flash the whole thing, but it doesn't exist anywhere in the wild, or even for their own technicians outside of whatever place those parts go back to.

jW

Thanks, that was the news I was dreading!! Does having the wrong serial number on the mb make much of a difference? The customer will be bringing the MacBook to me if there are any problems in the future.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why would you have to pay for the replacement? Did you have a replacement coming to you and didn't send the old one back?

jlboz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Why would you have to pay for the replacement? Did you have a replacement coming to you and didn't send the old one back?

No, I entered the wrong serial number on the replacement from Apple, I haven't sent the faulty one back yet.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Entered it where though? I don't recall ever entering my serial # on my computers.

jlboz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Replacement mb's from Apple come without serial numbers so you have to use blank serializer board v2.3 to enter the serial number for it, I did but entered the wrong serial number!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Replacement mb's from Apple come without serial numbers so you have to use blank serializer board v2.3 to enter the serial number for it, I did but entered the wrong serial number!

This seems...weird to me. You've spoken with Apple about this and they can't reflash in the store for you?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Of note, the Logic Board is not a user-serviceable part, which means the only way they would have sent you one is if you're a certified technician, and working for someone with GSX access. The idea that you don't know this all already and don't have access to the Apple's systems to find out all you need to know is really quite unbelievable. I don't know what you're doing exactly, but your story isn't really checking out so far. The answer remains the same regardless of your intentions, however. There is absolutely no way of removing a serial number once it's been flashed to a board, outside of Cupertino or whatever other secret location they use for that process (it probably requires a hardware tool of some type).

jW

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Funny thing. I used to work at an AASP and we would occasionally get a computer back from Apple(some were cheaper for us to send in than to repair in house) with a random disc in the optical drive. Once or twice it was a SN reset utility. Of course this was back before Apple was using Intel processors, so I doubt those discs would work anymore.

ggn1971

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Hello,
I bought a couple years ago a used replacement LB for my mid-2009 MBP from a bay's dealer (I don't remember his name, sorry), he offered me to flash my own S/N in the used board. And yes, the board I received had the correct S/N... I guess there are some people arround, especialy in the far east, who are capable of doing this kind of flash.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Oh I get it. I've never had to have a laptop replaced outside the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.