Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malaclypse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Has anyone else had issues with the EarPods' volume control sometimes not working on their iPhone 5?

When this happens to me (which is frequently), the play/pause button still works, but volume up/down does not. I have to remove and reinsert the headphones several times to get it to work again, and then it seems to keep working until I unplug them again.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know if it's my EarPods that are the problem, or the iPhone 5. I hope it's the not the phone. :confused:

vr6ators

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
I just went for a run with them and had a similar issue. Only the volume down wouldn't work and sometimes it would pause or go to max volume on its own (ouch)

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Swap your ear buds for another set. I went thru 2 pair of the old ones before getting the 3rd ones to work properly. Tiny components, not always perfect.

So far, so good on the new style. :)

Johnthehandyguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Using new earpods with iphone 4.
Everything started just fine two days ago. Now when I plug them in the centre button will start the music but won't pause, skip or repeat. Volume works.

Mefisto82

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
Solution ;)

Triyng "Reset All Settings"......don't work.
Trying "Hard Reset" (hold "Power"+"Home" couple seconds)....don't work.
Trying to clean headphones jack.....don't work.
Trying to plug/unplug earpods couple time......don't work.
Trying ..........don't work!

I understand why it happens ;) Previously I plugged earpods in macbook air (or PC)...and after that....earpods control don't work anymore :(

SOLUTION:
Connect the iPhone to a power source (NOT in PC/MAC)...and then plug in earpods.....and they WORKING AGAIN! ;)
Sorry for the grammar, I'm from Serbia ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.